1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/16/21 6:41 a.m.

I really appreciate Round2 re-issuing these old kits, but man...sometimes you go through the box and go, WTF? There's a bunch of extra parts I suspect were for a 1960s custom version (3-in-1 anyone?) plus a complete small block Windsor. A set of hubcaps on the chrome tree for wheels that don't exist. Some kind of underhood air ducting for a dual carb setup that looks suspiciously like it belongs on a Comet. The kit itself, if you removed the engine and roll cage, is probably two dozen parts total. It's like a snap kit that doesn't snap, LOL. Anyway, once everything is painted I bet it slams together in two days.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
11/18/21 7:50 p.m.

I decided I didn't have the patience to battle the March Indy car after all. Maybe this Memorial Day I'll drag it out. I've been wanting a Tamiya Sierra RS500 for years, but the asking prices on eBay are just nuts. I haven't seen one for less than 90 bucks for a while, and one guy on a British modeling forum said he recently paid £150 for one! When this one popped up for 50 a couple of weeks ago, with a $20 set of SK decals and a resin right-hand-drive dash, I bid the minimum just for the hell of it and won. So, this is my entry.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/21 9:01 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Ooooh, jelly!

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
11/19/21 12:08 a.m.

In reply to BenB :

Oh that's a great deal. I couldn't find a complete one for an affordable price, but I scooped up one that was missing the entire body. It uses basically the same molds as the road-going Sierra from Tamiya, which I also have, so I'm eventually going to bash the two together as a track-tuned street car.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/19/21 6:35 a.m.

Nothing photo worthy yet. Everything primed and started the painting process. Decided on a paint scheme using some left over colors. I think I may have solved the tire dilemma, although it will be two pairs of very different tires that seemingly are the same size. Ever have those two-piece tires you need to glue together? Yeah, I had some of those. So, drag slicks will become circle track tires.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/19/21 8:04 a.m.

Any tips for making a frame look rusty?

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
11/19/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

A stiff brush and some brown acrylic paint. If you want it to look like surface rust, just kind of dry-brush it on. Wipe off excess b/c it's acrylic and won't mess up the base coat. Trial and error is my usual method. Although I'm usually doing mud instead of rust, it should be a similar process. Hpiguysworkshop on youtube has some pretty good techniques in his videos although you have to skim through them to find one that he's doing weathering on. Let's see, this might be a good one to start with. Joe Dirt's Daytona He goes pretty heavy on this one though, I would start with less paint on the brush and build up gradually.

For extreme rust, carving chunks out of the frame should be done with caution and a sharp blade. devil Maybe a small drill bit also.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/19/21 3:47 p.m.

When I was into model trains I used chalks, mostly. Airbrushing can do some cool things but it's not that great for rust IMO. Maybe look for some model train videos where they are weathering rail cars.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/19/21 8:54 p.m.

Primed, sanded and added bondo to the Ford body. There were some extreme low areas. Lots more sanding to come...

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/22/21 7:23 a.m.

I'm going to be building Rusty Wallace's 1994 Tbird... the final incarnation of "Midnight." A car that won 13 races, and led over 5,000 laps from 92-94. It had 30 top 5 finishes in 38 races. I'd call it a pretty successful car, and I always thought it was so cool looking with its clean black livery, and lack of contingency decals. 

It occurred to me that I've never built a Tbird Nascar newer than the 89-93 body, so this is slightly new to me, lol. Monogram actually made quite a few improvements on this generation of car -vs- the earlier ones including a more detailed engine with more plumbing, and a more accurate cage complete with padding. 

I started last night by gluing the bumpers, and applying putty to fill the (rather large) bumper seams, and all along the edges of the hood to make it actually fit the opening. I spent many hours last night sanding! 

solfly
solfly Dork
11/22/21 8:44 a.m.

haven't been able to get started yet. kiddo has been sick.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/22/21 4:39 p.m.

When Bondo is required, I typically bow out of a build. wink

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/22/21 9:13 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

On mine bondo would not have been needed on the sides if I had not cut the doors out 30 years ago trying to hinge them. The seam filler on the rear roll pan is very minor too.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/22/21 10:45 p.m.

Mission creep setting in. Now with more ground effects.

11/22/21 11:12 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Yes! The crazier the Corvette, the better. All the wings and slats and spoilers!!

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
11/23/21 12:36 a.m.

I gotta remember to order Tamiya TS-36 Flourescent Red soon. Haven't even started building yet, but I did paint some stuff. Actually, I started building something else instead, but I want to stick with the 767b for this build thread because the other thing may never be finished because it's one of those weird projects. A VW "kit car" on a shortened pan with an "interesting" custom body that I won't be using because I've shortened a 427 Cobra body to put on it instead. Yes, this is weird.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/23/21 5:54 a.m.

Some progress has been made, but there's still a long way to go. Hopefully with the long weekend coming up I can put a dent in it.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
11/23/21 10:17 a.m.

Hoping to put primer on mine this afternoon.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/23/21 12:15 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes! The crazier the Corvette, the better. All the wings and slats and spoilers!!

Your challenge awaits.

11/23/21 12:48 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Your challenge awaits.

I love that car and that terrible campy movie.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/21 9:10 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Your challenge awaits.

I love that car and that terrible campy movie.

Don't encourage me worse than y'all already do.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/24/21 6:45 a.m.

I'm actually a bit surprised there was never a kit made of that abomination.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
11/27/21 10:05 a.m.

Got the primer and the first couple of coats of paint on the RS500. Gravity Colors (from Spain, NOT the US company!) base coat paint goes on flat, so I'll have to buff it out and clear coat it before decals.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/27/21 5:31 p.m.

Progress is slow, but it's coming along. Hard to find the time. I'm trying to give it at least 20 minutes a day.

Giving of real Word Bearers vibes.

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
11/27/21 6:05 p.m.

I dug up this old kit I started 5 years ago, and put away after I painted the wheels. So there's  a few broken parts, half painted things...who knows. Should be fun!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZ9kJy1e3Bm2iyuYWHjVlYFfnMKKD0ENvE7JiLluGFGSADI8engIbRi7ZSfQMRMW