1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/27/21 8:13 p.m.

After liquid primer and much sanding I put on a layer of Tamiya surface primer. Sanding will follow as well as some touch up for pin holes and a few scratches. Don't think this will be done. The engine is together and paint started but I haven't begun the chassis or the interior.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/28/21 8:19 a.m.

Hat tip to you, sir. I could never have gotten those flares that nice.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/21 11:15 a.m.

3 days left fellas...

*Looks at own pile of unfinished plastic*

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/28/21 1:52 p.m.

Done! I had some issues with the decals, mostly due to their age. I'm glad I didn't add the indented area in the fender for the emergency cutoff switches, because if I had, the decals wouldn't have fit. I've painted the rear hatch tiedowns and touched up the black window trim around the Labatt's decals since I took the pics.

Here's the cockpit. The resin rhd dash that came with the decals and I made seat belts with painted medical tape and hardware cut from foil from a contact lens container.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/28/21 2:33 p.m.

My Corvette is "close" but I need to spend some quality time with it to make that final push. I think I can do it still... 

*proceeds to not work on model*

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/28/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

That looks great!

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/28/21 3:18 p.m.

Mated the interior to the body. For the most part it fit well, but it was a little spring loaded and I couldn't figure out what was fouling things up at the front end. The windshield was right, the dashboard was right, couldn't see anything else. I buzzed down a couple of what appear to be irrelevant tabs and things lined up, but wouldn't stay lined up unless I was putting pressure on it. So I globbed the glue on generously and figured I'd just hold it till everything set. But after half an hour it was still just barely trying to separate itself if I relaxed my grip, and it was time to go to bed. I went to the garage to find some dead weight and came up with this solution.

I wasn't sure if I was going to wake up to a car with a collapsed roof or not; if that was the case, I'd build a convertible. Fortunately, it was fine and, even better, the interior was tucked up in the body like it's supposed to. So we're full steam ahead. There's paint drying around the firewall this afternoon and with any luck we'll get the chassis added to this mix tonight. I haven't put the brake rotor away, just in case.

Javelin
12/28/21 4:20 p.m.
Claff said:

Mated the interior to the body. For the most part it fit well, but it was a little spring loaded and I couldn't figure out what was fouling things up at the front end. The windshield was right, the dashboard was right, couldn't see anything else. I buzzed down a couple of what appear to be irrelevant tabs and things lined up, but wouldn't stay lined up unless I was putting pressure on it. So I globbed the glue on generously and figured I'd just hold it till everything set. But after half an hour it was still just barely trying to separate itself if I relaxed my grip, and it was time to go to bed. I went to the garage to find some dead weight and came up with this solution.

I wasn't sure if I was going to wake up to a car with a collapsed roof or not; if that was the case, I'd build a convertible. Fortunately, it was fine and, even better, the interior was tucked up in the body like it's supposed to. So we're full steam ahead. There's paint drying around the firewall this afternoon and with any luck we'll get the chassis added to this mix tonight. I haven't put the brake rotor away, just in case.

I got distracted while reading this thread and when I came back to it I thought I was in one of the garage cleaning threads or the NY Box thread and got really confused! laugh

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/28/21 8:13 p.m.

It's amazing how quickly "I've got six weeks" becomes "Wait! How many days?"

I think I can get there from here.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/29/21 12:18 a.m.

Ran into a little snag test-fitting the frame. Everything looked good until I put the hood on; that hood was not sitting flush because I had mounted the carburetor and/or air cleaner very wrongly and that wasn't going to work.

I'm sure I've said this before, but the beauty of building model cars is that they don't have to actually run and drive, so fixing stuff is actually pretty simple. I peeled off the air filter and sanded an eighth of an inch off the top of the carb, as well as hogged a bit of the inside of the air cleaner as well. That was enough to gain me the clearance to get the hood to sit flush on the body. Can't do that with a real car.

With that done, it was the moment of truth to mate the chassis to the body/interior combo. Everything was going to fit nicely, no spring loading (for once). But just to make sure the combo sits the way it should, I added a little weight while the glue dries overnight. I thought the brake rotor used yesterday wasn't going to be very stable and would make a terrible racket if it fell off sometime in the wee hours. So there's a couple blocks of wood applying pressure instead. Plus I figured I wouldn't tempt fate and leave all the weight on the car's roof for a second night.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/29/21 7:16 a.m.

Finished my cycling goal for the year last night, so I have some time freed up for corvette completion. 

I managed to paint the exhaust last night, so we'll call that progress. Here's where things sit right now 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/29/21 4:34 p.m.

Well folks, the deadline is nearly here and I'm sad to say that my unfinished/stalled project is going to remain exactly that.

I thought I would tackle the theme as literally as possible.

The toolbox and accessories were part of a set I got from summit racing but were repainted and weathered to fit the garage project theme.

The jackstands were 3d prints sourced from an etsy shop, again, repainted to fit the theme.

The display case was painted with a fine stone textured paint to simulate a way too clean garage floor.

I know my model building skills aren't up to par with the rest of you guys, but It was fun to chip away at this project for 20 minutes or so every night and i am pleased with the way it turned out.

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
12/29/21 4:41 p.m.

That's awesome!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/29/21 4:52 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Wow! I love the literal interpretation and execution of the theme. Well done. 

Javelin
12/29/21 5:20 p.m.

Dude! Epic build!!

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/29/21 6:40 p.m.

Love it!

12/29/21 7:14 p.m.

Can we get any more GRM than this?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/29/21 8:28 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Can we get any more GRM than this?

Sure. I could have not finished it.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/29/21 9:28 p.m.

OMG the cardboard on the garage floor

This is epic.

12/29/21 9:31 p.m.

Final sanding done and grey primer coat on. Will do pearl white under metallic green. Never done a green car before. Paint tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 3:40 a.m.

That is awesome. It looks like my garage but with a hope of progress.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 3:43 a.m.

Like every good Late Model, it's finished at the last minute, the paint is poor and still a bit wet, and It's a bit cheated up.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/30/21 8:38 a.m.

Love the Dart Wally. 

Progress on the Corvette continues. Got the chrome air horns glued to the carbs, that was a fiddly job. Also got the exhaust painted and connected - it lines up with the manifolds! Though i had to persuade them away from the block a bit, and gluing everything together pushed the engine up slightly and off the mounts, but hey it's only a model. Also got the upper radiator hose 'connected'. Couple more days! 

At breakfast this morning I realized this will be my second Corvette I've shared through these builds. Which is odd to me because I don't seek out Corvettes nor am I even a specific fan of them. But I guess when it comes to plastic models they catch my eye. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/30/21 12:17 p.m.

That diorama build is tremendous. Well done, and certainly a contender. 

I'm re-posting my pics because FB links never last and I want to be here at the end.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/21 2:46 p.m.

That is so cool.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y3AI88yOiXju4LAmK73oxIbSAOrVd9dAnAVWInF39LyioPPCmioEPNy03SB7zZTV