1 ... 6 7 8 9
slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/30/21 4:48 p.m.

I could cram this thing together in the next day and a half, but my heart wouldn't be in it. So instead I will post photographic evidence of my mistakes. I screwed up the red/orange part and tried to fix it and kind of fixed it but it took a while and then I couldn't find the fancy masking tape to do the black part so I tried to paint it by hand thinking it wouldn't be that bad, but it came out kind of bad. I think I want to start fresh on this one so that I'm actually happy with it when it's done. Which means cleaning up my workspace so I can find the good tape.

I think the dashboard came out alright, though.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/30/21 6:55 p.m.

I'm calling the '58 done. It will probably need some touch-ups here or there but this is as good as it's going to get before the deadline.

The only real snag I hit in the last few steps was figuring out the hood and grille trim. The hood trim was mounted, but the pieces on either side were not playing nice, like there wasn't enough space for it between the headlights and turn signals. I think I have the turn signals upside down and the little bump in the middle of them took up the space where the grille trim should be. Since this was a mild custom, dechroming seemed to be the way to go, though that involved taking the trim off the hood, which meant sanding and repainting the hood (more brush strokes). I think it works.

I think this is the first model I've ever built with opening doors. The drivers side worked well, but the passenger door doesn't sit quite right, so you'll notice all the pictures are of the drivers side.

When I mated the chassis and body, the heater unit on the right rear of the engine bay went SPROING and retreated to parts unknown. I'll probably find it sometime in the spring. Other than that, the engine bay looks OK. I just noticed that I haven't put the upper radiator hose on yet, oops! I think that's still in the box so I'll address that... eventually. I skipped adding the little chrome spears that go on the leading edge of the front fenders to continue the dechroming, plus I didn't think they'd sit flush in that area where there are big flaws in the mold that should have been filled if I knew what I was doing back when I started this kit.

I chuckle at my younger self for dit-dotting all the molded-in bolt heads with silver paint back in the '90s. The kit had three possible options for front ride height and I chose the one that would lower it the most. There were no corresponding choices in the rear suspension, so the car has a little rake to it. I think it looks OK but wouldn't have minded it with a level (lowered) ride height.

Wow that back bumper isn't even remotely straight, I'll probably go back and try reinstalling it later. Some may remember that this kit was missing some of the chrome bezels for the taillight lenses, and I took a chance of installing the lenses without them might look OK. I like how they turned out. Speaking of shouldas and couldas, it probably wouldn't have hurt to wipe down the car before pictures and remove all those fingerprints off the trunk lid.

Overall I'm happy with how the car came out. Even better, it's now out of the box and ready for display after being stuck in limbo for 30 years. But now I'm ready to take on something fresh.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

How cool is that! A 30-year in progress now completed. Well done!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/30/21 8:43 p.m.

Paint laid down. Pearl white under metallic green Tamiya acrylic. I like how it went on. Never done a green car before. I like it. And those flairs!!

Imagine if I had actually planned this better!!!

Now I have to leave it alone and let it dry. My weakest skill set is patience! Ha 

Move on to chassis and interior I guess. Sorry but it will not be done by midnight tomorrow. I'm going to make my own custom roll bar for it.

Javelin
12/30/21 9:19 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Oh man, that is HOTTT!!!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/30/21 9:52 p.m.

Oh man. That looks splendid 

12/30/21 11:16 p.m.

Thanks. I really like it and the pics hide all the imperfections! Haha 

New problem. The LT1 from the 94 Camaro is not gonna work. The accessory drive is completely different from the Vette. There are no modern Vettes in 1:20 scale to scavenge parts from. Perhaps it's time for a big block? Or high powered 350? No LS either.

12/31/21 11:34 a.m.

Any reason I can't sneak some 1:18 scale parts onto this build? No modern corvettes in 1:20 scale. Was think wheels/tires and engine. Maybe a racing seat. Thoughts?

Javelin
12/31/21 12:21 p.m.

Auto World / AMT repopped the 1/20 scale 1970 AMX and it comes with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Javelin
12/31/21 12:26 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Any reason I can't sneak some 1:18 scale parts onto this build? No modern corvettes in 1:20 scale. Was think wheels/tires and engine. Maybe a racing seat. Thoughts?

Here's a 1:24 AMX, a 1:20 AMX, and a 1:18 AMX left to right.

And here's what comes in this kit:

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/31/21 2:50 p.m.

Little over 10 hours left! 

I'm putting the finishing touches on the vette now, hopefully have my official entry pictures soon

Good luck everyone!

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
12/31/21 7:40 p.m.

It's gonna be close, lol 

live pic: 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/31/21 8:45 p.m.

Made it with time to spare! Here's my Corvette for the street car class.

I'm happy with how it turned out, and I had a good time building it. I honestly bought the kit as a joke because the "custom" version was so ridiculous. Not to say it isn't ridiculous, but I like it. As with most 80s kits some stuff didn't fit great, and was kinda cheesy, but overall it went together nice and I think it turned out sweet. Thanks again for hosting!

Javelin
12/31/21 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I'm not the earliest of risers lol

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
12/31/21 10:25 p.m.

Made it somehow! Just tire decals/writing and hood pins to go... with 90 min left! Lol. 
Will have to wait till tomorrow for Glamour Shots though. Happy New Years everyone!

Some amazing submissions (as always!) so far! 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
1/1/22 2:43 a.m.

I am a professional crastinator, but I just finished this. It is a very close replica of my first dirt track car. 

This is what I started with. The Tires in this thing are huge. I did the math and they would be 31 3/4 inches tall, 20 inches wide on a 16 inch wheel. Basically a sprint car right rear. So I found some that are a little closer to what the car actually had on it.

The Kit came with a Buick Nailhead 425, but I had a Buick 455, so I found a 430 from an old 69 Riviera kit and robbed it. I'll probably put plug wires on it later, but I didn't have the right stuff and sewing thread works but just doesn't look right.

I made the decals on my vinyl cutter. 

No one runs a windshield in a dirt car and I had some screen left from repairing Mom's screen door, so I cut a piece to replace the windshield. 

I posted these after midnight my time, I'm probably DQed but I wanted to post them. Sometimes I let my ego take over. not often, but every once in a while. 

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/1/22 10:18 a.m.

Here are my final pics. Always loved the simple livery of this car. 

100% out of box build. Powerslide decals, painted with Tamiya TS-14 and TS-34. 

1/1/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

That looks great. And how can you not like Rusty Wallace?

Javelin
1/1/22 2:32 p.m.

Last day here fellas, post up whatever you've gotten done. Awards tomorrow!

1/1/22 2:57 p.m.

You've seen all I've done. Sorry I didn't get further along.

Javelin
1/1/22 3:21 p.m.

What you've gotten done looks AMAZING

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/22 3:50 p.m.

In reply to drock25too :

Your Buick looks great. Those tires are comically large, the biggest downfall of those kits.  Plastic Performance Parts makes a number of good replacement circle track tires and wheels that I've used on them too.  Where did you race at?

BenB
BenB HalfDork
1/1/22 6:31 p.m.

Those are some great builds, guys!

1/1/22 7:11 p.m.
Javelin said:

What you've gotten done looks AMAZING

I shall finish. Mostly cause I like the body too much to let it sit for too long.

1/1/22 8:16 p.m.

Because I didn't finish the Vette on time here's the Detroit pizza I made for dinner instead.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W95ar4WwOywLi37qeqgILmRcyWEvMRyOhCVAZ6sBDScfljT3LfzCkyfcvM5Z5b8F