1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/12 5:37 p.m.

...but she's only four. What the hell is wrong with me?

Photobucket

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/28/12 5:42 p.m.

Awesome skill to have. Maybe when she's in High School VoTech and she could out weld all the boys.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/28/12 5:45 p.m.

It's never too early to learn how to weld. Good luck finding a shield that fits though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
8/28/12 6:24 p.m.

My 9 year old is pretty close to starting to learn. I'm not sure you need to be double digits to learn, but that's what I keep telling him.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/28/12 6:26 p.m.

She looks old enough. Fairly decent hand position on the wheel too, considering she can barely reach it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/28/12 7:11 p.m.

If she wears those shoes, she's gonna get some weld slag burns.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/28/12 7:43 p.m.

Mine is 16, I put a mig torch in her hands last month and let her get a feel for burning metal. She's interested in the process but a bit afraid of all the "sparky bits" but we'll ease her into it.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/29/12 6:26 a.m.

I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with you at all. I wish I knew how to weld so I could teach my daughters.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/29/12 6:42 a.m.

Mine was about that age when he started using the power tools. It can be done. All safety precautions ride on you, they don't know or understand.

Getting a helmet that fits would likely be your hardest part.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
8/29/12 7:17 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Sounds like a good reason to buy a TIG machine :)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
8/29/12 9:18 a.m.

I'm just going to throw this out there...

Just because you CAN raise your child to be different, doesn't mean you should. Think about that a bit.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/29/12 12:30 p.m.

my kiddos are interested in welding... they like being near the garage when sparks are flying... they LOVE to see when I pull the grinder out and start throwing sparks... they love to see the flashes of light when I pull out the MIG...

i'll prob let them stick some metal together in a few more years...

sad as by this age I was already using a few power tools with no supervision (mostly power sanders by this point... I did a bit of woodworking :)

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/29/12 1:07 p.m.

I wish my dad could have taught be to weld when I was younger. In my opinion it's always good to teach someone how to use any tool. Give them a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach them to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime sort of thing.

Honestly, the way the economy is going, you might be better served making sure to teach a child a skill like welding, rather than pushing them into honors level academia.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/29/12 1:28 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Getting a helmet that fits would likely be your hardest part.

Nah. I have a tiny head. Mine would fit her.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/29/12 1:40 p.m.

Nothing. You're doin it right.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
8/29/12 2:01 p.m.

You're a good dad

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/29/12 2:06 p.m.
sachilles wrote: I wish my dad could have taught be to weld when I was younger. In my opinion it's always good to teach someone how to use any tool. Give them a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach them to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime sort of thing. Honestly, the way the economy is going, you might be better served making sure to teach a child a skill like welding, rather than pushing them into honors level academia.

College grad unemployment is half the national average. She can get the degree AND be a badass welder - maybe even combine the two...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/29/12 2:11 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

+1, A person who can do differential equations, TIG like a pro and speak more than one language is damn near a super-hero in America.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/29/12 3:03 p.m.

I'm not saying don't go to college.

Some parents, push, push, push there kid into honors level programs above the level of college prep. They often do this at the expense of other things. A well rounded, well prepared person will earn success more often in my opinion.

Rather see a child be in the top ten percent of basic school subjects, and have a working knowledge of vocational type pursuits, rather than be in the top 1% and have no idea how to change a tire, or hammer a nail.

EastCoastMojo
8/29/12 3:20 p.m.

Woody, would you consider adopting? I would love to learn how to weld.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/29/12 4:27 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I'm just going to throw this out there... Just because you CAN raise your child to be different, doesn't mean you should. Think about that a bit.

I'm raising mine to be Hipsters. That way, they will be different just like everybody else.

Woody
8/29/12 4:31 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Woody, would you consider adopting? I would love to learn how to weld.

For you: anything. Swing by the house sometime.

EastCoastMojo
8/29/12 4:38 p.m.

Are you just saying that because I have a thing for Firefighters?

Woody
8/29/12 4:42 p.m.

Who says I don't have a thing for female bicycle mechanics?

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
8/29/12 4:51 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Give them a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach them to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime sort of thing.

Hmmm, I always heard it as build a man a fire and he'll be warm all day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aM0EPkukWKlvLWr2EhK5nLM7L3NiX3xTPkApvkINNv3y1buV5vaosP7a1IRx1Pxr