PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/21 3:01 p.m.

So now that our deck has been finished, one of the other things I was going to do is get a natural gas grill. Well, I ordered one. Problem is, I don't have a gas line outside yet. I've watched videos and I have an easy spot to tap into an existing line (gas fire place has a 90* fitting and shutoff valveright where I need). This looks like an easy job for me to do. Hardest part is drilling through the brick exterior wall.  That said, I'm not sure I'm allowed to do it due to local ordinance stating all gas line work must be done by a licensed pro. I'm getting a couple of quotes, but still think it is possible to be DIY.  Is this a don't ask, don't tell situation? Or do I suck it up and just pay?

I'll need to replace this 90* with a T, go 90* for 4-5 ft, 90* out the wall, then 5' and 90* up to the deck, top off with a 90* and a quick connect for the grill.  There is a shut off valve just to the right of the picture, and I'd add one outside as well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/14/21 3:04 p.m.

If you enjoy having home insurance, pay a gas fitter.  You can drill all the holes and do the grunt work, but if there isn't a permit pulled by a licensed person, you get to pay for your burned down house.

It is not hard to do, its just stupid for you to do it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/14/21 3:30 p.m.

A licensed installer is a "Liability Releaser".  =~ )  When drilling a hole through the wall, I would go oversized and sleeve it with poly or something and blow in foam insulation for weather, rust resistance and vibrations.  But a paid professional would know best.

Dan

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/21 4:58 p.m.

I am told that you can DIY the work and then just pay the pro to come out and inspect/sign off on it.  Never tried it though -- too afraid of blowing my house up. :)

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/21 6:54 p.m.

Not that this would happen to you, BUT, Me and a couple other guys were about 300 yards away from a house in which the owner was DIYing a gas hot water heater when it blew up. I'd never experienced the world shaking in front of my eyes, like it was vibrating so fast my eyes couldn't keep up with what was happening.  We were far enough away that there was no debris that reached us. One of the other guys was a veteran and stated that it was exactly what it felt like when an artillery shell exploded nearby.  It convinced me to never do the gas part of a job, anything else but not that.  I just wanted to share a cool story about being near a natural gas explosion, since I don't have one, I told this true story instead. :)

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/21 7:01 p.m.

Well, used one of those contractor finding apps.  Guy came out today and it's already done. Cost a bit more than I wanted but at least I don't have the liability now. He did see my garage though and looked at me and said, "you coulda easily done this". 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krQb74tbY6jcRawkJNOQkQZvj8UK5WiZtQjqxU8lW9BigydfHO4EVPjMKrJqEOBF