1 2 3 ... 5
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/11/22 6:37 p.m.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-delivers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

Full release of photos to start tomorrow at 9:45 (talking about it) and picture release starting at 10:30
How to watch in this link https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-updates-coverage-for-webb-telescope-s-first-images-reveal

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 8:54 p.m.

I put the image into the hotlink thread the moment I could hotlink it. laugh

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/11/22 9:45 p.m.

Super cool. I hope we get to see some side by side photos from both Hubble and Webb of the same view so that we can really see the difference. smiley

Edit: I downloaded the image and zoomed in as far as this computer can and It's pretty amazing that every little flicker of light, no matter how small that isn't a local star (the flares or star bursts) is a galaxy.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
7/11/22 10:05 p.m.

Wow! Those are galaxies all tilted in different directions? Can this telescope magnify individual star to check for planets?  The comparison of different photos from the two we have  sound interesting. And I just took the opportunity to see the Milky Way in a way I haven't seen in fourty years. Out in the sticks away from city lights. Seeing it that way again was very cool! :0)

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 10:33 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

Can this telescope magnify individual star to check for planets?  

In the short presentation today, they think they can get planets.

They also mentioned that the images they're taking can be depicting what was happening a long, long time ago in the systems they're photographing. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 10:43 p.m.

Our technology of the future will enable us to study the past. When we finally are able to identify life, it will already will have likely passed away. 

VolvoHeretic
7/11/22 10:55 p.m.

Here are two NASA photos of Hubble's views of the Universe for comparison:

The NASA Hubble Extreme Deep Field

And NASA Hubble Ultra Deep Field

Mr_Asa
7/11/22 11:16 p.m.

Isn't the Hubble a 50 day exposure while the JWST is something like 12 hours?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/22 11:18 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
MyMiatas said:

Can this telescope magnify individual star to check for planets?  

In the short presentation today, they think they can get planets.

They also mentioned that the images they're taking can be depicting what was happening a long, long time ago in the systems they're photographing. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/12/22 9:13 a.m.
MyMiatas said:

Wow! Those are galaxies all tilted in different directions? Can this telescope magnify individual star to check for planets?  The comparison of different photos from the two we have  sound interesting. And I just took the opportunity to see the Milky Way in a way I haven't seen in fourty years. Out in the sticks away from city lights. Seeing it that way again was very cool! :0)

I saw a Instagram Reel with Neil deGrasse Tyson, who spoke about the image.

The galaxies you see that appear kind of flattened, in the shape of arcs, are that way because of a super cluster of galaxies in between us and them. They got distorted from the gravity of that super cluster. It's why the galaxies also appear in a circular pattern.

The spiky-looking stars, they have diffraction spikes, which comes from the hardware inside the telescope because they're close (relatively) to us.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/12/22 9:16 a.m.

One interesting aspect of that first photo is a rather obvious lensing effect (flattening and warping from the curving of light by gravity) which appears to be caused by that rather fuzzy looking star (or cluster) in the middle of the photo.  Something that will be a lot more common in the JW shots because they show so much.

Mr_Asa
7/12/22 1:35 p.m.

Oh man.

These are absolutely stunning.

https://webbtelescope.org/news/first-images/gallery

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/12/22 1:45 p.m.

2001 A Space Odyssey Quotes & Sayings | 2001 A Space Odyssey Picture Quotes

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/22 3:57 p.m.

There's a pic in this article you can slide left and right on to compare Hubble-vision to Webb-vision:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2022/7/12/23205256/james-webb-space-telescope-first-images-significance-nasa

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/22 5:50 p.m.

How can we possibly be alone...

Amazing pictures, simply amazing.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/12/22 7:04 p.m.

Crazy!

Mr_Asa
7/12/22 7:05 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Crazy!

This one.

Just... This one.

VolvoHeretic
7/12/22 7:30 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Thanks for that link, I spent hours last night trying to find Hubble's view of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, but to no avail. sad And just for E36 M3s and giggles, here is my sketch of what I think the Universe really is, a giant torus that is just expanding from the Big Bang and contracting into the Big Crunch. smiley

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/12/22 7:42 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Thanks for that link, I spent hours last night trying to find Hubble's view of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, but to no avail. sad And just for E36 M3s and giggles, here is my sketch of what I think the Universe really is, a giant torus that is just expanding from the Big Bang and contracting into the Big Crunch. smiley

Fascinating concept...thank you very much for sharing it.

Do you suspect that mass & energy accumulate at the center of the big crunch point until it reaches some critical level that sets of the next big bang or do you suspect it's a continuous process where we we just go around and around forever or ???

Added later...

Maybe the Higgs Field follows the last mass ejected from the big bang producing a ribbon that follows the torus shape...thinking out loud but perhaps the presence of a Higgs Field somehow prevents a new universe from forming which causes the mass & energy to wait at the crunch point until the trailing edge Higgs Field ribbon closes into it; essentially a cosmic pulse jet.

Thoughts???    

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/22 7:46 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

VolvoHeretic
7/12/22 8:51 p.m.

lol, yep, that's me, Homer Simpson. smiley I just can't accept that the universe sprang from nothing and is just going to expand forever until it fizzes out. I guess I just believe in recycling. 

VolvoHeretic
7/12/22 9:42 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Do you suspect that mass & energy accumulate at the center of the big crunch point until it reaches some critical level that sets of the next big bang or do you suspect it's a continuous process where we we just go around and around forever or ???

Added later...

Maybe the Higgs Field follows the last mass ejected from the big bang producing a ribbon that follows the torus shape...thinking out loud but perhaps the presence of a Higgs Field somehow prevents a new universe from forming which causes the mass & energy to wait at the crunch point until the trailing edge Higgs Field ribbon closes into it; essentially a cosmic pulse jet.

Thoughts???    

Lol, you lost me at Higgs Boson. I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag with my knowledge of physics. I'm just assuming it's a continuous cycle driven by gravity. The only thing I do know is that it's all smoke and mirrors and just a big elusion. Just little force fields of energy that mimic solid objects.smiley

Edit: To clarify, it is us that is expanding away from the Big Bang singularity, not the other way around, the Big Bang racing away from us. I am just thinking that we are racing outward back to the singularity. Conservation of energy?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/12/22 10:47 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:
RX Reven' said:
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Added later...

Thoughts???    

Lol, you lost me at Higgs Boson. I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag with my knowledge of physics. I'm just assuming it's a continuous cycle driven by gravity. The only thing I do know is that it's all smoke and mirrors and just a big elusion. Just little force fields of energy that mimic solid objects.smiley

Edit: To clarify, it is us that is expanding away from the Big Bang singularity, not the other way around, the Big Bang racing away from us. I am just thinking that we are racing outward back to the singularity. Conservation of energy?

Since it's broadly believed that the singularity was an infinitely small point, I think the only way to fit the entire universe into zero space is if information is actually what the universe is fundamentally made of.  In other words, not "force fields of energy that mimic solid objects" but information telling things to have the appearance of mass and energy.

I think (probably too much) about tests that could be devised to detect information effects.  If there are limitations on how much information a particle can contain, we may see some weird "classical physics violating" effects.

The two best effects I've imagined are what I call quantum probability and quantum angles...maybe it's not possible to have a probability and/or angle below a certain value because the particle isn't capable of containing that much information. 

Some physicists believe that gravity is caused by expansion pressure...we aren't being pulled towards the earth due to a gravity well rather the earth is pushing up on us as it expands.

VolvoHeretic
7/12/22 11:28 p.m.

Thanks for sharing that info. I love science but then they have to throw in all of that pesky math and those equations and then not so much. smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/22 11:32 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Well, the "speed of light" has been proven to actually be the "speed of information" or maybe "the speed of propagation".  If the Sun disappeared this instant, for instance (heh), it would take eight minutes for the Earth's orbit to change.  (Specifically, haul ass in a straight line, curving towards whatever gas giant was in the trajectory's vicinity)

In a way, this makes sense, since light has no "mass" therefore its speed should be infinite.  

This makes quantum entanglement even more interesting.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sIgJV1ZX3333b4HnveUE953l6upVv0fbqV8TPM2OX8wo3K5djkKlfi7uNN73PMFM