1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/14/22 3:11 p.m.

Wife told me - Jay burned - hope all is well. 

I'm working on my mower putting on a new gas line on Saturday and I was thinking of my wife's cousin that had a serious mower gas fire burn 5 years ago. 

Then Jay. 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jay-leno-burned-car-fire-face-injuries-severe-1235432183/amp/

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/22 3:19 p.m.

Ye olde carb backfire?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/14/22 4:53 p.m.

Happened to my father in law, many years ago.

He declined to let them take off the arm, healed up okay.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/14/22 4:55 p.m.

Probably a good time to ask: Everyone here have good, charged fire extinguishers in the garage? 

David S. Wallens
11/14/22 4:56 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/14/22 4:58 p.m.

Yes. The house has 4 total. I'm proud of that. Garage, basement, kitchen, upstairs closet.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/14/22 5:05 p.m.

There is a possibility the Jay Leno could eventually be killed in a steam car explosion.

Imagine the confusion of people in the future reading that....

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/14/22 5:43 p.m.

He brought out a very old Fiat race car to the French Italian car show last weekend  , 

I hope it's not too bad and he recovers quickly.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/14/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

He was working on a steam car according to an employee, but it was sprayed gas used as fuel to create steam that burned him.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/22 6:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Probably a good time to ask: Everyone here have good, charged fire extinguishers in the garage? 

Yes dad

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/22 7:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Yes dad

The Mrs. and I give fire extinguishers as wedding presents to our children's friends.

David S. Wallens
11/14/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Good call. 

I think I have three in the garage, not counting the halon-type bottle in the 911.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
11/14/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Thanks! Have been meaning to check my house one. This post reminded me and all is good..

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/14/22 9:05 p.m.

Here's a video where a reporter stopped George Swift, one of Jay's long time employees, on his way out of the garage. He told the reporter Jay had been working on a steam car, it sprayed gas from the steam car's burner and that caught fire.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/22 9:15 p.m.

Thanks for posting that link Stuart.

I hope he recovers quickly, and I suspect that Jay would understand that Car Guys would want to know what he was working on at the time of the accident. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/22 1:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Yes. The house has 4 total. I'm proud of that. Garage, basement, kitchen, upstairs closet.

Damn, I need to follow your lead. We only have one in the garage. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/22 2:22 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Some might ask why upstairs ? Well, you go down the stairs to get out, but if they are on fire, you either jump out a window (awful,  and unlikely with a toddler involved) or you fight your way out.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 11:01 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Anywhere in my shop is not more than 3-4 steps from a fire extinguisher. I'm a firm believer in the things. There are 5 of them in these two pictures. 

20171231_091914.jpg

20171231_091905.jpg

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/22 11:26 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Great Call. I learned this a scary way (got away with it not being the hard way). I was welding on one of my machines and a spark lit some oil and leaves in the bottom of the engine compartment while in the shop. It quickly escalated to a full fire. I got it out but it was decision time to run or fight. After that I changed policy in the shop:

1- Ensure there are no combustibles where welding (just like at work)

2- Added 3 fire extinguishers in the shop; 1- on my welding cart, 2- Water based rechargeable one for first line of defense, 3- large dry powder extinguisher which is inspected regularly.

3- Don't weld if I won't be in the shop afterward. If I have to leave for some reason I set a timer to remind me to fire check.

Last changes in the house. Added fire extinguishers to each upstairs bedroom, have one in the kitchen, Also have fire ladders in the kids upstairs bedrooms. I hope this is all overkill but for the couple hundred bucks I have in it it's cheap insurance.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/15/22 11:39 a.m.

Thanks for the reminder on the extinguishers. I was just checking mine last week, both are ready to be recharged or replaced. And I probably need to add another 2 so I have one in the kitchen, basement, garage, and upstairs. 

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
11/15/22 11:40 a.m.

Hopefully He's going to be OK.

As for Fire extinguishers , they literally saved my house.  One on each floor.   Almost exactly 8 years ago today, came home to smoke alarms going off and barking dogs.  House slightly full of smoke.  Head to the basement, cieling is on fire. Turned around and grabbed the extinguisher, and pulled, pointed and sprayed.   Put out the fire before the firemen got to the house. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/22 11:42 a.m.

I do have one in the garage, but it's pretty old. I need to check the date on it. Thanks for the reminder.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/22 12:05 p.m.

I also have a 50' garden hose and nozzle hooked up in the basement laundry room that I had ready incase I had to fight my way upstairs to escape before I installed egress area wells to replace the old hopper windows. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
11/15/22 2:00 p.m.

This makes me think I need to up my fire extinguisher game at the house.  There's a small ABC extinguisher in the kitchen.  And whenever I'm working on stuff in the garage that could carry any fire risk I grab the 5 lb Purple K extinguisher out of the back of the Jeep and keep it close by.  A big foam extinguisher in the garage would probably be a good idea. 

Hardly ever out of reach of one on the boat, but that's a bit of a different situation. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 2:51 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I also have a 50' garden hose and nozzle hooked up in the basement laundry room that I had ready incase I had to fight my way upstairs to escape before I installed egress area wells to replace the old hopper windows. 

Whenever we get to a house fire and the homeowner can't be found, we always follow the green line. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4BuYzJ1dJgEWmx6JD1EKHNVDy0QNeUZ7FugF0wfskUJd5Ys7lTuAXFTRrv9nnwje