Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 3:08 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

For real.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
11/15/22 3:57 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Some might ask why upstairs ? Well, you go down the stairs to get out, but if they are on fire, you either jump out a window (awful,  and unlikely with a toddler involved) or you fight your way out.

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sounds any less awful or unlikely than jumping.

We keep one of these in each upstairs bedroom:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert/5013490131

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/16/22 7:33 p.m.

Youtube video update on Jay's surgeries, condition, etc. given by his doctor at the burn center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVvt50xdvNs

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/16/22 8:20 p.m.

Because I do not know , 

if you are on fire from gasoline , what is the best thing to put the fire out ?

will the chemicals in the fire extinguisher contaminate the burns ? Or is water the best thing , 

Get well soon Jay , I hope to see you at the Woolley park British show in the spring .

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/22 8:54 p.m.

californiamilleghia, Not this. :)

I, after years of only driving my 1800 a few miles a year on a gravel road, finally had my local town build a 1/8th mile drag strip at the local state fair grounds (Long Story). I always added a pint of gas cleaner every year to try and preserve the fuel (way before Fuel Stabilizer), so after driving 50 miles to the strip, I was finally ready for my first drag strip run ever. After driving around the bleach/water prep, I staged and while getting ready, just then, the thing started to misfire. I pulled out of the staging area and drove to my Mother in Law's house to diagnose the problem, expecting some of the Injectors where plugged.

At Mom's house, I unhooked the injectors and had them laying over the valve cover and since I had a Mallory Super Coil which had the distributor coil wire screw-locked into the coil, I just wedged the distributor side of the wire under a bolt to ground it out. While Mrs Heretic was cranking the starter, I was watching the spray patterns of the injectors and saw two that were plugged. Half of a second later, the coil wire slipped out of position and there was a little arc. All of the gas that had sprayed out of the injectors caught fire including the gas on my hands. Now involved in a scene from the Fantastic Four, the Torch, I shoved my hands into my armpits to put them out. As I watched 4' flames engulf my engine compartment, I noticed that Mother had a rain barrel with a 5 gallon bucket of water sitting 6 feet away and scooped up 5 gallons of water and threw it into the engine compartment.

The fire was doused and I only had to later electricians tape a few wires, and after being released from the hospital with only mild 1st degree burns I drove my 1800 and my wounded pride home.

(Mrs. Heretic here...) true story.  He looked funny with no eyebrows or arm hair that were singed off.  Funny after I knew he was ok.

VolvoHeretic
11/16/22 9:06 p.m.

Moments earlier...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/16/22 9:40 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Because I do not know , 

will the chemicals in the fire extinguisher contaminate the burns ? Or is water the best thing , 

Speed is the best thing. Whatever will work the fastest. Fall and smother it if you can or douse yourself with water. Water works by cooling and smothering, but you need a sufficient quantity. 

Don't hesitate to use an extinguisher if it's available. Most are just baking soda. Dry chemical extinguishers work by interrupting the chemical chain reaction necessary for fire.

Infection isn't really a huge concern when you're still on fire. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/22 9:46 p.m.

Yep.  If one is on fire, the primary concern is no longer being on fire, all other considerations are problems for the future.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/16/22 9:47 p.m.

The Fire Triangle has evolved into the Fire Tetrahedron.

Remove any one component and the fire goes out.

VolvoHeretic
11/16/22 10:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Yep.  If one is on fire, the primary concern is no longer being on fire, all other considerations are problems for the future.

lol, times 10 yes

VolvoHeretic
11/16/22 10:34 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Because I do not know , 

Speed is the best thing. Whatever will work the fastest. Fall and smother it if you can or douse yourself with water. Water works by cooling and smothering, but you need a sufficient quantity. 

Don't hesitate to use an extinguisher if it's available. Most are just baking soda. Dry chemical extinguishers work by interrupting the chemical chain reaction necessary for fire.

When baking soda heats up, it creates carbon dioxide which smothers fire. The same reason they put Borax in cellulous (ground up newspaper) spray in attic insulation.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/16/22 11:45 p.m.

A handy rhyme to help you remember.

If there's flames upon your person, flail about and they will worsen.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/17/22 7:57 a.m.

Mrs. 914 told me Jay had skin graphs yesterday,

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/22 9:52 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Because I do not know , 

Speed combined with not panicking is, in fact the most important thing.  I've actually been on fire from gasoline.  I had gas spray all over my arm and on an old school trouble light when I disconnected a fuel line.  The bulb burst when the gas hit it igniting the fuel on my arm.  I grabbed a shop rag and wiped it down my arm smothering the flame and removing the excess gas.  It looked very dramatic but because it's the vapors above the fuel that burn and I was able to quickly remove the fuel my arm never even felt hot.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/17/22 2:55 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/22 3:12 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

The standing joke is, if the Daily Mail did a story about rain, you would have to question the existence of water and/or clouds.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/17/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

In this case the Daily Mail article appears to be correct, although it's just a reprint of what other news sources have already reported.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/22 10:16 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

In this case the Daily Mail article appears to be correct, although it's just a reprint of what other news sources have already reported.

The last few years that's typically what they are, but with a lot more pictures. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EdbmuyOczsPPlA4H4j0RfqUP88Kc9B5cIneIDlgafRB8oyudFhcaim8iBZaN5LE1