1 2
Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/24/19 3:08 p.m.

LOL

My mom sold cemetery plots, based on cold calls,  to people that were still living. I don't know if that's any more or less difficult than selling life insurance but I don't think I would even try it. She didn't start working until she was 40 and that was her first job. She did very well at it. Some people have it and some people don't.

I think I'd prefer to sell cars. That looks like fun, but I'm pretty sure it's horrible.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/24/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Real estate seems to be feast or famine.  A MINI club friend has been an agent for many years. 2018 was his best year ever - he did so well he ended the year treating himself to a new M-B E350 Wagon.  2019 has been less than half as good, from what I can tell.

I am too much of a natural engineer, which makes me a terrible salesman. Combine that with my training as a journalist and PMs generally keep me away from clients until the project begins.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
12/25/19 9:15 a.m.

I guess the question here is, what makes you think you're going to be the Mule driver if you take this job?  Cause to me it sounds like you're going to be the whipped Mule. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
12/25/19 10:32 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Someone sold him (or he sold himself) on thinking it was going to be easy. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
12/25/19 12:30 p.m.

The money you'd spend on a more fuel efficient car would buy tons of fuel for your current truck...

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/25/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

It's not just fuel. A truck that old will need repairs usually at the worst possible time.  It only takes a Few missed appointments or arriving all dirty and late before you not only lose the sale but get a reputation you just don't want want in sales. 
 You simply must have reliable and tidy transportation in sales.  I'm sorry but an old C30 won't cut it.  Maybe in construction but not sales. 
Besides something like that reeks of desperation. Definitely not conducive of a quick close. Remember each trip made to close has its time cost and actual transportation cost.  
I used a Corvette ( another vehicle not to use in sales) that quarter my sales dipped by 33%.  When I returned to using the newish SUV sales popped right back up. 
First impression do matter.  
Those refurbished VW TDI's  at around $10,000 are probably your best bet in this situation.  The dealership will know how to get poor credit financed even with little or nothing down.  Interest rates will be high if your credit isn't good but it's deductible.  
Just another cost or risk of taking a sales job.  

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/26/19 3:56 a.m.

I would take the forklift job over the insurance scam any day, could you rent a room one night a week and maybe do pizza delivery or something similar til the geo is online? 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/26/19 6:27 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Looking at a very cheap Geo Metro for an interim car, purely for the mileage.

Should have the Alfa Romeo Spider running this summer.

If I can't drive a sports car for this then F' the whole deal as I do not have or want any "Normal" fuddy-duddy cars.

Be very honest with yourself and think long term.  Not this job long term but about your life long term.  
First the forklift job sounds like a lot better fit.  At least you know you will be making money.  Not a might make money job  ( which commission jobs always are) 

Second set yourself up to succeed. Just how reliable do you honestly expect the Geo metro to be?  If you are 100% certain it will get you to work everyday without fail, on time and never break down , fail to start, need a new tire, or a part that needs to be ordered.  You go get it.  Work out the best deal you can, good reliable transportation is worth a few extra dollars. 

On the other hand it's not the most common car made. Parts might be hard to get, it's older, etc. So how long do you expect to rely on it?  

I bite the bullet as soon as you can and start thinking long term. Good new cars depreciate sure but not until you sell them after you've gotten the good out of them.  10 years - 20 years isn't unusual on a good reliable new car.  They are easier to get than you would think even with no or poor credit. 
My son-in-law just bought a new Kia SUV  Nothing down, ( except an old junky minivan with a bad transmission that he owed more than it was worth ) and less than a month ago declared bankruptcy.   
Nothing down!  
Bad. credit. 
He hadn't really worked at a job other than cleaning a building nights and weekends for the past three years.  It doesn't come much more minimum wage than that.  
It wasn't easy, The new car dealership F&I guy( finance and insurance)  worked the phones for 8 hours before finding him the best deal he could. 
Payments were high but $100 a month less than he had been spending over the last 4 months keeping it running.   Interest was high but if his credit improves he can refinance it at a lower rate and lower payments. Something anyone can always do.  

My son in law worked the phones the day before calling dealership after dealership until he found a hungry one. laying his cards on the line. 

Yes spending $10-20,000 is hard to swallow knowing depreciation and all that  but $200-400 a month for transportation that will last you a decade or more. Without a lot extra for repairs( just maintenance)   Works out to be less than $100 -200 a month over that decade. That's assuming a 10 year old car is worth nothing. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
12/26/19 7:14 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

It’s tough to get financed with no job, credit is irrelevant at that point. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/26/19 11:29 a.m.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you looking for jobs?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/26/19 1:08 p.m.

Try Indeed. Just about every company posts on it, for just about every job. I didn't know companies still even used CL for job ads.

I'm not exactly sure where you are, what you wanna do, experience, etc etc. But a quick search for Carson City w/ a 25 mile radius and $10/hr+, there's almost 4,000 jobs posted.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/26/19 1:48 p.m.

Use indeed to find open jobs. For example, you'll do a search within your geographic area and find out that ACME is hiring for its Random Position, and you look like a great fit. 

Do NOT apply on Indeed. Apply directly through the website. Read the description closely, re-write your resume to include specific phrases from the job description. You don't have to lie here, but have some creative license. Don't let a single missing requirement stop you from applying.

In this job market, often times a lot of those requirements are mere suggestions. I have a posting out right now that the only real requirements are passing a background check, expert Excel skills, and the ability to show up showered every day and hit deadlines. Everything else, we'll ignore if someone can get us those top 3. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
12/26/19 5:24 p.m.

Sounds like the forklift job sounds the most promising. I've had good results with ZipRecruiter.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/27/19 8:37 a.m.

Is there something like Labor Ready or another temp to hire service by you?  We get most of our shop/utility guys through a similar service, its really nice for us because its try before you buy, its nice for you because they can put you to work the same day.

The pay isn't as great at a Temp to Hire but you do get work and experience.  Most of those places care about you being reliable and being able to pass a drug test.  Anything else is icing on the cake.  Once you prove yourself out at a company that is a fit for you, you can always approach the manager about becoming full time.  Temp agencies cost us more than a direct hire but are worth it because in this job market there are a lot of clunkers out there.  Basically if you are not working, you don't want to be working.  

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/27/19 8:45 a.m.

The best time to find a job is when you already have one. I'd just take the first entry level position to stabilize my finances and keep looking. GL.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/19 9:20 p.m.

I spent a good bit of 2019 working in life insurance sales for new york life.  I won nearly every award you can win, in a very wealthy area.  I made great money at the start that then went to almost nothing, and I basically hated myself.  I'm a very positive guy and great with people, but I really felt like I lost the ability to have a real relationship with someone.  I wanted to sell them something and they knew it.  I hated it.  On top of that, the business was extremely shady.  I quit and looked in sales quite a bit, I even started a thread here about it.  By an odd turn of events I got on the path of something else that I really really enjoy, pays pretty well, and I get payed every two weeks.  I'd be happy to talk to you more about my specific experience, but I'd say run.  I was the perfect candidate and I couldn't hack it.  I think to make it you really have to have a number of wealthy people buy from you in the beginning, or take over the business of someone who has done it for several decades- that was my experience at least. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/29/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

The numbers should tell the story. Only 5 out of 100 who start  in sales remain in sales 5 years or more. Of those who remain 5 out of 100 make average or better wages.   
      Then out of 100 of those who do make average or better wages only 2 will make 6 figures a year. 
   In my 40 years in Sales I know of only one person who was able to retire.  
      Now that is slightly misrepresented.  Sales is often a needed step on the way up through the ranks of management. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1qVc7in4YirAEdEmDefrgcRv6smqvEpLv0CQLucvScQVG0XcEzQxM3upyHgt0ht