1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/18/19 11:23 a.m.
SVreX said:

143 miles each way. 

Next job may be 305 miles each way.

Oh well...

I'd hope your next job includes an apartment. Otherwise that is 8-10 hours round trip, which means with an 8 hour work day, 6 hours of sleep and no time to do.... anything else. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/18/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

It does. 

I stay near work, work 4 days, and take 3 day weekends every weekend. 

I actually only make the commute once a week (but it is still a lot)

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
11/18/19 12:12 p.m.

I went from 22 miles round trip to nearly 130 round trip, same job, nearly the same pay.  I'm making a lot more in OT pay now, because I volunteer for it more, 8+ hours a week in OT.

I wouldn't do that again.  Abuse on cars, fuel costs, time away from home and family etc.  Luckily this is probably that last house I'll ever buy, and I'm pensioning out of this job in 13 years.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/18/19 12:20 p.m.

I went from a 60 mile round trip to a 20 mile round trip. Same pay, but I also get profit-sharing at this one. Drive time is still the same, too, thanks to all the damn traffic and street driving this job has.

Still not close enough for me, which is why I'm eyeing a certain GPS company down the street from me. I'd even be willing to take a pay cut if my commute could be 4 miles round trip.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/18/19 1:51 p.m.

If it was  stop and go traffic everyday , you start your work day in a bad mood and are in a bad mood when you get home......

If it's a nice road with little traffic then you can relax some and not use all those cuss words :)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/19 4:00 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

If it was  stop and go traffic everyday , you start your work day in a bad mood and are in a bad mood when you get home......

This is why I try to leave my house early, usually no later than 6:30. Because even though my boring short drive is all surface streets, at least that early the roads are still fairly empty compared to me leaving at 7:30-7:45.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
11/19/19 8:36 a.m.
Duke said:
MINIzguy said:

With that said, I am thinking of moving 11 miles from work and into the city (Philly), cutting my commute in half. The main driver for that is to have a better social life as Delaware is soul sucking for me.

Where are you in Delaware?  Im in Newark and we have a small but pretty active sports car club you could get involved in.  We do autocrosses, road rallies, and drift events, as well as some social stuff like museum trips in the off season.

Duke, we're friends on FB but I think you don't recognize the username wink Autox isn't enough to get me to stay in a state.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/19/19 9:16 a.m.

I live 10 miles from work and think that's about 7 or 8 miles too far. I'd hate to live farther away. Time spent commuting is time wasted. I love driving but hate commuting. Unfortunately those 10 miles take me up to 30 minutes some days thanks to Columbus rapidly becoming a "real city."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9YOPv9QIEbeDm8Ey9Vvncx8B8t8EptbEjRKZKwwzbe2na9IGPyxdRWUYS8xNlqXk