Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/27/21 12:18 p.m.

The older I get the more I really like buying the factory parts.  I need brakes on my 2016 Silverado and on Rock Auto I lean towards the AC Delco parts.  Or are these parts crap? 

What say the hive on getting brake parts for a DD 26,000 mile a year truck?  

This is my truck but I get a work allowance for it and I can only keep the truck 6 years total so I might only keep it 2 more years.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/27/21 2:19 p.m.

Koe powerstop.

wae
wae UberDork
2/27/21 2:23 p.m.

I've done a bunch of cars with the Powerstop kits.  '97 K1500, '00 Excursion, '04 CR-V, 'somthin Liberty, '17 Outlander, '01 Ram 2500, and at least one other one that I can't remember off the top of my head.  Only problem I had was when I ordered the RWD set for my truck instead of the 4WD version and that's my own damned fault.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/27/21 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I like saving money as well as the next guy but if you're going to sell your truck in a couple of years you should consider having the dealer do it. I understand the difference in cost between DIY and the dealership  but it's a nice value to have on your carfaxs report. I'd also do the next few oil changes at the dealership as well. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
2/27/21 3:40 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

There is benefit to having repairs from the dealer on carfax, but not nearly enough to justify dealer costs. Dealer costs + parts cost markup? No thank you. 

I try to do factory toyota parts when I can, but buying from ebay/amazon marketplace to save bank. My toyota loyalty is strong. I'm not convinced 2016 chevy parts quality is that much better than rock auto brands. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/21 4:24 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

There is benefit to having repairs from the dealer on carfax, but not nearly enough to justify dealer costs. Dealer costs + parts cost markup? No thank you. 

IME it depends a lot on what job you're doing.  Brakes I would definitely DIY, dealer markup on those tends to be huge.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/27/21 5:26 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I try to do factory toyota parts when I can, but buying from ebay/amazon marketplace to save bank. My toyota loyalty is strong. I'm not convinced 2016 chevy parts quality is that much better than rock auto brands. 

Absolutely! If you intend to keep a vehicle then save what you can. Yes Brakes have absolutely silly markups.  But so many people place a real priority on Carfaxs  it's often worth the  added cost. 
   To be fair I buy and when it's done it goes to the junkyard hopefully 20 years and many many hundreds of thousands of miles. Yes I do all my own work. I Look for value in parts. And am not loyal to the brand.  I can do a complete brake job in an afternoon. So the extra few hundred dollars is well returned. 
   The OP is loyal so he understands the next buyers priority.  But not everybody is a great mechanic hence the reward for having a dealership do the work. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/27/21 6:57 p.m.

My plan is which brake set to buy (pads/rotors) from Rock Auto.  Certainly not the $59 econo set but maybe the $199 AC Delco?   Or in between maybe a brand that is decent you've had experience with? I'm cool with doing brakes   

I've got 106,000 miles and shy from the dealer.  

My tranny is shifting funny sometimes so I stopped last month to discuss a TSB and they quoted me $350 to replace the fluid with Mobil juice (per the TSB) and $200 to run a diagnosis. I just had the tranny fluid changed at 75,000 miles, 3 years so I held off.   

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/27/21 6:57 p.m.

Delco professional is basically OE. Delco advantage is not. Price pads at the dealership parts counter, if you like it, just keep the receipt.

Powerstop is good stuff though. Have a set on my Firebird, no dust stops great.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 8:59 a.m.

I'll throw in another for Powerstop.

Keep in mind that OEMs don't always use the best parts.  They use the most suitable parts for the lowest cost, and they use those parts based on a negotiated contract with a supplier.  That doesn't mean they're the best, it means they are required to use it.  Dexcool, I'm looking at you.

Ever notice how the tires on your brand new vehicle were nearly bald at 15k?  OEMs often spec super soft tires that present well during a test drive.  The oil in the crankcase?  Probably the cheapest bulk oil they can get their hands on because you're going to change it soon anyway.  Same goes for brake pads.  They put on soft, quiet, organic pads that grip the same when hot or cold so your test drive is impressive.  Pay attention also to the whole row of Silverados at a dealer.  10 of them might have Firestone tires and 15 of them might have Goodyears.  You'll probably also find that (for example) the 10 with Firestones came from the Flint assembly plant and the 15 with Goodyears came from Ontario.  I would also wager that the brake rotors, pads, and hoses came from different suppliers as well.  The Dexcool they put in at the factory is made by Havoline, (required by contract) but the stuff you buy at the Goodwrench counter is made by Peak or Prestone

Another thing of note:  If you go to the GM parts counter with your VIN and ask for brake pads, the brake pads they sell you are almost certainly not same pads that your truck was delivered with.  Goodwrench is not GM.  Goodwrench negotiates its own parts contracts with its own suppliers just like GM corporate negotiates its own contracts for assembly parts.  The brake pads put on by the factory might be made by Bendix, and the ones at the Goodwrench counter might be made by Exedy.  They might even have two boxes of your part number, one of them made by Raybestos and one by EBC because they changed suppliers a few months ago.

Keeping your GM car "all GM" is not possible.  It's a marketing ploy.  Same goes for all manufacturers to varying degrees.  If I go to the Ford parts counter and pick up Motorcraft SP-411 spark plugs, they are different spark plugs made by a different Chinese or Vietnamese company than if I go to AutoZone and buy SP-411 plugs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/28/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

thanks for the helpful information.

if I have my facts right Jay Leno talked to a guy that restored a '65 Shelby Mustang?  The Fram air filter put on at the assembly line is different from the parts store one and somebody found the assembly line air filter and it cost him $1000 to buy it?   probably have my facts wrong?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xygski5sSPc2N1BZUbf9zpD4srR8ZUbiiQAmElncnnAVXyaWLDlL9Hxnf4jJSnFN