1 2 3 4
Erich
Erich UberDork
6/30/22 8:55 a.m.

A  soft rock radio station out in Vancouver BC has been playing (and replaying) Rage against the Machine's Killing in the Name for more than 24 hours now.  

One guy just called in to request it. DJ: "I don't know if we have it I'll have to look in the stacks" Guitar riff intensifies

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/30/22 8:57 a.m.

Im ok with this! 

Little bit of rage against the machine sums up my attitude this week anyway. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
6/30/22 8:58 a.m.

This is great. Its still going. https://www.kissradio.ca/

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/30/22 8:59 a.m.

I love when radio stations go rogue.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/22 9:01 a.m.

I will be streaming this at least until I become bored...

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/30/22 9:03 a.m.

There was a station in Detroit that did something like that. It was an unannounced clue that they were changing formats. When the song stopped, they went from Rock to R&B IIRC.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
6/30/22 9:06 a.m.

Aaaand its apparently over. They're now an alternative station

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/30/22 9:09 a.m.

This song drops the F-bomb 16 times and all in just the last minute of the 5 minute song!  

The article points that the song is from 1992. Wow, that makes it 32 years old. If you were 20 yrs old and influenced by the songs release you are now 52! 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
6/30/22 9:26 a.m.

Their new format is an...interesting mix.  They just backed up Coleman Hell with Dr. Dre.

Erich
Erich UberDork
6/30/22 9:29 a.m.

All I can say for this stunt is it caused me to start my workday with RATM repeated about 10x and I'm a worse worker bee for it.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/30/22 9:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

This song drops the F-bomb 16 times and all in just the last minute of the 5 minute song!  

The article points that the song is from 1992. Wow, that makes it 32 years old. If you were 20 yrs old and influenced by the songs release you are now 52! 

Let's see..... pulls up the calendar app, scrolls through the years, cross reference to my birthday....... Yep, spot on!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/30/22 9:52 a.m.

I love RATM, and seeing this made me love them more:

Rage against the dishwasher : r/MetalMemes

To quote one of the replies: "what 'Machine' did you think he was raging  against? The dishwasher?" : r/dontyouknowwhoiam

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/30/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I've got a standing offer of $50 for a copy of RATM's first album with the vocal tracks omitted.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

or 46 and the music held up well for the remainder of the decade while I was in college.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/30/22 9:57 a.m.

So, someone finally got Johnny Fever out of the booth?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/30/22 10:05 a.m.

My Son's band used to jam here, and their thing at the time was to play instrumental versions of Rage songs.  Their version of Killing in the name was absolutely incredible, and I can still hear it 20+ years later, they played it that loud. That's all I can add to the discussion

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/30/22 10:08 a.m.
DrBoost said:

There was a station in Detroit that did something like that. It was an unannounced clue that they were changing formats. When the song stopped, they went from Rock to R&B IIRC.

Off topic a bit.  When I moved here to the States in 94 I was amazed at how many awesome radio stations Detroit had.  Great selection of genres and styles with enough overlap that you could tune to what you wanted and find some great stuff.  Then I started traveling and was appalled when I went to other cities and discovered that after 3-4 days I'd heard a stations entire repertoire and was listening to repeats.  Unfortunately since then, with the rise of things like IhateRadio and others, Detroit radio has gone the way of the dodo.  The (Music based) over the air radio in Detroit is just as utterly E36 M3ty as everywhere else, NPR being the exception with two great stations.

On RATM, I was briefly a cool dad for taking my then 7th grader (now 27) to see them along with her 6th grade friend down in Detroit on a school night.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/30/22 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

You're reminding me that I should be spending more $$ supporting our local independent alternative station. I don't always love the music the play but I always love the varied playlist. They played AC/DC the other day and I was a bit miffed at first (not that I don't like AC/DC, but was thinking since when have they been alternative?) Then I realized - what's more alternative than not caring if the music fits your carefully molded genre? Punk AF

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/22 10:15 a.m.
Duke said:

I love when radio stations go rogue.

In Chicagoland, the local alternative station, Q101, decided to ax all the DJs, many who were there from the beginning, right around 2010. By then the format had solidified into Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana,  System of a Down, 2 flavor of the week songs, rinse and repeat on a 5 song rotation.

It was bad enough that I heard the exact 10 songs in the evening that I heard in the morning the previous day. It turned into a big tape that someone just hit play, and walked away.

The decision to kill the station and turn it into a news outlet came as a complete surprise to ALL the DJs.

So, they went rogue. We're getting fired in 2 weeks, what are they gonna do? Instead of the "press play" 5 song rotation, they started playing music. Stuff from the beginning. Bands that weren't afraid to try weird sounds because at the birth of alternative ALL the songs were weird. They weren't hairbands.

They played it all.

I mean when's the last time you heard Whale, The Rentals, or Urban Dance Squad on terrestrial radio? The was glorious and I didn't change the station once in those 2 weeks.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
6/30/22 10:26 a.m.

I'm blessed that Central Virginia has some great stations, WNRN out of Cville has excellent taste and is rebroadcast in like 5 other areas. Richmond has its own WRIR which is great and plays some really obscure stuff. I've been donating to WNRN as without them I'd basically have to spend more money on SiriusXM or other streaming service as the other mainstream stations are garbage. Gets options for free tickets and a cool shirt too.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/30/22 10:37 a.m.

I was always amazed when I would leave one of those "Dave" stations on, which drew from pop music from at least a 30 year period, and I could easily here a numerous songs played 3 time throughout a day.  They have thousands and thousands of songs to draw from!  What really killed it was one of those songs they kept playing was that  asinine "I dropped a bomb on you" song (which is good as a goof only) numerous times!!

It's what finally killed music radio for me.  I had previously  stopped listening to rock radio because of the rather short playlist, and was always horrified at Christmas time when it could guaranteed they would play that horrific Springsteen version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town over and over and over...  I am still haunted by the half asses "ho ho ho's"....

Now, the insane commercial load and even entire lack of variation in commercials is what makes me dread listening to any radio.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/30/22 10:50 a.m.

The local Philly "alternative" station WRFF 104.5 plays the same 3 Killers songs at least twice a day each.

I used to joke that you could tune in any time of the day or night and you'd hear one of those Killers songs within 3 cuts.

It started as a joke but I test it periodically and in at least 5 years I haven't been proven wrong.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/30/22 11:12 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
DrBoost said:

Off topic a bit.  When I moved here to the States in 94 I was amazed at how many awesome radio stations Detroit had.  Great selection of genres and styles with enough overlap that you could tune to what you wanted and find some great stuff.  Then I started traveling and was appalled when I went to other cities and discovered that after 3-4 days I'd heard a stations entire repertoire and was listening to repeats.  Unfortunately since then, with the rise of things like IhateRadio and others, Detroit radio has gone the way of the dodo.  The (Music based) over the air radio in Detroit is just as utterly E36 M3ty as everywhere else, NPR being the exception with two great stations.

On RATM, I was briefly a cool dad for taking my then 7th grader (now 27) to see them along with her 6th grade friend down in Detroit on a school night.

RIP 89X

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/22 11:28 a.m.

Love that he hasn't touched his amp settings since 1988. (Jump to the 18:00 or so mark.)

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
6/30/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Similar note, when I was a teenager one of the popular local stations used to play "Livin' on a prayer" at the same time every morning, usually just as those of us who were running late for school were waiting in traffic to get into the parking lot. Later I found out a girl I knew had been calling it in as a request every morning, and once the station was in on the joke they just kept on playing it every day.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rVGtKFrRL9tocWr1XM3sMjFGnYSghAuUXgmIAAsfX030PCnUR9zv1zFvRDlE64WZ