BenB HalfDork
6/30/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

WLIR is now streaming as WDARE.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/22 7:05 p.m.
John Welsh said:

This song drops the F-bomb 16 times and all in just the last minute of the 5 minute song!  

The article points that the song is from 1992. Wow, that makes it 32 years old. If you were 20 yrs old and influenced by the songs release you are now 52! 

Saw them open for Cypress Hill on this tour in a cattle barn on the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Amazing show. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/22 7:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Although I'll add that my Cannonball Adderley channel on Pandora is A++.

Cannonball. I need to listen to the Breeders more.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/30/22 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Angry Chicks of the '90s is one of my favorite genres! 

Samples

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

You know, I can't remember the last time I played an album out of order. I accidentally clicked shuffle on iTunes not too long ago, and that was quickly fixed. 

You're right, there's often a narrative in an album, even if it's subtle. Look at how anything by Maiden, Rush, Devo, Bad Brains, etc. flow. And we get to go along for the ride. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/30/22 9:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:
David S. Wallens said:

I had Presidents of the United States radio on Pandora rolling and they played that, it was an OK mix of 90's radio music actually.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/30/22 11:09 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Samples

Needs Veruca Salt in there somewhere

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/22 11:39 p.m.
Peabody said:
adam525i said:

My radio bounces back and forth between CBC Radio 1 (in the garage) and Radio 2 (in the car) along with our local College station which is mostly alternative but mixes things up on the weekends.

I listened to Radio 1 for years but the problem with CBC is that they follow direction of the government in power and I find the programming lately to be unlistenable.

Which college station do you listen to? I've been listening to CIUT off and on for 30 years now and they have some good programming.

I find I listen to Radio 2 a bit less now as there is a bit more top 40/pop stuff than there used to be when it was more Canadian Folk/softer. Tom Power used to host a show called Deep Roots (Folk, Bluegrass etc.) once a week that was so good, now Q takes up all his time. There are some indigenous music shows (Unreserved) on in the evening and a lot of that music is really good with lots of variety, it's not always my taste but more often then not it's pretty good.

88.3 CJIQ which is Conestoga College in KW. There's definitely better/more interesting radio out there but it comes in clear for a good chunk of Southern Ontario around Waterloo Region so it's convenient. 

When Indie88 popped up in Toronto (88.1 CIND) it forced the EDGE (102.1 CFNY) to change their programming, now there are two good alternative options in the GTA rather than one bland, corporate rock station.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/1/22 6:44 a.m.

I didn't know about 88.1 or 88.3. I'll have to check them out. 
I was on the 102.1 bandwagon since the David Marsden days, but lately I don't know what they're doing. I think they're chasing the soccer mom demographic. 
As corporate as it's become we still have it pretty good for radio in Southern Ontario. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
7/1/22 9:11 a.m.
jgrewe said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Samples

Yes! some suggestions

• Veruca Salt- Volcano Girls
  • Lucious Jackson- Naked Eye
  • Elastica- Connection
  • Le Tigre- Deceptacon
  • Bikini Kill- Double Dare Ya + Rebel Girl
  • Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out

maybe some Liz Phair and PJ Harvey? L7?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/1/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Erich :

I'd absolutely include all 3 of your last suggestions and ditch Luscious Jackson and Sleater-Kinney.  I never liked either of those bands at all.

L7 rocks: "Wake up and smell the coffee - or Just Say No to individuality!"

Erich
Erich UberDork
7/1/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

We can't be friends then - Sleater-Kinney has a ridiculously deep discography; The Woods is one of my favorite rock albums ever. 10/10 no skips

(we can still be friends- Riot Grrl is not exactly within the playlist's scope)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/1/22 10:46 a.m.

There are fewer all female band like The Breeders and L7 but there were still many angry ladies out front of '90 music.

Garbage

Tracy Bonham

Republica

K's Choice

and many more with some angrier than others.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/1/22 11:00 a.m.

This thread started with a song protesting Rodney King beatings so with that in mind, another song from that event...

Sublime - April 29, 1992

Which leads to a second video from 1994 which features Gwen Stefani singing in bars.  No Doubt really didn't hit worldwide until 1995.  Its a rare look at a "no make-up" Gwen in sweatpants.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/1/22 11:02 a.m.
jgrewe said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Samples

I think you mean Bikini Kill and L7. Although Veruca Salt rules, too.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/1/22 12:28 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/1/22 12:33 p.m.
Erich said:

In reply to Duke :

We can't be friends then - Sleater-Kinney has a ridiculously deep discography; The Woods is one of my favorite rock albums ever. 10/10 no skips

I'm convinced that Sleater-Kinney is the IPA of alternative rock.

They're objectively terrible, but hipsters convince themselves they are good, so they can look down on the plebes and their unsophisticated palates.

In reply to John Welsh :

The Breeders are not an all-female band.  Their drummer is male.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/22 12:54 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

WEQX, the real alternative 

Out of Manchester, VT. Unfortunately I'm just out of their broadcast reach so I stream them. The best is their 24 hours of Christmas when they play everything from Bing Crosby, White Christmas to Run DMC, Christmas in Hollis.

They are a huge supporter of local music (they pull from as far away as Boston, Burlington, and Albany). And you're not likely to here a song more than once a week. 

Makes me miss WLIR from my teen years on Long Island.

Ah, man. I listened to WEQX when I lived up in that neck of the woods. In the 90s it was a great way to hear indie bands outside of college radio. I still remember the first time I heard The Crane's "Beautiful Friend" while driving up the interstate well after midnight. 

WLIR was a great station, too- pretty much the homeland of post-punk and alternative radio. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/22 12:58 p.m.
John Welsh said:

There are fewer all female band like The Breeders and L7 but there were still many angry ladies out front of '90 music.

Skating Polly was a sister duo for years until they added their brother. Very 90s vibe- might want to check them out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/1/22 9:49 p.m.
chandler said:
Appleseed said:
David S. Wallens said:

I had Presidents of the United States radio on Pandora rolling and they played that, it was an OK mix of 90's radio music actually.

"Okay" is how I feel about satellite radio. Other than the jazz channel, it's okay. After a while, it's the same songs. 

I do miss the old Punk channel. That shared some deep cuts. Plus I enjoyed Marky Ramone's show. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/1/22 11:43 p.m.

Back to the radio station playing a song on a loop:

Back in my senior year of high school (2000), a local station changing formats decided to play Wild Thing by Tone Loc on repeat for a few weeks straight. There was no explanation; just Wild Thing on repeat for weeks. Eventually, everyone in school was blasting Wild Thing out of our car stereo systems at all times. It was beautiful. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/2/22 1:32 a.m.

+5 for WRFF not being good station since they play the same 10 songs all the time (including same 2 Pearl Jam songs since they don't acknowledge that PJ put music out after 1995).

I tend to alternate between 90.1 WRTI for jazz and classical and 88.5 WXPN for everything else. 

Also check out 90.5 WBJB the Night out of Central Jersey. Good college station for the local community college in that neck of the woods.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/22 12:03 p.m.

In the same listening area as KISS, i went to my shop yesterday and turned on the radio to the only station I listen to because it has the best reception. It is, or was a classic rock station called 98.5 the Drive. But as of yesterday it is now JR Country, Chilliwack's very own country station! I suspect its owned by whoever owns KISS.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/22 3:58 p.m.
BenB said:

On what streaming platform.

BTW. I still have my ticket stub from the last concert sponsored by then WDRE. Depeche Mode with Nitzer Ebb at MSG in 1989. Was a sad day when they left the airwaves.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
7/3/22 6:05 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
BenB said:

On what streaming platform.

BTW. I still have my ticket stub from the last concert sponsored by then WDRE. Depeche Mode with Nitzer Ebb at MSG in 1989. Was a sad day when they left the airwaves.

Link to the web site:  WDARE

They have a free app, too, available in the Apple App Store.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FuazuBS98vfp5943UyZAJbIGlrvgbeWd73yb50JQ7xHMLwMX4TjFekMcmNnOu0gG