1 2 3 ... 13
yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/7/13 10:20 p.m.

http://m.jalopnik.com/5982580/a-case-of-mistaken-truck-identity-caused-la-cops-to-shoot-two-innocent-women?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

If you're in Cali, I sure hope you aren't driving a blue pickup truck......

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/7/13 10:43 p.m.

His truck was discovered dumped & burned on Big Bear Mountain today. Or someother cutely named hill there.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 12:03 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Ahh, well I wouldn't drive anything in LA for awhile........unless your vehicle has armor plate and bullet resistant glass

I wonder how many multi millions the lawsuits will be.....

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/8/13 7:02 a.m.

Wow, just wow. I defend most Police actions in here but I got nothing.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/8/13 7:08 a.m.

Yikes, glad the women are safe.

Matching vehicle description at a weird time of day at a known-target's house.

If you know a police officer, you know how tight they're wound when one of their own has been killed.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/8/13 7:18 a.m.

"But around 5:15 a.m. local time, officers mistook the blue Toyota Tacoma driven by two women delivering newspapers for Dorner's truck and fired on it, the TV station reported. The truck pulled up to a house being guarded by police because that homeowner is on Dorner's hit list."

That back window of the truck looks pretty heavily tinted so they couldn't see into it at least from the rear. License plates can easily be switched. They did pull up in front of one of Dorner's target address's. Did they quickly exit the truck with wrapped newspaper in hand and the cops thought it was a weapon? How much daylight was there at 5:15 am? Dorner could have had accomplices.

Certainly not excusing this shooting/killing. But put anyone of us here in that scenario and mindset of whats taken place in the last few days out there and see how we do. Just playing devils advocate.

Go ahead and blast me now.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/8/13 7:23 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Yikes, glad the women are safe. Matching vehicle description at a weird time of day at a known-target's house. If you know a police officer, you know how tight they're wound when one of their own has been killed.

That would be an unfortunate coincidence - if they had only done it once that day... but http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8984352

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/8/13 7:29 a.m.
drainoil wrote: "But around 5:15 a.m. local time, officers mistook the blue Toyota Tacoma driven by two women delivering newspapers for Dorner's truck and fired on it, the TV station reported. The truck pulled up to a house being guarded by police because that homeowner is on Dorner's hit list." That back window of the truck looks pretty heavily tinted so they couldn't see into it at least from the rear. License plates can easily be switched. They did pull up in front of one of Dorner's target address's. Did they quickly exit the truck with wrapped newspaper in hand and the cops thought it was a weapon? How much daylight was there at 5:15 am? Dorner could have had accomplices. Certainly not excusing this shooting/killing. But put anyone of us here in that scenario and mindset of whats taken place in the last few days out there and see how we do. Just playing devils advocate. Go ahead and blast me now.

So that gives them open season on any vehicle that's blue? They didn't even TRY to identify the occupants. They just opened fire. That is inexusable.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/8/13 7:31 a.m.
Torrance police were involved in a second shooting near Flager Lane and Beryl Street a short time later. The incident involved a black truck they mistakenly believed to be Dorner's. The patrol unit, occupied by two officers, encountered the truck, collided with the vehicle, and an officer-involved shooting occured. No one was hurt in the shooting.

Really? They didn't even have the right color that time. Seriously... these are the only people we want to have access to firearms? This is the level of proficiency we should all strive to reach? I'd have to forget about 90% of what I've learned to be that bad.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/8/13 7:34 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
drainoil wrote: "But around 5:15 a.m. local time, officers mistook the blue Toyota Tacoma driven by two women delivering newspapers for Dorner's truck and fired on it, the TV station reported. The truck pulled up to a house being guarded by police because that homeowner is on Dorner's hit list." That back window of the truck looks pretty heavily tinted so they couldn't see into it at least from the rear. License plates can easily be switched. They did pull up in front of one of Dorner's target address's. Did they quickly exit the truck with wrapped newspaper in hand and the cops thought it was a weapon? How much daylight was there at 5:15 am? Dorner could have had accomplices. Certainly not excusing this shooting/killing. But put anyone of us here in that scenario and mindset of whats taken place in the last few days out there and see how we do. Just playing devils advocate. Go ahead and blast me now.
So that gives them open season on any vehicle that's blue? They didn't even TRY to identify the occupants. They just opened fire. That is inexusable.

The ABC news link said "No information on what prompted the gunfire was released".

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/8/13 7:37 a.m.

Yeah, nice job LAPD. He was driving a Nissan Titan, not a freaking Toyota Tacoma. Think you fired off enough rounds at the two innocent women driving the wrong berkeleying truck?!

2/8/13 7:38 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Yeah, nice job LAPD. He was driving a Nissan Titan, not a freaking Toyota Tacoma. Think you fired off enough rounds at the two innocent women driving *the wrong berkeleying truck?!*

Bunch of marksmen there, eh? Who put the rounds in the bumper? LOL

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/8/13 7:39 a.m.

They screwed up, but I understand where they are. This isn't a suspect they're going to wait around for to see if he tries to kill them. Highly stressed officers (guarantee they don't have any other kind of officers this week), very dangerous suspect reported in the area, matching vehicle (especially if you're highly stressed), suspicious behavior (lots of people do weird stuff when they see police). Recipe for mistaken identity. Again, glad the civilians are in stable condition or better.

The lawsuits will be ugly, but once they kill this prick, I doubt the department will care about paying out.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/8/13 7:40 a.m.
The Article said: KABC also reported that officers fired on yet another truck in a similar mistaken identity incident, but no one was injured there.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/8/13 7:40 a.m.

Think I'd walk a little faster or slower if I were the cop on the left.

They start to look like the verge of giddy when they get to dress up in tactical gear - makes me a little nervous when the police start thinking they are military.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
2/8/13 7:43 a.m.

An officer that reacts to stress like that should not be carrying a gun.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/8/13 7:43 a.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas:

Bad shots are made in stressful situations (thats for you, GPS). There is no excuse for these cases of mistaken identity. It's bad police work.

2/8/13 7:49 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: They screwed up, but I understand where they are. This isn't a suspect they're going to wait around for to see if he tries to kill them.

If I just killed people who looked (or even were) threatening to me because I was "stressed" they would call that murder. In this case - I would call it premeditated murder since they didn't even bother to check if the occupants were the actual suspect, nevermind if they were in harms way. There was no attempt to do their actual job - which is not to exact justice but to apprehend the criminal.

I understand their motivation - but if the cops don't have to obey or even pay lip service to the law then berkeley it... neither do we.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/8/13 7:52 a.m.

From what I've heard of people who live in that area, this is pretty typical for LAPD. They're perhaps the most incompetent big-city police force in the 'States.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/8/13 7:54 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: They screwed up, but I understand where they are. This isn't a suspect they're going to wait around for to see if he tries to kill them. Highly stressed officers (guarantee they don't have any other kind of officers this week), very dangerous suspect reported in the area, matching vehicle (especially if you're highly stressed), suspicious behavior (lots of people do weird stuff when they see police). Recipe for mistaken identity. Again, glad the civilians are in stable condition or better. The lawsuits will be ugly, but once they kill this prick, I doubt the department will care about paying out.

Really? They shouldn't have to pay out. You don't just open fire on any vehicle in a suburban neighborhood without finding out WHO is in the vehicle? Let alone if it's even the RIGHT berkeleyING VEHICLE!

Seriously, how can ANYONE justify what they have done.... TWICE? One wasn't the right vehicle, the other wasn't even the right friggin color.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/8/13 7:55 a.m.
dculberson wrote: An officer that reacts to stress like that should not be carrying a gun.

Anyone who responds to stress like that shouldn't be carrying a gun. I don't think that was a response to stress, though. I believe that was pure ignorance and stupidity.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/8/13 8:00 a.m.
dculberson wrote: An officer that reacts to stress like that should not be an officer.

Fixxored.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/8/13 8:06 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: From what I've heard of people who live in that area, this is pretty typical for LAPD. They're perhaps the most incompetent big-city police force in the 'States.

That's what I've seen. hehehe

no really. nothing to actually add to this thread other than it's ridiculous how cops act sometimes.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/8/13 8:07 a.m.

Here's the best example of what it should have looked like if they really thought this was the suspect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5uFABevQYg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/8/13 8:12 a.m.

C'mon guys, lets round up our own GRM posse and go out and get this nut. But no one is allowed to wear anything resembling tactical/miltary gear and no one is allowed to get amped up. You must be super human and display no normal expected human behavior under stressful hostile conditions. Whos first??

1 2 3 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHQ3XqqxzpZkMH0WK0ce4joAZ1M5b57w7783lUiY7aF7kCenCSrhbYQCjiNx4fiT