1 ... 9 10 11 12 13
Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/13/13 1:45 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: How about set up a perimeter and wait him out? That's usually what they do, rather than killing a suspect. This man never had a chance. He was tried, convicted and executed by the LAPD before he EVER got a chance.

Wait for what? HE said he wasn't going to live through this. He tried to kill any LEO that got close to him. This is exactly what he wanted and I'm glad the Riverside Sheriff dept obliged him.

It also gave reason to re-open the case that he was so upset about. Win-win.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
2/13/13 2:06 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/13 2:08 p.m.

^LOL! I wonder if that beard is recently-grown

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/13/13 2:09 p.m.

Unsatisfactory ending to the movie. For asymmetrical and unconventional warfare I expected a burned out truck to be a diversionary tactic intended to misdirect and waste resources while our anti hero laughs sitting on a boat in international or Mexican waters calculating his next move.

Reality version, busted axle puts the perp on foot and apparently the LEOs around there aren't so good at tracking, or shooting, or serving, or protecting. But through our anti-hero's not so smooth attempts at carjacking they eventually contained the guy and ended it pretty much the way it had to.

The movie(s) should be better.

BTW if it was 4wd truck, a broken axle shouldn't have stopped him - nissan titan's have semi-floaters - just put in 4hi and go with front wheel drive.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/13/13 2:10 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: How about set up a perimeter and wait him out? That's usually what they do, rather than killing a suspect. This man never had a chance. He was tried, convicted and executed by the LAPD before he EVER got a chance.
Wait for what? HE said he wasn't going to live through this. He tried to kill any LEO that got close to him. This is exactly what he wanted and I'm glad the Riverside Sheriff dept obliged him. It also gave reason to re-open the case that he was so upset about. Win-win.

How about waiting for him to get tired of it and do himself in, if that was his intent? Or maybe get tired of it and decide to surrender and go to trial, so he gets another chance to say his piece?

Or maybe just... due process? Don't get me wrong, this guy was a probable nutbag and definite murderer, so he deserves to be tried and punished. Just not by a bunch of muscleheaded, trigger-happy cops. That wasn't how it was supposed to work when I learned to respect the Constitution.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/13/13 2:14 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
what other options do you propose here?
Learning how to berkeleying shoot? How to apprehend a subject without destroying a couple hundred grand worth of someone's private property and family heirlooms? Conducting a berkeleying investigation without unloading on unarmed citizens who don't even look ANYTHING like the SUSPECT??? I dunno. Those are just the first couple things that come to mind.
That's a good start.
Sad to say, it appears the police were outmatched in the shooting department. Notice my comments were about burning the house, and only burning the house. Unloading on the good paper delivery folk of the world is unconscionable, and hopefully the appropriate individuals will receive "involuntary career redirection". The simple fact is Dorner knew how to shoot as well, if not better than, responding officers, and there was really no point in more of them getting shot/killed. Its unfortunate that someone's home was destroyed, but if its my home he's holed up in and either it burns or someone else gets killed unnecessarily, I'll set the fire myself. I'm sure the owners will be well compensated. Continuing to shoot it out with him was only going to get more people killed and the end result was going to be the same. BTW, if this is really about property damage, from the audio I've heard, anything inside the home (except perhaps the suspect) already had several hundred bullet holes in it.

I gotcha. I'm just saying "BURN THE berkeleyER TO THE GROUND!" is all well and good when it's not your E36 M3 they're burning. Sort of like (to continue the analogy someone else brought up) people saying "berkeley YEAH, LET'S INVADE THE E36 M3 OUT OF (insert country.)" That's great until it's your kid/father/mother/brother who's getting his/her ass shot off.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
2/13/13 2:17 p.m.

I love the internet so so much.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/13/13 2:36 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Unsatisfactory ending to the movie. For asymmetrical and unconventional warfare I expected a burned out truck to be a diversionary tactic intended to misdirect and waste resources while our anti hero laughs sitting on a boat in international or Mexican waters calculating his next move. Reality version, busted axle puts the perp on foot and apparently the LEOs around there aren't so good at tracking, or shooting, or serving, or protecting. But through our anti-hero's not so smooth attempts at carjacking they eventually contained the guy and ended it pretty much the way it had to. The movie(s) should be better. BTW if it was 4wd truck, a broken axle shouldn't have stopped him - nissan titan's have semi-floaters - just put in 4hi and go with front wheel drive.

Yes this.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/13/13 2:40 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
914Driver wrote: On a treadmill at lunch today; Talking Heads report cabin burned to the ground but they found the runaway cop's driver's license in the place. ? ? ?
The same license which was supposedly found in a trash can along with his other ID near the mexico boarder last Thursday? Makes ya go hmmmmm doesn't it?

What, doesn't everyone carry a spare license.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/13/13 2:46 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
914Driver wrote: On a treadmill at lunch today; Talking Heads report cabin burned to the ground but they found the runaway cop's driver's license in the place. ? ? ?
The same license which was supposedly found in a trash can along with his other ID near the mexico boarder last Thursday? Makes ya go hmmmmm doesn't it?
What, doesn't everyone carry a spare license.

What will the LAPD do when Dorner shows up in Venezuela requesting asylum?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/13/13 2:50 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 2:53 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: What will the LAPD do when Dorner shows up in Venezuela requesting asylum?

Based soley on their track record to date - they will shoot up Colombia and burn Peru to the ground.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/13/13 2:58 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: What will the LAPD do when Dorner shows up in Venezuela requesting asylum?
Based soley on their track record to date - they will shoot up Colombia and burn Peru to the ground.

only in the course of searching for weapons of mass destruction.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/13/13 3:02 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

POTD!

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/13/13 4:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/13/13 4:02 p.m.

LAPD ....

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/13/13 4:04 p.m.

Barney must be so proud .....

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/13/13 4:06 p.m.

a friend posted this on another web site:

Having experienced a house fire, if his license was in a leather wallet there is a good chance it survives.

1) When my house burned, we were surprised at how some stuff made it - particularly pictures in the center of albums protected both by insulation of the rest of the album and a lack of oxygen (we are guessing) between pages.

2) Leather is fairly fire resistant - it will shrink from the heat, but it doesn't tend to burn.

Put both of those together and there is a good chance for enough of a drivers license to survive enough for identification.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
2/13/13 4:13 p.m.

I could see how he would dispose of all his ID at the border to confuse those looking for him, but he wanted to keep his DL, you know, in case he got pulled over.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/13 4:19 p.m.

how much of any of this is true.. we will never know. It would be something if he had managed to escape though

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/13/13 4:34 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Cone_Junky wrote:
Wait for what? HE said he wasn't going to live through this. He tried to kill any LEO that got close to him. This is exactly what he wanted and I'm glad the Riverside Sheriff dept obliged him. It also gave reason to re-open the case that he was so upset about. Win-win.
How about waiting for him to get tired of it and do himself in, if that was his intent? Or maybe get tired of it and decide to surrender and go to trial, so he gets another chance to say his piece? Or maybe just... *due process?* Don't get me wrong, this guy was a probable nutbag and definite murderer, so he deserves to be tried and punished. Just not by a bunch of muscleheaded, trigger-happy cops. That wasn't how it was supposed to work when I learned to respect the Constitution.

And what stopped him from walking out the front door with his hands up?

There are reports that he did run out the back, but then run back inside. Shortly after a single shot was heard inside. It was HIS choice to go down in flames.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/13/13 5:22 p.m.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50140947n&tag=api

Gun battle w/ wanted ex-cop caught on tape.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/13 5:30 p.m.

wow... I have heard less shots fired in taped battles in iraq and Afganistan

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/13/13 6:05 p.m.

It's a good thing there's no massive ammo shortage right now.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
2/13/13 6:34 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: wow... I have heard less shots fired in taped battles in iraq and Afganistan

No E36 M3! That sounded worse than Korangal Valley! I was waiting for an A10 to come strafe the berkeleying cabin.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1BBGn30fqvzIYdodJDEbA8wVvsqamfuFbjVc7NER5Vhp4Fe0umnmDCH1zmJGXSCu