tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/6/23 9:45 a.m.

I am out of business trip and I was using a lathe when it broke, I really didn't break it. It's a harbor freight special, maybe 700 bucks. I want to buy these guys a new one with work money, they need something bench top and something 110 volts. Something better than harbor freight, something less than 5 grand, something that can use bigger than a half inch chuck at the tail stock or something that won't break if the slightest hint of hard work.

I don't have time to research this right now, but I would love to buy these guys something immediately.

Help!

the_machina
the_machina Reader
6/6/23 11:31 a.m.

Really hard to argue against a decent Grizzly:

10" x 22" Benchtop Metal Lathe at Grizzly.com

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/6/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to the_machina :

I have that machine, it's great  value

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to the_machina :

I had one model down from that in the tool room at Duke. I came to recommend the Grizzly line, lots of choices, pick the one that fits your budget and needs. I found them to be a good value. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/6/23 1:54 p.m.

What about the littlemachineshop.com stuff?

Grizzly with metal gearing is way into the $1500 range, which is fine, but it seems the LMS might be cheaper. Is it similar in terms of quality an ddurability?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/23 2:09 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I know they have a decent reputation but I can't speak for the LMS equipment first hand, sorry.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
6/6/23 2:14 p.m.

Which of the littlemachineshop models were you thinking?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/6/23 3:10 p.m.

Well...

I bought one. The lines on that website, essentially saying they were all the same Chinese factory stuff, got me thinking, so I just bought on features and price. The LMS stuff was sim to Grizzly but much cheaper. These guys got a year out of the Harbor Fright special, so I bought the HiTorque 7x16 Mini Lathe and some tools for them. It's not a real-deal machine shop here.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/23 3:57 p.m.

The difference between the companies is in the fit and finish. HF is on the low end. Grizzly is on the higher end. I'm not sure where LMS fits in these days. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u79IKaNRtnPSbowtEieZGXPHuJLb3Uik2VnKWwrJ4cPD6PzldOqScF1C3c5LE5FH