kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/18/21 1:11 p.m.

Each year, I say the same thing as I'm either out in the pouring rain or (better still) a 40 degree day with a nice sleet/rain mix cleaning out the gutters.  "This is dumb, I need to figure out a long-term solution".  It's not a huge job.  We've got about 75 feet of gutter and it's 90% straight.  Access isn't great since SWMBO is a pretty talented gardener, who has surrounded out house with large plants that she doesn't want mauled by the ladder.  Every year I tell myself I'm going to do something about it and every year I end up soaked, freezing and covered in foul smelling rotten leaf goo.  

Maybe this year will be different.  I'm not paying one of the overpriced "as advertised on cable news" services, so anyone know a reasonably priced DYI solution?  I'm open either to snap on covers or "fill in the gutter with permeable foam" type solutions.  I'm going to say the following are my priorities, in order of importance:

1. Ease of installation.  Cleaning the gutters takes about 20 minutes, so if it takes me days to install the stuff, it's not worth it.  No tool installation would be a plus.

2. Durability - something that isn't going to last at least 10 years probably isn't worth it.

3. Cost - if it costs more than a couple Benjamins, it probably isn't worth it.  

I'm figuring there's probably at least one or two other midwesterners getting ready for fall who are probably in the same situation.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/21 1:17 p.m.

Locally, well pre covid, I was buying 8 foot lengths of aluminum gutter guards for $11 each. Screw them on. I can't recommend them enough. I also don't know modern prices

Big box stores mostly have garbage plastic ones that need replaced constantly and cost a stupid amount of money, look for a real lumberyard or building supply place. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/21 1:18 p.m.

I will watch this.

Blasted gutters.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/21 3:19 p.m.

I cleaned mine out with a leaf blower this year when they were nice and dry just before the first rain. It made a mess below, but man it was quick!

porschenut
porschenut Reader
9/19/21 7:32 a.m.

The garage is under some huge pine trees that constantly drop crap and clog the gutters.  Gave up with any cover, they just clog up too.  My answer is an attachment to the leaf blower that clears them out.  Gotta be dry, and I usually get a bunch of crap in my hair but it works.  When I forget and they do clog I have a long hook shaped thingy that will clear the crap out of the downspout connection then water force and gravity purge it all.  Makes some funny sounds and looks disgusting but it works. I use the same thing with a mod on the house.  An old sailboat mast taped to a 3" exhaust U work well to clear the one gutter on the second story roof that backs up.  

moltar
moltar New Reader
9/20/21 11:10 a.m.

I have wire mesh guards they stop leaves but helicopters fall through and will eventually plug up the downspout if you don't clean the gutters once a year or so. A telescoping hose attachment makes quick work of cleaning, it was $10-$20 at lowesdepot. 

Not sure how old my guards are, they came with the house 5 years ago, but I would bet they are well over 10 years. Installation is simple, slide the flat side under shingles and the formed side locks into the gutter. They come in 3' length. Easily removable when needed. They look like this

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/20/21 12:25 p.m.

I put several hundred feet of these on my house and detached shop a year or two ago

They take a cordless drill/impact and probably some snips to install but come with stainless, self tappings screws and a nut driver bit. We've got Silver Maples, Locust, Birch and Oak around the house, and a treeline with Ash, Locust and whatever else behind the detached garage.

The first few times that it rained after I installed them, I was surprised to actually hear rain water flowing through my gutters for the first time. I do use a leaf blower once in the spring and once in the fall just to make sure they're uncovered, but that takes 10 minutes to do my whole house and is mostly done to give me a chance to double check them. The black finish does an ok job of melting snow/ice that develops there. Screwing them down to the outer edge of the gutter and the header board adds strength to the gutters too which keeps them from sagging and has allowed them to shrug off some damage from decent limbs falling on them.

*We do have a fairly low pitched roof. I'd guess that these would just send some water over the tops of the gutters with a steeper roof pitch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCfIbUagTTUeePxgetemXUeVSeGT2ezpYHUxxwPScnzxo7QtJwlqb5MSWUbNOE4n