1 2
Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/26/20 9:34 a.m.

Quick Summary:  It's Hurricane season and I'm looking to add a backup generator to my house.  Considering all the COVID activity in Florida, I think we (SWMBWO, kiddo & doggos) will be less likely to evacuate (within reason).

At a minimum I'd like something that can run a small backup refrigerator and a portable AC.   My guess is something with 4000 watt power  should do the job and would cost $400 to $500.  Harbor Freight w/the extended warranty is one option (thoughts?), but Amazon has similar sized units w/gas and propane options for a little more.  I have two propane tanks, and that's a little easier to store than gasoline, so I do like tha toption.  I like the fact if there's an issue I can just drive it down to harbor freight.  Unfortunately, this option will require us to buy a window unit AC, and our fridge is on the third floor.  I've been thinking about upgrading the tiny beer fridge (actually a small wine cooler)...so I suppose I already need to buy that.

My father actually wired his backup generator into his fuse panel (not an electrician).  He can shut off the main breaker and have his generator plug directly into the house.   Has anyone done this before?  I don't usually deal w/electricity...so I suppose I'll have to make some phone calls this week.  I'm leaning towards something closer to 6000w system w/the capability to be  wired into the breaker box.  It seems pretty straightforward (maybe $200-300) for supplies and another $200 for labor?)...but am I going to have sticker shock when I get a quote?  The installation kits seem to vary pretty widely, I'm wondering if some are for much larger whole-house power systems?

After actually writing this out, I think I know what I need to do:  Get a quote from an electrician and have him wire in the generator.  If you have any other advice or things I should consider, feel free to chime in.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/26/20 9:43 a.m.

Following. This year we picked up a 4000W Generac on sale at Walmart for $299 (can’t beat their warranty!) but have only used it at the lake so far.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/26/20 9:43 a.m.

I heard that Hawaii is experiencing a hurricane but due to Covid, the orders are to shelter-in-place as much as possible because mass gathering at traditional dedicated safe shelters causes a whole additional threat.  

Crazy! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/20 9:58 a.m.

I bought a used whole house general, and wired it in with an automatic transfer switch and plumbed it off natural gas.

You can do it, just follow the manufacturer instructions.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/26/20 10:47 a.m.

From what I have seen, the transfer switches can be rather expensive (especially if you want to power the whole house) and require another fuse panel.  They will be the easiest to use and can even be automated.  

A lockout is more manual, but way cheaper and only requires a new (or open) 220 breaker and outlet (inlet actually). Both can power the entire house (depending on the size of the generator of course).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/26/20 10:52 a.m.
Hoondavan said:

My father actually wired his backup generator into his fuse panel (not an electrician).  He can shut off the main breaker and have his generator plug directly into the house.   Has anyone done this before?  I don't usually deal w/electricity...so I suppose I'll have to make some phone calls this week.  I'm leaning towards something closer to 6000w system w/the capability to be  wired into the breaker box.  It seems pretty straightforward (maybe $200-300) for supplies and another $200 for labor?)...but am I going to have sticker shock when I get a quote?  The installation kits seem to vary pretty widely, I'm wondering if some are for much larger whole-house power systems?

The connection must be done in a way that absolutely isolates generator power from utility power.  Any system that requires you to open one breaker and close another that's not mechanically interlocked, or backfeeding through a dryer outlet with a 'suicide cord', is dangerous and illegal.  It can be safely done with a manual transfer switch, or there are interlock devices that can be retrofitted to the breaker panel.  Another option is a device called a Generlink, which is installed at your electric meter and automatically disconnects utility power when the generator is plugged in.  Here's one example of an interlock kit, but there are others: https://www.interlockkit.com The Generlink device can be seen here: http://www.generlink.com 

This is an old article but it's still relevant - The March 1998 issue of Popular Mechanics had a good article on installing a portable generator, including a transfer switch and a sub panel for powering essential circuits. You can view it on Google Books, go to https://books.google.com/books?id=UG...page&q&f=false, then in the upper right click on the page box and select the article titled "Installing a Backup Generator" on page 79. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/26/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

If you can find 10kw which will do a whole house. Making life semi civilized. 
if possible search for a diesel since diesel fuel stays good for a very long time.  There are stationary generators for sale used periodically when standby water pumps, phone power, etc etc etc age out. Talk to your local power generator dealers. Caterpillar General, Cummins, dealers.  They may be 15-20 years old or even older but have low hours and serve you well for the rest of your life. 
I was always amazed at how cheap we had them booked.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/20 11:36 a.m.

I'm also in a FL coastal county. I've got a 4000W startup/3600W running output Yamaha. My main goal is to keep the freezer and the two refrigerators going during a power outage. It's probably enough for that, but not an AC unit.

I wish I had bought a larger generator, but I got a great buy on this one, and since I moved five times in between buying it and actually needing to use it, my concern about the weight of the larger unit still seems pretty valid.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/26/20 11:48 a.m.

I'd love to put in a whole house backup unit, but I'm 4 hours from the coast and far enough south we don't get snow. Our power grid here is more stable than any other I've ever been on. I just don't think I can justify it. 

I HAVE been considering buying a couple Honda 2k gennies. When things calm down (next year I guess?) we've talked about buying a freezer and trying to have a longer stock on meat and some stuff. I figure I would use a quiet, lightweight gennie for camping and other stuff several times a year, and with 2 strung together I could keep a fridge, freezer, and some fans running if the power went out. 

also, this may just be rationalization for blowing money on Honda gennies which I've always wanted but can't really justify. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/20 5:06 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd love to put in a whole house backup unit, but I'm 4 hours from the coast and far enough south we don't get snow. Our power grid here is more stable than any other I've ever been on. I just don't think I can justify it. 

I HAVE been considering buying a couple Honda 2k gennies. When things calm down (next year I guess?) we've talked about buying a freezer and trying to have a longer stock on meat and some stuff. I figure I would use a quiet, lightweight gennie for camping and other stuff several times a year, and with 2 strung together I could keep a fridge, freezer, and some fans running if the power went out. 

also, this may just be rationalization for blowing money on Honda gennies which I've always wanted but can't really justify. 

Same here, would love a whole house unit. But even living in Oklahoma my whole life (we get gnarly ice storms and 'naders) I've never personally experienced going without power more than a few hours. 

Even though plenty of other people have. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
7/26/20 5:19 p.m.

I have a propane one wired to a panel that powers the fridge, well pump, and water heater. I figured when power went out, that's all I really need to be ok for a few days. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/26/20 5:38 p.m.

I've got a 7Kw Generac propane unit with an automatic transfer switch that has ten circuits on it. Basically it covers the furnace, well pump, refrigerator, and lights in a few rooms. In retrospect a somewhat larger unit piped into the panel so that I could keep the whole house going (with careful management) would have been better, but as it is this is certainly enough to stay functional. I've been out for 5 days more than once, and not having water sucks more than anything else.

Next thing I need to look into is something to convert generator output to true sine wave so I can keep the router and PC functional. Right now I'm stuck using a phone hotspot and a laptop, which again is functional but not ideal.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/26/20 5:41 p.m.

I use a Reliance Electric 10 circuit breaker transfer panel kit for our house.  Kit comes with a 30 amp weather tight plug in box that gets mounted in a safe location outside.  From that, you run 10/3 solid romex to the transfer panel, that gets mounted onto the wall next to your main breaker panel.  Short run of conduit (in the kit) between panels is used for that wire run ... two wires for every switch, plus a ground and a neutral.  You pick which ten breakers / circuits to provide power to ... five on each leg of the 230 vokt input.  With a 6500 watt peak / 5250 watt continuous generator, I can power anything I want short of central air.  I chose the furnace circuit (gas fired but needs power), microwave, main fridge, sump pump, various lights, internet, and main entertainment center.  Works like an absolute champ and is 100% safe.  I think Reliance still has their multi part install video series on youtube.  Cost was about $500.

einy (Forum Supporter)
7/26/20 5:43 p.m.

Check that name ... Reliance Controls, not Reliance Electric.  Sorry ‘bout that.

7/26/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

$500 is pretty reasonable. This actually makes me think that having a home-wired unit could be done cheaper than buying two Honda 2k generators. Which is probably a better use of my money, but much less fun,

Edit: quick Google shows Home Depot selling a Generac 10k portable gas unit for $2300. So, yeah, absolutely cheaper than two Honda generators. Ok, so this is now something I'm seriously considering  We are on total electric with a heat pump AC central system.  Is 10k enough to run that, a fridge, a freezer, hot water heater, and some lights? Cooking could be done with propane camp equipment instead of the stove / oven.  

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/20 7:00 p.m.

Another retailer with amazing return policies you might consider is Costco. We just bought a tri-fuel 7500kw from them for about $700. We have a 100gal propane tank and natural gas so I may have a plumber come out and hook me up with some flexible connections so I can swap between the two.

Our interconnect wiring is all done with semi-reasonable circuits selected. Our basement fridge is not on any of the generator circuits for example. The only thing we miss out on is central AC but that's usually survivable for the 24-48hr outages we typically get.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/26/20 7:20 p.m.

This is a useful, if somewhat general, guide to generator sizing. Obviously, you should take the results with some margin for error dependent upon your specific situation.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/20 8:10 p.m.

We bought our 10kw generator from sams on a Black Friday deal several years ago. I bought the switch box to run 6 circuits and installed it. It's running the essentials (fridge, microwave, well, etc) and I have 4 extra outlets to use as well. Best money spent 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/20 9:14 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

I use a Reliance Electric 10 circuit breaker transfer panel kit for our house.  Kit comes with a 30 amp weather tight plug in box that gets mounted in a safe location outside.  From that, you run 10/3 solid romex to the transfer panel, that gets mounted onto the wall next to your main breaker panel.  Short run of conduit (in the kit) between panels is used for that wire run ... two wires for every switch, plus a ground and a neutral.  You pick which ten breakers / circuits to provide power to ... five on each leg of the 230 vokt input.  With a 6500 watt peak / 5250 watt continuous generator, I can power anything I want short of central air.  I chose the furnace circuit (gas fired but needs power), microwave, main fridge, sump pump, various lights, internet, and main entertainment center.  Works like an absolute champ and is 100% safe.  I think Reliance still has their multi part install video series on youtube.  Cost was about $500.

I've had this in my amazon wishlist for a while. it sounds like the same transfer switch. 

https://www.amazon.com/30-Amp-10-Circuit-Manual-Transfer-Optional/dp/B00YHLCMHM

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/27/20 7:56 a.m.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  The calculator says 6500 surge should be appropriate.  I'm pretty sure my HVAC is smaller thant 10,000 BTUs but AC in Fl is probably more stressful than the alternative (I'll have to confirm before picking a generator).  I'll need the fridge, AC & grinder pump (pumps waste from the holding tank to the sewer line), which only turns on a few times a day.  It'd be pretty easy to turn the AC off while emptying the holding tank.

I found a good article here:

https://www.consumerreports.org/portable-generators/portable-generator-needs-a-transfer-switch/

It seems the manual interlock is ~$150 and is what my father wired in.  The manual transfer switch is an axillary panel that costs $350 to $500.  I'll keep keep this updated as I get this figured out.   

GE-3 Generator Interlock Kit for a General Electric Breaker Panel ...

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 8:25 a.m.

For now, I have a 4500W max generator from Cabela's that I use when the power goes out (often).  I run one line to the kitchen, where it powers the fridge, the coffee maker, the WiFi router and a light. I have a dedicated powerstrip for this purpose. I run a second line to the basement office, where it runs another fridge, my office computer, a light and the Internet box off another powerstrip. This setup allows me to quickly keep working and protect the food, and keep the kid entertained on WiFi. We can add a fan or two in summer, in winter we have a gas heater and a woodstove so we are usually OK. It's gas only, but I always have gas on had with all the toys and mowers. We usually lose power only for a few hours or overnight, so that's what I prepared for. 

I plan to someday add a natural-gas powered Generac unit on a dedicated breaker box.It's an investment, but I like the simplicity and peace of mind.

7/27/20 8:39 a.m.

Our home AC went out last night. The repair guy will be here later today, but as the temps crawl past 80*F at 930am, I'm realizing that AC is a vital part of whatever plan I come up with. Either enough kW to run the main unit or buying a couple window units as backup. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
7/27/20 7:57 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

That is the one.

einy (Forum Supporter)
7/27/20 7:58 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I think they make portable, in room units also.  No idea if they are much good, but the idea is appealing if so.

I have a 4000 watt inverter generator that will do most of what I need. I also have 2 Honda 2000 watt inverter generators.

I don't bother tying into the house anymore, I just run cords to the important stuff. 

For A/C I have a 14k btu portable that makes the house fairly comfortable if you close off the unused rooms. It came in very handy the last time the house A/C puked.

The stove is propane. I also have a propane camp water heater for showers. 

I usually park the RV with a full tank so it has 70 gallons of gas in it to keep the generator running. If things get desperate, SanFord has another 30 gallons. 

With all that stuff, we haven't lost power since I moved into this house 8 years ago. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UZKSPlqejtIRsrs68KxF35YR9tE1Gik5jR99754sI4jwFl8gnVqxnGd67Sc6sFKH