Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
3/14/14 9:47 a.m.

My Crown Vic has the 5.4 swap. I have a SCT tuner, but no access to a TUNER if you get my drift. What are the pros and cons for converting to Megasquirt? Is it really worth it?

Thanks

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/14 10:25 a.m.

You are still going to have to tune megasquirt, so I don't think it's the solution to your particular problem.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/14 10:27 a.m.

Yeah in fact MegaSquirt tuning effort is higher than usual among aftermarket EMS systems. You want some kind of plug-and-play system made just for your engine.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
3/14/14 10:28 a.m.

OK, was just wondering if it would be easier as there are probably tunes out there for this particular setup. I have a tune on mine, but it needs some definite work. I just have no one within a 100 mile radius who does this stuff. I can go to Austin... That may be worth it though.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
3/14/14 10:34 a.m.

Hey Conquest351,

Take a look at SCT's Pro Racer Advantage III software. I think that might be what you are looking for.

SCT Advantage III for Ford

I'm looking into the Dodge version for a customer now. Haven't played with it yet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/14 11:02 a.m.

The nice thing about MegaSquirt is that with TunerStudio, you can do much of the basic tuning yourself by just running the software in autotune mode and drive around. Fine tuning can happen at a shop equipped with a dyno.

Also if you browse around the MegaSquirt forums you may find a base tune for your engine to download and use to avoid some of the "heavy lifting" of the initial setup.

Hope this helps.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/14/14 11:06 a.m.

MS now has an Autotune feature that will get pretty close.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
3/14/14 11:23 a.m.

Paging MadScientist.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
3/14/14 1:54 p.m.

The fundamental problem is a lack of a tuner. The VE Analyze Live function in TunerStudio can help a lot with the fuel tables, but for the spark table, there's no substitute for good dyno tuning.

The MegaSquirt is more flexible than a tuning device made for a stock ECU in most cases. I haven't used the SCT software to see how they compare in ease of use - some hacks for the stock ECU are way harder to pick up, but some of them have a similar ease of use (and the advantage that you're starting from a good stock tune).

So, it kind of depends on what you're looking to do better than the SCT can do now.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
3/14/14 3:07 p.m.

I'm guessing I REALLY need to invest in the dyno tune session in Austin then. OK. The car runs OK, just I have backfire issues at times and I know it could use a good clean up now that I put the larger exhaust on it too.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/14/14 5:44 p.m.

The thing about piggybacks and tuners is you really have to have your head wrapped around what the factory PCM does, so you can understand what is happening and why.

With an MS everything is transparent out in the open.

Before starting to tune anything you need a wideband O2 installed so you can see what is happening.

Using someone elses tune rarely gives good results.

An MS base tune can be problematic as the options and settings of the newer firmware have changed, it's better to make your own MSQ so you know what has been set. A spark map can be imported so can a fuel map, but with auto tune a fuel map is not needed and a starter map will only save you a little time (if it is close).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFxnmRoGfNeKf7dOYpYBXJ0SDky9zKpXgNpE0r0Gz9owNcroZFgYw6mL5Ny2ba6F