1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/12/22 5:52 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Like the Saturn Vue manual, there are still deals out there if you look for cars that are low demand.  In these times, that means:

1. Non sporty cars with manual trans.  Boomers are done with them (bad knees) and Millennials have never know anyone who's owned one much less taught them. 
  2. 2 door cars.  Completely overlooked by anyone with kids
  3. Single cab, 2wd trucks.  Everyone wants a back seat and 4wd.  

With that said:  

2dr and manual 2009 Kia Rio with 117k asking $3k  and the 4dr version manual $4k

Single cab Ranger w/163k asking $2.2k

'12 Kia Soul manual asking $3.2k

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/22 5:55 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
12/12/22 5:56 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That ranger is giving me feelings. Good thing I'm 2300 miles away or I'd be in real trouble. 

Folgers
Folgers Reader
12/12/22 6:20 p.m.

I’ve “fixed” a few of those subframes. If it’s a small hole here or there, a piece of iron welded over will get you a few years. 

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/22 8:45 p.m.

My wife had an '02 with that powertrain, bought new.  We sold it on '09 with 110K-ish miles, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I specifically recall no powertrain problems. It required some chassis work (brakes and struts, and also it needed a clutch, but I'm not blaming the car), We did not experience the rust issue. I recall that they're a bit revvy, like noticeably past 3K at normal highway speeds.  Interiors are cheap but functional, and I think I remember that it held up well enough, but definitely felt cheap. They're not especially quiet.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go look at the Vue today along with an 04 Santa Fe with a manual.

I know it may sound dumb, but before I moved, I did the commute in a manual Kia Forte. And I hated commuting in that car. There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with the car but it was the other people on the road. It was terrifying sharing the road with those idiots. I was ran off the road a few times, rear ended at stoplights twice and had close calls almost everyday. So while a Prius makes the most sense as far as mileage and operating costs, I'd really like to get something a bit bigger.

Currently, I commute in a 2010 Tahoe PPV. It gets 16.5mpg. Yes it sucks filling that beast up but it's much better for my sanity.

The GF will not drive a small car. She says she feels too vulnerable sitting that close to the ground. So she will be driving the Tahoe until I can afford to fix her Wrangler.

I have no problem buying something a little out of the mainstream. That's why I bought the Forte over a Civic or Corolla. It was in better shape for less money than it's better known competitors.

The Vue is cheap, utilitarian and overlooked. The gas mileage doesn't bother me that much as it's better than the Tahoe.

I read John's Vue thread all the way through. Lots of great info in there! I have no problem fixing stuff as long as the major systems are good. Pretty much everything in my price range is going to have something that needs addressed immediately. 

John Welsh said:

You'll be disappointed!  The shifter is not sporty but more like "the need to change the gears yourself."

Keep the revs under 3k for best mpg (which is only 26.). It's very under powered and slightly wrong geared. The boxy shape and small engine means 3,000 rpm at 65 mph. 

The 2010 Kia Forte Koup I bought about 4 years ago was the same. The manual was uninspiring. I ended up replacing the perished cable bushings with Delrin ones and installing a Cosmo Racing shifter which improved it but it was still as exciting as tepid oatmill. 

Welp, that Vue was a rusty turd. The first foot of both front rockers were gone. The rest of the underside was barely there. The a/c didn't work. Something in the front suspension was broken and the RF caliper was frozen. I wouldn't have given him $1000 for it.

I'll be looking at the 2004 Santa Fe tomorrow. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/13/22 9:18 p.m.

Good luck, man.

Welp, I'm the new owner of this hot rod. 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.4L FWD 5 speed manual. 179k miles, one owner(!) who had it serviced at the local dealership. The chassis is so clean you could eat off of it. There is some paint chipping at the leading edge of the hood and that's it.

Interior is clean but there are some cracks in the dash trim.

It drove good but had a clunk in the front going over bumps. I'm 90% sure it's a sway bar end link. The a/c was ice cold. It's very "floaty" as in soft not unstable.

Not too bad for $2900 in this market

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/14/22 6:13 p.m.

Boy, that does look clean!  

Does it have cruise control?  I ask because some of these Korean stripper models (with manual trans) are really stripped.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/14/22 6:14 p.m.

Congrats,  nicely bought

In reply to John Welsh :

You know, I didn't even think to check. Oops. It's a base so there is a good possibility that it doesn't have cruise. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/14/22 6:30 p.m.

If it does have cruise, it appears the buttons are added to the wheel.

In reply to John Welsh :

Then nope, no cruise. Not a big deal really since I rarely use cruise with the terrible traffic around here. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/14/22 6:36 p.m.

Yeah, governor-style cruise is useless in any traffic at all.

That looks really solid. Great buy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D5ckE6SvXNgJxGzLylJnKOtJb46mrxQxhSJosYKSUmMAymVe2UPPr1KraWHkk5SR