1 2
neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/13/08 5:59 p.m.

$.60 gas was fine, until you had the gas shortage, and what where the kids getting paid for the burger fliping/ grocery store jobs back then.

every decade since the '50s has had it's ups and downs, to the point of on one decade was significantly better than the others, just my $.02

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
12/13/08 8:03 p.m.
cwh wrote: I was there for the 70's. I just don't remember it.

If you remember the 70's, you weren't really there.

Same goes for the 60's.

Unless you lived in the prairies. The 60's didn't hit the prairies until the 70's.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/14/08 12:35 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote:
If you remember the 70's, you weren't really there. Same goes for the 60's. Unless you lived in the prairies. The 60's didn't hit the prairies until the 70's.

Im not trying to be a jerk, but the whole concept of remembering something meaning you weren't there is kind of silly, like championing drug use...

Joey

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
12/14/08 1:25 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I think if the video were of a bunch of ricers driving like morons and getting stoned in civics we would be all up in arms. But since its a Ferrari i its ok? Joey

Yup. Because in 2054, no one is going to look back at a video of ricers in a 2008 Civic and say, "Those were the days!" The 250 cost $18,000 in 1962, was a successful car in competition and went on to become one of the most valuable cars ever, according to the same narrator in a different video. Not exactly a Civic of the day.

That they were getting stoned is immaterial. Take that away from the video, it wouldn't be missed. But take the cars out of it...

glen914
glen914 New Reader
12/14/08 3:10 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
glen914 wrote: In reply to null: IM not a sentimental fool for the 70s, but there is something to be said about sixty cent gas, cops who drove drunks home etc. The kids who stayed home watching happy days were nerds. We had no Ferraris, but much hell was raised in big block detroit iron and on first generation superbikes. Ill take 70s roadracing 917s, trans am ponycars,outdoor motocross with two strokes,and a more innocent and naive time anyday. Call me an old fogey,but it beats the E36 M3 out of gameboys and ultra restricted racing with interpretation of rules as the most creative part,disco roundy round stadium motocross,and fart can civics.
Cops driving drunks home is going to stop drunk driving...I dont think that will work. I think the cops should be made to shoot every third drunk driver they pull over. "Sorry bud, I know your just over the limit, but...BLAM BLAM BLAM!" I dont lament the seventies. I was a fetus for a longer period of time in the seventies than I was a human, though. Im glad I grew up when I did. Plus, and I will admit those are some of the most beautiful cars ever, but think about idiots like Nick Hogan...Stoned, driving like an idiot on the wrong side of the road... I think if the video were of a bunch of ricers driving like morons and getting stoned in civics we would be all up in arms. But since its a Ferrari i its ok? Joey

I agree completely! My point is that things were not as crowded and regulated. I think that was a pitiful self indulgent use of a ferrari by a spoiled rich kid who doesnt appear to be much of a driver. that was the sixties anyhow...But,back to the d.u.i. issue, I lived in a small town and 5 of my friends never saw 20 years old. From driving crazy though, not drinking. Also,a video of a bunch of fart canners would be on youtube not here. And what is cool about censorship in a offtopic area? That berkeleying sucks cocks.

glen914
glen914 New Reader
12/14/08 3:26 a.m.

In reply to neon4891: $1.80, I was commenting on the video and mentioned the good things I enjoyed,Id never go back. We also had a giant phone attached to the wall,5 channels on tv, rampant,cancer stick smoking evrywhere,and a middle class home had 1 tv one car,one bathroom,etc. It wasnt that good.I never saw a ferrari.And skinnyg,I was there and I remember it all,and trendyness is a dubious quality who needs happy days and a pet rock in the prarie? Just like the changing times,every location has something to offer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/08 7:46 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I think if the video were of a bunch of ricers driving like morons and getting stoned in civics we would be all up in arms. But since its a Ferrari i its ok?

You took the thoughts right out of my head...nice cars, but stupid people...

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/14/08 10:54 a.m.
MikeSVO wrote:
joey48442 wrote: I think if the video were of a bunch of ricers driving like morons and getting stoned in civics we would be all up in arms. But since its a Ferrari i its ok? Joey
Yup. Because in 2054, no one is going to look back at a video of ricers in a 2008 Civic and say, "Those were the days!" The 250 cost $18,000 in 1962, was a successful car in competition and went on to become one of the most valuable cars ever, according to the same narrator in a different video. Not exactly a Civic of the day. That they were getting stoned is immaterial. Take that away from the video, it wouldn't be missed. But take the cars out of it...

I don't care if its a Ferrari or not. If that idiot hit my wife or my sister and my new nephew, I would kill him. Civic or 250, it doesn't matter. Idiots driving like idiots. I don't care what they are in.

Joey

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/14/08 11:27 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
SkinnyG wrote:
If you remember the 70's, you weren't really there. Same goes for the 60's. Unless you lived in the prairies. The 60's didn't hit the prairies until the 70's.
Im not trying to be a jerk, but the whole concept of remembering something meaning you weren't there is kind of silly, like championing drug use... Joey

Drug use was a LOT more out front in that time.

See also: Jefferson Airplane "White Rabbit" Velvet Underground "Heroin" The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds" Dylan/The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" Amboy Dukes "Journey to the Center of the Mind" The Byrds "Eight Miles High" ...I could go on for hours

Not to mention Easy Rider, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Yellow Submarine, the fact that the early years of Saturday Night Live were tailored to audiences whom the producers assumed were high (yes, I know htis was 1975 and not the 60's)

The drug culture changed when it shifted from the acid and weed of the 60's to the cocaine and heroin of the 70's. It turned from stuff that made people "happy" to stuff that made people miserable. Of course, now, there's a bit of everything.

It doesn't excuse it, but it still happened. Yes, Virginia, a lot of drugs were done in the 60's.

Oddly enough, I've never indulged in anything stronger than alcohol.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/15/08 11:21 a.m.

Ah the 250. One of the greatest cars ever. But is true that only 39 units were made?

Or is it like Sonetts ( about 8000 made ) and yet Everyone you meet knows someone who had one !

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/08 7:18 p.m.

What really stands out to me in the video is the pure joy that the drivers were expressing. No cool, ironic detachment. It reminds me of 1 AM road warrior enactments and cops who'd stop you to compare notes on cars.

People didn't take things so seriously. Now it seems that the slightest infraction gets you a monumental fine and/or a trip to the clinker. Then there was more forgiveness of well-meaning fun.

sigh......

glen914
glen914 New Reader
12/16/08 11:52 a.m.

In reply to kreb:Yes. Thats what I was trying to say. I think.

glen914
glen914 New Reader
12/16/08 12:01 p.m.

In reply to gamby:2001 a space odyssey? That movie seemed frightfully realistic rather than surreal. I think when drug culture evolved from experimental to self indulgent getting trashed,the naive hippy culture was over. I do not believe the fanciful stylings of pop music reflect the mood of the public,either or we would be conversing with vocoders and gyrate/hunching constantly today.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/16/08 3:22 p.m.
glen914 wrote: In reply to gamby:2001 a space odyssey? That movie seemed frightfully realistic rather than surreal.

Think of some of the imagery in 2001--specifically in the last 3rd of the film. It's some of the most surreal stuff ever. Sure, it ushered in the modern era of Sci-fi film, but there was some strange imagery therein as well.

I didn't live through it, but it was fairly common practice to view this movie in an altered state of some sort--probably acid.

Google "2001 A space Odyssey + LSD" and start reading.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/08 9:58 a.m.

Drugs are for people who lack imagination and exciting hobbys. (Sanctimonious enough for you?) I grew up in the Berkeley of the 70s. There was plenty interesting going on that didn't require chemicals.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z1dznkVC8iDphVQ43nebQKbonQ9XgZHVHv9SrLKl2pex29NXmKPQzZHmYkhny1Dh