1 2 3 ... 136
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/13/12 1:53 p.m.

This was inspired by the Squire rehab thread. I was about to post in it, but then decided to not hijack his thread.

I buy guitars like I buy cars, weird and cheap, and whenever a deal arises..

My main guitar for years was an old Cort. Dark wood finish, double humbuckers, neck through body, heavy as hell, but plays and sounds awesome. I think I paid $75 for it.

I then got a Rickenbacker 4001 copy of mysterious origin (for $60 I think). It's so convincing that when I brought it into the local Ric dealer for some parts a few of the guys there were kind of freaking out over it. Oh, and every part I've ever had to replace I bought directly from Rickenbacker and it's all worked perfectly. Here's a pic of it with my robot.

The only guitar I've ever bought new was a Danelectro longhorn (or guitarlin, whatever you want to call it). I think that was in the late '90s when they came back out. It's just like this one.

I recently bought an early '70s Epiphone EA-250 that needed work for $70. I spent maybe another $30 on it and it now plays pretty damn nice too. Here it is the day I bought it, missing the bridge, trem arm, and knobs. I bought it from a coworker, and that's my office.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/13/12 2:02 p.m.

Why did I expect this?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/13/12 2:17 p.m.

Here's my 1976 or 1977 Gibson S-1. It's a strange beast for a Gibson as it has 3 single coil pickups and a bolt-on neck. Plays great-- nice crunch and it's heavy enough that I can kill someone with it---- who needs guns!

I also have a Japanese Strat, and a Martin DX-1 acoustic, but sorry, no pics!

and yes, I have an engine block for a wine rack.....no, I do not have a wife

RossD
RossD UberDork
12/13/12 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

You also don't dust!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/12 2:23 p.m.

I don't have any pictures here at work, but here's a link to my friend's site. The first 2 pics in the gallery are of a bass he helped me build in the mid-90's.

http://www.tunesmithguitars.com/?page_id=3

I'll get pics of the others and post later.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/13/12 2:32 p.m.

So is that a lefty that's strung right-handed?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/13/12 2:40 p.m.

From my other thread...

Here's what I have for gear.

Guitars: -Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric

-Epiphone Les Paul Standard

-Jackson Performer PS4 Pic:

Bass Guitars (all 4 string): -Ibanez TR70 with P/J pickups

-Ibanez Soundgear SR400 with active electronics

-Warwick Streamer Standard Pic:

-a strange 3/4-scale 60's Japanese Thunderbird copy

I'll have to take some pics of the rest of my stuff. Not a bad stringed instrument setup for a drummer!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
12/13/12 2:59 p.m.

Oh golly!

I will have to update this when I get home. These are the only pics I have on pbucket. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

The Red one has been my number one for over 20 years, It is a 64 Vox Tornado. Hot rodded with a Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and a Duncan 59 in the Bridge position. Wired with 2 volumes and a switch.

The Blue is a 40's Harmony Catalina that I saved from a dumpster and converted to a cutaway and made electric. It looked like this when I found it

Two dog ear P90's and standard wiring.

The long oar shaped thing is called "the Oar" or the "Valley Dulcimer" I built it from scratch for a friend that needed a dulcimer he could play standing up with his irish folk band. The Mandolin is just wall art. My player mando isn't in this picture, nor is my old Seagull S6 Cedar.

Newest acquisition are these. I bought one of the reissue Harmony H22 basses and strung it with flatwounds. Love it. I nails the Ronnie Lane "Small Faces" bass sound. Photobucket

The new lady friend came with a few instruments and I am now refurbing her 84 G&L SB-2. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App It is a cool Bass and she has gigged all over the country with it since the early 90's. It was actually given to her in 91 as payment for a gig when the club owner couldn't pay the band what he promised. It is filthy and awesome but she wants it cleaned up.

The amp in the background is a 5F2A princeton circuit that I built and modified from pieces of an old console stereo chassis. 2 12" Celestion greenbacks in a closed back combo. I did everything from folding the aluminum chassis to building the cabinet from reclaimed birch shelving and covered it in craigslist sourced tolex.

Also in the works is this Silvertone 1446

as found Photobucket

Now Photobucket

And a Bobkat neck for some short scale fun. Photobucket

I have at least 6 more guitars and basses around the house.... Oh yeah and the Bass-jo. I will get pics of that soon.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/13/12 3:00 p.m.

Basses -

The fiver -

The acoustic -

The first "not a POS" I ever got -

Guitars - An Ibanez Lawsuit Paul -

A homebuilt that looks kind of like this -

...and a satin finish Takamine acoustic that is too generic to find a pic of on GIS.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/13/12 3:24 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Basses - The first "not a POS" I ever got -

I love these!!! When I went to a summer camp in the summer between 8th and 9th grade with some friends, they had one of these there. I spent a lot of time making the overly pious people that ran the camp upset by playing all sorts of Metal songs on that bass.

My friend also has this same exact bass, and I want it, but he won't part with it. The main reason why I ended up getting my TR70 was from my two experiences playing these. I still want one.

Were those also called the TR Bass? Mine is a later one that looks like this:

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/13/12 3:44 p.m.

I'll try to take some pics tonight. Just set of a Flicker account so we'll see how that works.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/13/12 4:10 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Joe Gearin: You also don't dust!

what part of the "I don't have a wife" part did you not understand?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/13/12 4:29 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Were those also called the TR Bass?

RD828. Part of the Roadbass Series.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/13/12 4:33 p.m.

I don't have pics handy of most of them, but here's a couple.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/12 6:41 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey:

Yes, I'm left-handed but play bass(and guitar, to the little extent I "play" it) strung right-handed. Here's a current pic of it.

Photobucket

This one is my repop Dano. I picked it up at an awesome vintage guitar shop in Terre Haute called "Ye Olde Music Shoppe" a couple years ago for $250. It's not only the best playing bass I've owned, it also sounds more like a Rickenbacker than any of those I've owned!

Photobucket

This one is definitely one of my more prized possessions. It's a '68 Hagstrom 8-string.

Photobucket

And onto the guitars...

This is just a Squire Tele that I picked up for $125, but it's incredibly heavy and SOLID! It has great tone too. Shame I suck at guitar.

Photobucket

This is a 70's Epiphone bolt-on neck acoustic I got for free 15-years ago, after it had been left behind at a club for over a year. Sounds decent and plays very well.

Photobucket

This was my dad's. It's just a cheap 60's classical/spanish guitar, but it plays ok.

Photobucket

And this last one I picked up a couple weeks ago to flip. It's a 1949 Old Kraftsman, which was built by Kay. It's acoustic only, and a lower-end model, but still seems pretty solid, although I haven't got strings on it yet to try it out. By the way, that's an airbrushed faux flame-maple finish.

Photobucket

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/12 8:21 p.m.

Here's my latest one, and I love it. After visiting PRS, of course I came back hungry for a Maryland-made one. Our local shop had just received this 1998 CE22 and I fell in love. It had the right shape, heft and, of course, tone. I also love the bolt-on maple neck. (Oh, and it wasn't a zillion dollars.)

It's a little plain by PRS standards but I love the details. It's hard to see in this photo, but the locking tuners resemble the PRS wings. The fret dots are real shell. For some reason I also like the black headstock. I also like the fact that PRS used a 1-10 knob on the five-way tone selector. The thing just radiates, too.

If only my playing did it justice.

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
12/13/12 8:27 p.m.

some of mine (the Strat was a project when I was a Satriani obsessed high schooler....until I eventually got the real guitar later on :P )

I painted both of these: JS100 with 540R neck and a 80's Fender HM Strat (USA)

JS1000

The rest of the family:

This is the one that I play the most, JEM7DBK that somebody stripped the finish from, and I got a bargain on it as a result :D

Someday I would like a 7 string nylon stringed guitar, then I would learn a few of the Bach Cello Suites (at least the first one, or the first movement of the first one). I took a few lessons from a guy who had one and was working on them, it was pretty neat stuff.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
12/13/12 8:36 p.m.

First bass as a pro: Kramer Focus

First fiver: ESP LTD (had to have one after seeing vid for "Dream Warriors")

Same bass after Kahler install (and haircut)

The 90's: Rare 1st gen Steinberger 5 and weightlifting pants

Samick I brought back home from Korea after the Army:

Second fav Fender I ever had: Mexi-P loaded with Quarter Pounders

Former Fender Company: Heartfield DR4. Good bass.

Washburn Bantam 6

Ibanez Fieldy:

Ibby 6:

Opening for Mark Farner: G&L SB1. Fender and Ric in back belong to other opening band's (Todd Wolfe) bassist.

G&L with backup ESP Vintage 4 (which is actually LTD Vintage 204 with ESP sticker):

Man, I wish I spent this money on cars instead of basses!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/12 8:39 p.m.

I <3 this thread...

One corner of my office...

My home setup is a 1967 Ampeg B-15NF on a 67 cab.

You can also see my Avril Lavigne tele in this shot... lulz

So, my current live setup... 1967 Ampeg BT-15 (solid state B-15) though a MosValve power amp into a modded Peavey 2x15.

Build thread - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-2x15-project-complete-823227/

You can see the Cowpoke got refinished. (Band is now The Deckards - http://facebook.com/TheDeckards)

New grill cloth:

Currently rebuilding my first "real" bass. I'll have a build thread soon.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
12/13/12 8:40 p.m.

The spare bedroom at my house gets to house my collection.

Left to right:

1995 American deluxe jazz bass

Peavey grind 5 string

Squier 25th anniversary 5 string Pbass

Takamine ef3418cx

Old handmade dobro (given to me by my uncle shortly before he passed)

Squier Affinity tele

hot rodded mexi strat (has the guts from an american custom strat)

not pictured:

5 string banjo and a mandolin

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
12/13/12 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Gimp:

Just put ya on my TalkBass buddy list!

Gimp
12/13/12 8:48 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote: In reply to Gimp: Just put ya on my TalkBass buddy list!

Gimme your name on the board!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/12 8:52 p.m.

I was really hoping to have something more interesting than my bargain-basement Epiphone Les Paul Jr copy to post at this point in the day, but CL dude hasn't called me back...

Gimp
12/13/12 8:52 p.m.
ransom wrote: I was really hoping to have something more interesting than my bargain-basement Epiphone Les Paul Jr copy to post at this point in the day, but CL dude hasn't called me back...

Post anyway!

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
12/13/12 8:55 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
phaze1todd wrote: In reply to Gimp: Just put ya on my TalkBass buddy list!
Gimme your name on the board!

just like you, same as here.

1 2 3 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f5JlXVfxMNvxlXUQy2VSCHcw4AatQK3vxr5G8snk55Mdj9wtdGHyQ8KB3Vyty37W