1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 136
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 6:13 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Thank you. I'm a fan of maple headstocks as well. 

It's stunning in real life--like, the whole guitar just glows. And, of course, it sounds and plays like a PRS. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 6:53 p.m.

Anybody know anything about Maya guitars? My S-I-L has one that may be looking for a new home. It's an acoustic, Dreadnought body, top looks like maple, back and sides are different wood but absolutely gorgeous. If she sells it, what kind of pricing should she be looking for?

I'll post some pics in a bit. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/22 7:00 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Anybody know anything about Maya guitars? My S-I-L has one that may be looking for a new home. It's an acoustic, Dreadnought body, top looks like maple, back and sides are different wood but absolutely gorgeous. If she sells it, what kind of pricing should she be looking for?

I believe they were japanese and haven't been made in at least 20 years? Maybe more

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 8:02 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Recon1342 said:

I believe they were japanese and haven't been made in at least 20 years? Maybe more

It's definitely MiJ. Headstock logo and fret markers are inlaid, as are the rosettes around the sound hole. Top and back are bound. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 8:03 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 8:03 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 8:04 p.m.

The images really don't do it justice. The wood grain is three dimensional. 

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/1/22 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks.... I don't need more guitars, I don't need more guitars, I don't need more guitars

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/1/22 8:32 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater5000 :

If I was interested in acoustic guitars at all...

it's a good thing I'm a bassist.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/1/22 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I don't remember the last time I got my main acoustic out. I consider myself very much an electric player, but I've still accumulated a bunch of acoustics over the years and even having trimmed the collection down to the bare minimum I still somehow have three or four. Of which only one is the keeper. I suppose im more of a guitar foster than a collector. One wife, but my side flings all have 4-6 strings, and there's been a lot of them. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/2/22 8:08 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

After not having an amp awhile, and not being able to get off my wallet or even downselect a small tube practice amp like I wanted, I got a Spark. Well color me impressed with this little solid state berkeleyer. I may take a pic of it as per the thread title, but you all know what it looks like.

I spent some time today with a Spark. It is surprisingly good. Especially the clean channel using single coils. The high gain and metal settings seem pretty synthetic to me but the clean stuff is pretty good to my ears. The speaker in this is shockingly good. I ran my phone in via Bluetooth and the phone signal and guitar signals do not step on each other at all. Weirdly, the speaker sounds better to me than running headphones. I hope to play it a little more this week. Great little travel/practice amp. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/16/22 10:34 p.m.

Well, this has launched now so, here we are. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 10:41 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Wow! Though the semi-hollow body on the right is downright gorgeous. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/16/22 11:05 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jh36 :

Wow! Though the semi-hollow body on the right is downright gorgeous. 

Thanks Pete. That hollowbody is my most cherished guitar. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 11:06 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

The new SE Silver Sky? They sound impressive. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/16/22 11:11 p.m.
jh36 said:

Well, this has launched now so, here we are. 

Needs Moar Bass!

really good looking stuff tho...

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/17/22 7:53 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to jh36 :

The new SE Silver Sky? They sound impressive. 

Yep, SE Silver Sky. It is a very addictive guitar to me. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/17/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Here it is...it's an early piezo, 1999. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/17/22 8:03 a.m.

What makes it special to me is the back. I was production manager and these were all my guys and gals on the shop floor at the time. It was an incredible group of people. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/22/22 9:18 p.m.

Lately, I've been playing bass a lot, and have spent a lot of time wanting my Thunderbird to play better. It's biggest problem is that I've been tuning it to C Standard and the strings on it didn't enjoy that. So, I picked up some new ones, some HEAVY ones, and got to work. 

Sounds terrible, but I haven't changed the strings on this since I brought it home 9 years ago. I didn't really fall in love with this bass right away, and it spent most of its time with me in a gig bag. 

Frets were gross and getting corrosion spots, so I cleaned them up a bit. 

The board was also gross. I oiled and cleaned it a few times before I was happy with it. This is after just one pass. 

And the final result. This thing is a true Metal machine now with the Heavy Gauge GHS Boomers on it. Lordy... It plays so much better than it ever did. It just feels right, and has great tone to boot. It's like I just brought home a new bass!

In other news, I messed around with my Martin Stinger bass a bit tonight as well. After numerous tweaks, I came to the conclusion that the neck is just too far gone to use. Truss rod is as tight as it goes, and unfortunately, the whole thing is twisted. I also discovered that the body is plywood when I removed the neck. That's not ideal. I'll find a cheap P-Bass neck for it, maybe a new bridge, and see what I can do with it. 

1/22/22 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

You change strings on a bass?!?? Lol

There's a bass around here with 25 year old flats on it. Sounds glorious imo

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/22/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Flats can stay on forever. I have roundwounds on everything. I actually have a set of used flats I'm going to put on something eventually. They are still good, too! 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/23/22 12:18 a.m.

Wow. My dad just plays in club bands and usually changes strings after two 4 set gigs. 

You can definitely here the brightness go away after just a couple of hours of playing. 

1/23/22 12:48 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Wow. My dad just plays in club bands and usually changes strings after two 4 set gigs. 

You can definitely here the brightness go away after just a couple of hours of playing. 

Reduced brightness is the goal with bass.

Admittedly I prefer bass tones that never go above like.....100hz.

Well ...unless it's in a band with more than one bass player, and that's something I'd love to do one day

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/23/22 1:03 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Reduced brightness is the goal with bass.

Admittedly I prefer bass tones that never go above like.....100hz.

Well ...unless it's in a band with more than one bass player, and that's something I'd love to do one day

No, it's not. You're confusing hz with tone. The open G string on a bass is 98 hz, so that means you only like to use just more than half of the available notes possible on a 4-string bass, since the 5th fret of the D is the same hz as the open G. 

As the strings wear and the wind gets clogged with skin flakes and the oil from your skin they start to sound dead and lose sustain (same thing happens on guitar strings as well)......but you guys are talking about liking flatwounds (which I think sound terrible and dead), so obviously we have different tastes. 

1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TzjeA9tcBt3LNjED9aUGZKRbIMI01CqEVUG8GFeEj0QiYW46we3sFsragWZ8zPKn