1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 136
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/22 1:46 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Peavey's are all awesome and apparently awesome weighs a lot lol.

Neo speaker could help a lot though, I'm not sure if the cab itself is most of the weight

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/21/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The speaker is no lightweight. But without spending more than this amp is worth, it isn't getting replaced. More than the weight concern is simply structural. Once upon a time I added a speaker jack so I could run an extension cab, and I cut the hole for it with a hammer. There are chips, cracks, tolex falling off... mechanically it's sound, but the doors are falling off. 

Antihero
7/22/22 1:49 a.m.

I'm falling down a rabbit hole on hi hats. Listened to a bunch of clips and...... remembered I don't like the sound of hi hats anyway.

But because I'm me the best ones I've heard are hand hammered 16 inch ones.

Antihero
7/22/22 1:59 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

The speaker is no lightweight. But without spending more than this amp is worth, it isn't getting replaced. More than the weight concern is simply structural. Once upon a time I added a speaker jack so I could run an extension cab, and I cut the hole for it with a hammer. There are chips, cracks, tolex falling off... mechanically it's sound, but the doors are falling off. 

Hammer routing is never ideal lol

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/22/22 9:23 a.m.

I love Peavey stuff. In fact, all my amplification is Peavey! My big bass combo is a red stripe Combo 115. It's the only thing bigger than the TKO 115. It weighs as much as a mountain and will disintegrate my house if I turn it up all the way. I love it. 

They can be had for pretty cheap, too (except for the stupid Decade combos thanks to Josh Homme). We have a saying in the PEAVEY CVLT  Fb group I'm in: "ALL PV $100". That applies to the instruments, too. laugh

barefootcyborg5000
7/23/22 12:31 a.m.

Safe to say, I'm out of room. More and more I find myself wanting to drum, so I set up the kit as small and insulated as possible, which meant cleaning up the closet. New hi hats arrive tomorrow, drum heads and a throne on Monday, and not soon enough. I have two jam sessions in the next week.
Then a random thing happened out of nowhere. My cousin who got me started playing just moved to town so maybe we finally start that band we've been talking about for 20+ years. 

Antihero
7/23/22 9:13 p.m.

Band possiblity is good!

I may have had the same thing happen actually 

barefootcyborg5000
8/1/22 8:44 p.m.

New hi-hats arrived last week and are awesome. New K custom dark ride is scheduled to arrive Thursday. Which means I don't need these others anymore. 
Anyone interested in some ZBT cymbals? 
14" hats

16" crash

18" china

20" ride

i have the set listed locally for $200. GRM deal is free shipping. Or I'm looking for a couple boom stands, boom clamps, or a double pedal, or a decent crash or splash. barefootskater1200 at google mail.

Of course, open to offers or parting out.

barefootcyborg5000
8/8/22 4:12 p.m.

The new hotness just arrived:

!!!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/8/22 5:02 p.m.

It's getting toward the end of the summer now, and I'm getting urges to pick a winter project to work on. I've been playing a lot more bass so far this year, and right now, and I think I want to either buy another one or pick an existing one out of the arsenal to fix up. If I go with the "fix it up" route, I have two that need attention: 

This Martin Stinger bass:

Or this Peavey Foundation S: 

Both have fairly major issues. The Stinger needs a new neck. I've tried to bend it, adjust the truss rod, etc. but 30 years in a basement closet warped it beyond repair. The pickups work and sound good, but it may need new pots unless I can get these ones to move (they are frozen solid). The stock bridge is one of those 80's imported ones with the giant brass blocks, which is awful. I bolted a spare Jazz Bass bridge to it, but I think a larger, die-cast bridge would be better. Not sure what neck would fit this, but I'm guessing a P-style neck would be close. Need to do some measuring. It also has a plywood body, but that doesn't bother me. The aged white finish is perfect, and it would be perfect for an 80's style build. 

The Peavey feels great, and the neck is amazing, but the electronics are a mess. Someone swapped in a non-stock P-pickup and added a rat's nest of wiring. The tone control does nothing, and it has full treble all the time on both pickups. I wanted to swap pickups to a stock-looking set (the original Schaller pickups were just DiMarzio copies) and start from scratch with the wiring. 

I also have some trade fodder for the local music store in the form of an Alesis DM-10 electronic drum kit and a Jackson JS22 guitar that needs work that I probably won't play again. I bet I could get enough to get something killer trading in that stuff. The DM-10 module alone seems to go for a few bucks these days. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Keep the Peavey, it's a project you can definitely complete.

Unless you can find another Martin neck, there's no guarantees any other neck will work without screwing up the intonation, possibly requiring a bridge relocation. 

barefootcyborg5000
8/9/22 1:38 a.m.

Echoing what Pete said about parts being difficult... I'm also a fan of playing to one's strengths. You're a peavey guy. They're built like tanks, these days they're pretty rare (good conversation piece) and it's a great opportunity to upgrade the electrics and clean stuff up. Maybe add a trick or two like active boost or a kill switch...

Antihero
8/9/22 9:19 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

The new hotness just arrived:

!!!

How awesome is it?

barefootcyborg5000
8/9/22 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

It's good. Tons of definition and attack, and when crashed it really opens up. Sounds great. Oddly, I generally prefer the tone of the dry ride, but this one is way more versatile. And it has a ton more sustain. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/9/22 11:44 a.m.

K Zildjian and K Custom stuff is awesome. There's really not much that I've heard from either line that I didn't like. That ride has to sound amazing! 

With rides, it took me a LONG time to nail down a "perfect" ride for my playing style. I went through the following:

-60's Zildjian 18" ride
-Paiste lower line (maybe 302?) 20" ride
-Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride 20"
-Zildjian A Rock Ride 20"
-Sabian AA Dry Ride 21"
-Zildjian A Medium Ride 20"

Out of those, I still have the A Rock Ride and the A Medium Ride. The A Medium is my "daily driver" and I love the thing. When I bought it, I was looking for something with a good wash, and the guy at the drum shop I used to go to recommended it. He was in an ACDC tribute band, and mentioned that he has one on his kit. For the intro to Hells Bells, this is what he uses, and if it could do that, then it would be perfect for what I wanted to do. And it was! Has great stick definition at low volume, a solid bell, and crashes great! Reminds me a lot of the A Zildjian Sweet Ride, but more versatile. It does everything well. 

The Rock Ride might get traded in soon, as it's been sitting in a bag for years and I always just go back to the A Medium. The one that got away was the Sabian AA Dry Ride. That had one of the the best bell sounds I've heard, and was perfect for lower volume stuff.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/9/22 11:50 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Keep the Peavey, it's a project you can definitely complete.

Unless you can find another Martin neck, there's no guarantees any other neck will work without screwing up the intonation, possibly requiring a bridge relocation. 

Yeah, that's the thing. If I can find a neck with the right heel measurements, I want to at least try it. If it doesn't work out, then I bought myself a neck I can use on another project someday. I'm guessing that since it was an import likely built in the Samick factory by the looks of it (and the fact that the original headstock looks exactly like the old Samick P-copy I had years ago), there shouldn't be any exotic specs. If I can score a P-style neck cheap, then it's worth a shot. 

The Peavey is getting built either way. That thing was an epic find, it's pretty rare, and I'm keeping it forever. 

barefootcyborg5000
8/9/22 11:53 a.m.

An A custom was high on the list. But I've back-to-back tested them before and the K was my choice. My buddy has a 22" and I'm a bit jelly, but his snare cost more than my whole kit so far so... I also really like the K dark hats, but I found these beautifully patina'd New Beats for a steal, and they're great. I used to have a set of A custom hats that I loved, but I sold them and still regret it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/9/22 12:56 p.m.

I love the New Beats. They are good at everything! I actually have a bottom 14" New Beat that I've been looking for a matching top for (someone gave it to me years ago after they cracked the top). Been looking for a long time.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/9/22 3:25 p.m.
Antihero said:

I'm falling down a rabbit hole on hi hats. Listened to a bunch of clips and...... remembered I don't like the sound of hi hats anyway.

16 inch hats? Jeez. My 13" inch new beats felt right and 14"was the max for me. The hardware has to be screaming to return a 16" back up without being lazy.

barefootcyborg5000
8/9/22 4:39 p.m.

My new beats are stylishly muffled because apartment

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/9/22 5:41 p.m.

I thought 15" hats were large! 

The set that I've been using for years (now I'm going to sound like a pretentious ween-bag) is a set I matched myself. They are from Sabian and 13", with an AAX Fusion Hat bottom and a Hand Hammered Regular Hat top. These are sort of like a DIY Sabian version of the Zildjian K/Z Special hats, and back when I was getting my stuff from a small shop that had the hook-up with Sabian, I was able to spend a lot of time picking what I wanted. The bottom cymbal has two holes in it, making them really fast. They are good at most things, especially technical stuff, but I'm finding myself playing heavier things these days.

I'd like to get a remote or fixed hi-hat mount and get another set for the other side of my kit to make double bass playing easier. For that set, I'm thinking New Beats in 14" or an old set of Sabian AA Regular Hats or AAX Stage Hats. Can't go wrong with any of those. 

Antihero
8/9/22 7:34 p.m.

This is my very favorite ride sound ever. I'm a big fan of the ride and hi hats being quieter than the drums and this thing is spectacular

Antihero
8/9/22 7:35 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero said:

16 inch hats? Jeez. My 13" inch new beats felt right and 14"was the max for me. The hardware has to be screaming to return a 16" back up without being lazy.

I haven't played them so it's just the sound I like from clips I've heard. They are pretty light though so I'd assume they wouldn't be too bad 

Antihero
8/9/22 7:38 p.m.

And in my neverending desire to own weird gear, I have bought these.

Remember I said I didn't like loud hi hats? These are not loud, if anything they are a bit trashy. I like them a lot more than the ones that came with the set

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/10/22 3:29 p.m.

I got bored today and decided to take another look at the wiring in my Peavey Foundation S. For those unfamiliar with what makes it a "S", it has a P/J setup instead of the Super Ferrite (and later humbucker) pickups the regular Foundation basses have. The original pickups were DiMarzio copies made by Schaller, and they used full sized 250k pots for everything. It was a premium bass in its day meant for the gigging professional. 

Somewhere along the way, the P-pickup got replaced with one from a SGC Nanyo bass from Japan, which has to be the most random pickup choice ever, as they are also very rare instruments. Here's where it came from:

And where it is now:

And this is how they replaced them:

I think the guy who owned my Power Wagon before me also owned this bass. Someone also lined the cavity with shielding tape. While both pickups technically work, the tone control didn't. After further inspection, the tone pot was very loose. 

I pried back the tabs and took a look inside, and it was clean. Hmm... is it not working because it's all loose? Yup. Sandwiched it all back together and the tone works now! 

But how does it sound? Well, it's weird. The P-pickup sounds decent, but it has far less output than the J pickup. Alone, the P sounds alright, but blended, the J just takes over and it sounds off balance. It's possible that the P was from an active bass, because most of the SGC basses I've seen are active. That would explain a lot. I'll have to hook a multimeter up to see what they put out. 

I think the best bet is to replace both with a matched pair, or at the very least get a DiMarzio P-pickup with matching output. I like the look of the stock ones with the blacked-out hex poles, so I'm thinking a real set of DiMarzios would be cool. Going to keep my eyes peeled for a deal. I also dug up a wiring diagram, so I'll clean that up when I get around to swapping in new pickups. 

1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nnifXhLkbiiGNluXgiPfI6TNLJbg1L12742isGwhhym6U9763AheZ5r6ouj3fY7I