1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 136
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/31/22 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Oh I'm all out of budget for tinkering at the moment, not to mention I don't have any of the tooling I'd need. I'll keep that in mind though if I ever do get the tools. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/22 10:47 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Oh I'm all out of budget for tinkering at the moment, not to mention I don't have any of the tooling I'd need. I'll keep that in mind though if I ever do get the tools. 

Worst case you can trade me something, I need to get a brighter ride cymbal someday soon and am always looking for something weird

barefootcyborg5000
9/1/22 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I went down a rabbit hole of reading about cymbals and alloys and all that. For bright and cheap, usually something in B8. ZBTs are cheap, if not exactly weird. If you can find one, an 18" Argent crash makes a decent ride for a very reasonable price. 

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan Reader
9/1/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Well you'd need 20k if you wanna buy it

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/22 9:06 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

No photos yet other than the one from the Reverb ad below, but I can confirm that sober Reverb shopping isn't much cheaper than sloshed Reverb shopping.

Not that I have mastered six strings, but for some reason the ergonomics on seven string guitars work slightly better for me. Hopefully this one will give me a bit of a prod to start practising more again.

Let's see how long it takes to get here from Florida.

FedEx thinks the answer to that question is "Sunday". Let's see how that works out. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/3/22 9:15 a.m.

Uhh, I think you’re doing it wrong.

Antihero
9/3/22 11:18 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

At least they are Squiers I guess

Antihero
9/3/22 11:20 p.m.

Managed to get a vintage Speed King pedal for a whole $25 today, way better than the stock Mapex I've been using

barefootcyborg5000
9/24/22 6:10 p.m.

We're about to find out just how bad a Wuhan ORA 16" crash is. I figure it can't be worse than my 16" zbt, and it must be less obnoxious because "reduced volume". And for $35 shipped, it's worth experimenting at least until I move a guitar or something and have real budget. 

Antihero
9/24/22 8:59 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

We're about to find out just how bad a Wuhan ORA 16" crash is. I figure it can't be worse than my 16" zbt, and it must be less obnoxious because "reduced volume". And for $35 shipped, it's worth experimenting at least until I move a guitar or something and have real budget. 

Wuhan makes good cheap China's, and people seem high on them for bang for your buck so I'd say you'll get a good cymbal

barefootcyborg5000
9/24/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Not sure I'm even looking for good. Just usable. The ZBT china was ok, as are the hats and the ride is even borderline. The crash is just obnoxious. It's not trashy enough to be trashy, and it has so much sustain and volume that even if it had decent tone (which it certainly does not) it would still be obnoxious. I've taken to just crashing my 20" K dark ride instead. But I would like some variety.

I plan to buy an older 18" A when I sell something. Gotta keep this music stuff close to zero budget if I can. I'm thinking a gel or two under the bell should take out some of the harsh brightness and help with volume a bit more on this wuhan. 

Antihero
9/24/22 10:02 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Not sure I'm even looking for good. Just usable. The ZBT china was ok, as are the hats and the ride is even borderline. The crash is just obnoxious. It's not trashy enough to be trashy, and it has so much sustain and volume that even if it had decent tone (which it certainly does not) it would still be obnoxious. I've taken to just crashing my 20" K dark ride instead. But I would like some variety.

I plan to buy an older 18" A when I sell something. Gotta keep this music stuff close to zero budget if I can. I'm thinking a gel or two under the bell should take out some of the harsh brightness and help with volume a bit more on this wuhan. 

I think at one point I had an either ZBT or ZHT crash and I couldn't agree more. I was stunned when it sold on Reverb really fast.

I do actually have a 14 inch NuVader that I don't particularly like because it's quiet. I wouldn't say it's the greatest crash ever but it's ridiculously overpowered by my 21" Murat Diril, 18" diril and 20" Meinl and doesn't mix well with anything.

I would trade it for something interesting in the interest of zero budget if you are interested 

barefootcyborg5000
9/24/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

All I have to offer really are one of these zbt jobs. 14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride. 

Antihero
9/24/22 11:10 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

All I have to offer really are one of these zbt jobs. 14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride. 

The ride would be fine, I kinda need a brighter ride to back up the massive washy one I have

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/24/22 11:14 p.m.

This Harmonyt has been my acoustic guitar for... 40 years?

My dad grabbed it out of a bin at the Goodwill or the Salvation Army with the neck hanging off, and glued it all back together. It's an interesting guitar; the neck is pretty wide, but not classical-wide. It's very light, and it plays with a remarkable percussive attack and brightness. It sounds nice, but not hugely "full."

Anyhow, I'd let it languish a while, and then I was totally embarrassed when my wife's dad stayed with us for a couple of days and I didn't have my guitars in order. He actually made a living playing guitar for a while, and... is very good. I felt bad having a guitar missing a string and three tuner bushings sitting around, and was subsequently embarrassed into action.

I finally did one of the things I'd meant to do forever, and while I mostly meant to install proper tuning peg bushings, ended up installing a fresh set of Kluson tuners to replace the mismatched one-Kluson/one-open-mechanism-cheapie with bent knobs. I'm not thrilled with how the reaming went for the larger pegs, but the tuners and bushings cover the sin. And of course it's never been a pretty or valuable guitar, but it means a lot to me.

Antihero
9/24/22 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

That's awesome!

barefootcyborg5000
9/24/22 11:45 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

That works for me. I'll send a pm. Let me know if you don't get it. 

Antihero
9/24/22 11:53 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

That works for me. I'll send a pm. Let me know if you don't get it. 

Received and replied 

barefootcyborg5000
9/25/22 12:00 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

That thing has mojo. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/26/22 9:31 p.m.

My current fleet of inexpensive yet good playing and sounding musical instruments. 

From left to right,  Mastercraft banjo,  Washburn mandolin,  Yamaha acoustic guitar.  

I'm currently missing an electric guitar and possibly a fiddle to finish off my collection.  

I'm not a musician by any means but sometimes I can make them make some pretty sounds wink

barefootcyborg5000
10/1/22 1:36 a.m.

left to right we have 14" new-beat hats, 20" k custom dark, 16" wuhan ORA, 14" NuVader (courtesy of antihero). The drums are 14" snare, 10" Tom, 14" floor, 20" bass. E-rings and shirts for muffling. I've only ever played 5+ piece kits before buying this Pearl, and I'm sold on the smaller setup.

the hats and ride (and snare) are where my money is. I'm picky and bought those with intent. The wuhan was on sale and free shipping so I snagged it because quiet crashes are in demand here in apartment land. It isn't as quiet as the zildjian L80 offerings, and it doesn't sound as good, but still usable for my closeted practicing. The NuVader is surprisingly good. I generally prefer cymbals on the larger side, but it has a low tone that pairs fairly well with the K. And that low note has sustain I wouldn't expect from a 14. It's "nickel silver" which means 12% nickel 88 copper. Way more balanced than the zbt trash. It'll likely stay for a while. 
The video clip a few posts up does a pretty good job on accurate sound for the wuhan. It's actually slightly brighter and trashier IRL, but close. It's a stamped sheet, with no lathing, but surprisingly sweetwater claims the ORA series are B20 bronze. So this will likely be the first piece I start to experiment with. Hammering and such. We'll see. If I can hammer my way into lower and dryer we may have a keeper. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/22 11:01 a.m.

Did anyone see PRS announced that they are making pedals now? I kinda want the Horsemeat one...

Antihero
10/1/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I'm glad you like the NuVader, I thought it would be perfect for your situation. The NS-12 cymbals have a rabid following too, they do have a distinctive sound. I got that one and another 16 inch NuVader with the kit when I bought it actually.

Those Avanti hi hats I have are west German too, I think they are NS-12 as well and I really like those

Antihero
10/1/22 2:07 p.m.

Speaking of which, I got another set of Avanti's but this time they are in a jewel red. They actually sound a bit brighter than my other set.

Antihero
10/1/22 2:28 p.m.
Javelin said:

Did anyone see PRS announced that they are making pedals now? I kinda want the Horsemeat one...

" Transparent" and "Horsemeat" makes me think it's a Klon clone but the controls say otherwise 

1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VvS5fUUPZ80QJPnThekgEH9cIalQrKaUuHlSAQOAjLrzWGCTmgKmb0O4zi4Slige