1 2 3 4
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 9:14 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

I listen to a lot of Jazz from Japan. It's pretty good. 

You should try their scotch.

I need to try some Japanese scotch someday.

The problem is I really really like islays so I usually just end up buying more islays lol

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

They are not allowed to call it scotch. 

Wish I could find the article, but there was a Japanese man who went to Scotland to study Scotch and work with the distillers, and brought this knowledge home with him, and his legally-not-Scotch whiskey is considered to be some of the best in the world.

But Scotch trademarking.... there was a funny (for us, not them) story about a distiller in Nova Scotia who got in legal trouble, and I'll let the FARK headline say it all:

"Scottish Association sues distillery in the Supreme Court of Canada for using the word 'glen'. Distillery located in a glen, in the town of Glenville, in the province of New Scotland...Scotch tape to be next"

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 10:00 p.m.
jharry3 said:

Here is my favorite,  in Latin:  Carl Orff - O Fortuna ~ Carmina Burana - YouTube

YES! I've performed this multiple times. Fantastic music.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 10:07 p.m.
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
1/21/22 10:52 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

...and now I need to go listen to Maori metal.

Yeah you do...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/21/22 11:52 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

The problem is I really really like islays so I usually just end up buying more islays lol

As pointed out, it's whisky or malt whisky. Scotch is specifically from Scotland.

If you like Islay whisky, you're unlikely to find much from Japan that will especially interest you. Their whiskies tend to be more delicate and complex. Very rarely will they be peated.

I recommend Nikka from the Barrel. Kaiyo also has a peated whisky. I have the Kairo cask strength, and it's quite lovely, but much more delicate than any of my Islays.

India also has some fantastic malt whiskies. They tend to have more overt flavors than Japanese, and you're more likely to find them peated. Amrut Fusion is nicely peated - more than Highland Park, less than a typical Islay. Paul John Classic is a better bourbon than any bourbon I've tried (and I've sampled it back to back with Pappy).

Oddly with supply chain weirdness, exchange rates (Brexit?), and general trends, Scotch whisky is less expensive now than the Japanese or Indian whiskies. Lagavulin 15 has gone from $115 to $85 around here.

Edit: For common nomenclature "Single Malt" means an all-malt whisky from a single distillery. "Blended Malt" means an all-malt whisky from multiple distilleries (could still come from a single distilling company, if they have multiple distilleries like Nikka). "Blended Whisky" means it is a blend of malt whisky and grain spirits (basically vodka or moonshine).

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/21/22 11:55 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Wish I could find the article, but there was a Japanese man who went to Scotland to study Scotch and work with the distillers, and brought this knowledge home with him, and his legally-not-Scotch whiskey is considered to be some of the best in the world.

Masataka Taketsuru. Established Suntory distillery. Had creative differences with his boss who insisted the Japanese consumer wanted lighter whiskies, not the heavy Scottish style. After a decade, he left and founded his own distilling company: Nikka.

I am very disappointed that Nikka discontinued what had been my moderate price drink-a-day whisky, Taketsuru Pure Malt, and replaced it with either an inferior or more expensive offering. :-/

Edit: So... yeah... I do distilling now as well as brewing now.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/22 12:13 p.m.

Don't try Quebecois music.  It's universally bad.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/21/22 12:19 p.m.

What do you have against René Simard?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/22 12:54 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
yupididit said:

As pointed out, it's whisky or malt whisky. Scotch is specifically from Scotland.

If you like Islay whisky, you're unlikely to find much from Japan that will especially interest you. Their whiskies tend to be more delicate and complex. Very rarely will they be peated.

I recommend Nikka from the Barrel. Kaiyo also has a peated whisky. I have the Kairo cask strength, and it's quite lovely, but much more delicate than any of my Islays.

India also has some fantastic malt whiskies. They tend to have more overt flavors than Japanese, and you're more likely to find them peated. Amrut Fusion is nicely peated - more than Highland Park, less than a typical Islay. Paul John Classic is a better bourbon than any bourbon I've tried (and I've sampled it back to back with Pappy).

Oddly with supply chain weirdness, exchange rates (Brexit?), and general trends, Scotch whisky is less expensive now than the Japanese or Indian whiskies. Lagavulin 15 has gone from $115 to $85 around here.

Edit: For common nomenclature "Single Malt" means an all-malt whisky from a single distillery. "Blended Malt" means an all-malt whisky from multiple distilleries (could still come from a single distilling company, if they have multiple distilleries like Nikka). "Blended Whisky" means it is a blend of malt whisky and grain spirits (basically vodka or moonshine).

I should have added air quotes around the scotch bit, "scotch".

Scotch prices are staying the same here, lagavulin 16 is still $95. It used to be $65 before the tarrifs but even with the tarrifs ending it's stayed the same price

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 1:06 p.m.
yupididit said:

Start with this one.  Approachable, smooth, great flavor.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 1:11 p.m.

Indian Hip Hop has some amazing stuff.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/21/22 1:26 p.m.

Edit: I'm going to resurrect an old Whiskey thread to move all this talk of Japanese whiskies to.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/21/22 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Please do!

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/22 8:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Don't try Quebecois music.  It's universally bad.

Tabarnak!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/22 11:04 p.m.

I listen to vatevar Sprockets tells me to:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 12:01 a.m.

Okay, so I have my iPad playing on shuffle and it just popped out Kraftwerk (per Sprockets), some French rap on one of Guru's Jazzmatazz albums and then Emma Shapplin, a French singer singing in 17th century Italian.

I think I'm covered.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 12:16 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
jharry3 said:

Here is my favorite,  in Latin:  Carl Orff - O Fortuna ~ Carmina Burana - YouTube

YES! I've performed this multiple times. Fantastic music.

This is a genre I like to call "apocalyptic choral music" :)  Itaipu by Philip Glass and the soundtrack to The Mission both fall within it.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/30/22 9:40 a.m.
yupididit said:

This. 

Ryusenkei and Yogee new Waves are the two that come to mind. Mondo Grosso is another Japanese outfit but are more house/pop house. 

If you're a music theory and language nerd, Japanese Jazz phrase structure can differ from American Jazz phrase structure because the spoken language sentence structure differs. Pretty interesting to think about. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/22 10:28 a.m.

Doesn't count for me, but relevant to the thread:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/30/22 10:54 a.m.
hunter47 said:
yupididit said:

This. 

Ryusenkei and Yogee new Waves are the two that come to mind. Mondo Grosso is another Japanese outfit but are more house/pop house. 

If you're a music theory and language nerd, Japanese Jazz phrase structure can differ from American Jazz phrase structure because the spoken language sentence structure differs. Pretty interesting to think about. 

I pretty recently discovered Casiopea. No Japanese singing, just awesomely fun jazz fusion. The stuff that served as the template for lots of video game music.

Do you want to go for a drive and be happy? Do you want to envision driving off into an 8-bit or 16-bit neon sunset?

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/22 7:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Rammstein

My son had a CD of them way back in the late 90's. His mother was worried that he was listening to devil music and she confiscated it. We later found out that it wasn't and that it was his friend's that he had borrowed. Sorry son.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/30/22 8:10 p.m.

It is hard to not be productive in the garage while listening to Korpiklaani.

They also covered this song, which I assume is meant to be a Finnish tongue-twister.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/22 9:50 p.m.

I have been a fan of Mina Harker for a long time now.  German goth is very different.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/2/22 10:56 p.m.

I feel like The Mars Volta should count, because while only half of it is in Spanish, the half that is in English is not really saying anything intelligible. I mean you can understand the words, but they don't make any sense. 
So good though. It's been a staple of mine going on 15 years now. 

"English":

Spanish (mostly):

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GRpuV5BWD5SfitTDBxFZUCh7Vc0wOPNismimvevVl9mfkXJygNUmLq8HLiwce2rC