Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/23/21 11:35 p.m.

I have the opportunity to buy my late FILs tractor back.  It's a mid-late 80s JD 750(?), diesel, 4wd.  My MIL sold it after my FIL passed, we'd be buying it back from the neighbor who bought it from her.

JD 750 Loader resized - Hess Auction Group

(Not actual tractor, but close, except I haven't seen it in 20 years)

I'm looking at about $8k for it with "new tires, new pump, 'turbo' (I'm guessing this is "tuneup" but telephone game through MIL got it wrong), new brakes".  Includes loader, 3 pt box, brush-hog, finish mower, rake, blade, and suitcase weights.  Also includes a trailer, though I don't know if it's a trailer to put the tractor on, or a trailer to pull with the tractor, I'm hoping the former.

What do I need to know about owning a compact tractor?  I know I'll have to get some big tools (really wish I kept my FILs).  It's more tractor than I need, but if I can afford the maintenance I'd love to have the extra capability.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/24/21 5:37 a.m.

That's a good deal, they are pretty bulletproof and any repairs you need to make are well spelled out. Also, the dealers (here anyway) are crazy eager to help you troubleshoot if you buy parts from them which has never been my experience in the car world.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/24/21 1:03 p.m.

If it runs and you need a tractor, get it. That is a good.. no, with all those extras, great price. It isn't more than you need, it's just right. I thought my first tractor was gonna be enough, but it just wasn't. Now we have a Ford 8N that gets the jobs done around here. But if I'd seen this deal, I'da grabbed it in a heartbeat. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/24/21 2:10 p.m.

Really can't go wrong with JD or Kubota.  With the "family connection", seems like a  win/win.  Based on my limited experience, seems like a solid price given everything it comes with.  My dad has had a "gentlemen's tractor" Kubota for about 20 years.  The implements this comes with are the exact one's he's bought for his over the years.  

EDIT:  "I want to buy back your dad's tractor" seems like a guaranteed stamp of SWMBO approval.  You have to take those opportunities when they present themselves.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/24/21 6:55 p.m.

Thanks for the enabling guys!  Just got off a quick call with the owner, he only had a few minutes to talk but the tractor is at a shop getting the new tires, pump, and misc hoses and fittings installed.

I told him I'll take it.  Scheduled a call tomorrow to discuss logistics, but its looking like I can get it all dropped at my MILs.  

I already have 10 jobs lined up for it.  Unfortunately swmbo has 20 jobs lined up first. 

So pumped to get this tractor back!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/24/21 7:09 p.m.

You wanna loan it out? Lol

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/24/21 7:40 p.m.

As the owner of a 2003 JD4410 E-Hydro this deal  is WELL worth it , good score on the implements.....tractor "seat time" is extremely therapeutic.....as often as you can get it .........wink

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/24/21 10:38 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

And so it begins...

I just checked my records and it appears you have a credit with Dead Sled Enterprises.  This gets you equiptment rental and delivery at cost.  Operator works for food, beer, and BS.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/25/21 6:01 p.m.

And ....when you want to go to the next level......check out WoodMaXX backhoes.....playing in the sandbox with this is a game changer.....wink

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/27/21 9:35 p.m.

Owner finally had a chance to have a call.  Tractor is at the shop still getting the work finished.  It's his buddies deisel truck shop, so its back burner work for them.  He admitted he's been told it'll be ready "early next week" for about 3 weeks now.  He's going to try to push him, mostly because he found the replacement tractor and wants to move on it.  He doesn't need my cash so I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully I'll be able to get it this weekend. 

Everything but the tractor is still next door to my MILs (an hour away from me, at a house he just sold).  He said he'll have his farm hand take the tractor from the shop to her place and move the implements over to her place for me to pick up.  

I'm pretty sure I'll have to make two trips to get everything since I only have a 14ft trailer.  Not a big deal as we love visiting my MIL, and she lives right by mid ohio, but unloading a brush hog without the tractor is going to take some planning.  Hoping to make due with an engine hoist but time will tell.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/27/21 10:01 p.m.
kazoospec said:

EDIT:  "I want to buy back your dad's tractor" seems like a guaranteed stamp of SWMBO approval.  You have to take those opportunities when they present themselves.  

swmbo was 100% on board, she actually reached out to the guy originally a few months ago when we found out he was listing his farm for sale.  She tried to play devils advocate while we were discussing it because she didn't want to buy it just for sentimental reasons.  The truth is, even though its more money than I've ever spent on something other than a house, I'll use the berk out of this thing, and it should only cost me maintenance costs, which aren't nearly as bad as some big tractors I've dealt with.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/21 7:37 p.m.

You'll find that the hydraulics on the 750 are just a wee bit wimpy.  You'll have no problem with the loader moving dirt or mulch, but it won't do you much good if you put teeth on it and try to excavate with it.

Our family has one just identical to that one and I absolutely love it.  Ours doesn't have the loader.  You will come to love that thing.  It is a beast, a workhorse, bulletproof, and wonderfully handy.

Change the oil, periodic change to the fuel filter, drive it forever.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
4/29/21 8:18 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:
kazoospec said:

swmbo was 100% on board, she actually reached out to the guy originally a few months ago when we found out he was listing his farm for sale.  She tried to play devils advocate while we were discussing it because she didn't want to buy it just for sentimental reasons.  The truth is, even though its more money than I've ever spent on something other than a house, I'll use the berk out of this thing, and it should only cost me maintenance costs, which aren't nearly as bad as some big tractors I've dealt with.  

The fact that it comes with new tires is a huge bonus. Besides maybe an engine rebuild tires are the biggest expense you will have with a tractor like that, and they will age out before they wear out unless you spend a lot of time on pavement and concrete. Age out on tractor tires is like 30 years in the real world. 

I would call your insurance guy and let him know you have it and make sure its covered in case a catastrophe happens.

As far as the purchase price is concerned, as long as you keep it maintained and working it will probably always be worth what you paid for it. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/29/21 9:50 a.m.

IIRC this is basically a rebadged Yanmar tractor.  I believe I have the Yanmar equivalent, a YM 186D, 18HP 4x4.  Tough little mother.  I did put teeth on the bucket and use it for some light excavating.  It will dig, but as Curtis pointed out it's not its strong suit.  It will happily lift the rear wheels in the air with too much weight in the bucket, at which point the front wheels are dragging you, tractor, and load around with the rear wheels turning for encouragement.  And that's with the rear tires filled with coolant.  I really need to find a set of rear wheel weights. 

I paid about 4k for my tractor, with just the bucket, and about 1000 hours on it and needing some repairs.  8k for all those goodies and all the work done is a solid deal. 

4/29/21 10:12 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

IIRC this is basically a rebadged Yanmar tractor.  I believe I have the Yanmar equivalent, a YM 186D, 18HP 4x4.  Tough little mother.  I did put teeth on the bucket and use it for some light excavating.  It will dig, but as Curtis pointed out it's not its strong suit.  It will happily lift the rear wheels in the air with too much weight in the bucket, at which point the front wheels are dragging you, tractor, and load around with the rear wheels turning for encouragement.  And that's with the rear tires filled with coolant.  I really need to find a set of rear wheel weights. 

I paid about 4k for my tractor, with just the bucket, and about 1000 hours on it and needing some repairs.  8k for all those goodies and all the work done is a solid deal. 

Yup, that would be the same.  I'll have to dig, but I think there are differences but I forget what they are.  Engine, frame, driveline should be the same, but I think the trans case is different based on where the levers and controls enter the case.

One thing I wish mine had was a live PTO.

Similar to your bucket lifting the rear wheels, I sometimes hook up a 6' brushhog to mine.  Works great when the 3-point is down, but when you lift it up, you're steering with the brakes.  I finally rigged up a steel crate that I bolted to the front that I could put rocks in.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/29/21 10:55 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

The fact that it comes with new tires is a huge bonus. Besides maybe an engine rebuild tires are the biggest expense you will have with a tractor like that, and they will age out before they wear out unless you spend a lot of time on pavement and concrete. Age out on tractor tires is like 30 years in the real world. 

I would call your insurance guy and let him know you have it and make sure its covered in case a catastrophe happens.

As far as the purchase price is concerned, as long as you keep it maintained and working it will probably always be worth what you paid for it. 

Tires were absolutely a huge bonus, one of the reasons we decided we could afford the maintenance.  It was still wearing the OE 30+ year old tires, it spent very little time on pavement.  I figured the big money things that could come up were engine/tires/pump.  I don't know how bad it is to R&R the pump on this tractor, but I've helped split a tractor to replace a pump in the past and while I could do it again, I'd rather not.

On insurance, do you get a separate policy on the tractor or are you just talking about being covered under home owners insurance?  My insurance guy runs a small farm and deals with lots of farmers so he can probably help me out, but he definitely likes to upsell to the max coverage you can get.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/29/21 1:27 p.m.

A little background novel for anyone who's interested (AKA bored at work on a Thursday afternoon, or recovering from your shot like me). 

After returning from WW2, SWMBOs Grandparents (MIL side) bought several thousand acres of land and started a tree farm.  Fast forward 50 years and most of that land was mature woods.  They had cleared and sold off many smaller (5+ acre) lots near the roads, and developed lanes through the woods to access the rest of the land, selling off many larger wooded lots as well.  While they had a number of other tractors and backhoes at their disposal, this tractor was purchased due to the small size and 4x4 to allow them to drag logs out of the woods in the dense, hilly areas of the land (Mohican area of Ohio, it's pretty hilly, atleast for Ohio).

Fast forward another 10 years and I start dating SWMBO.  I'm working at subway (high school job) learning the important life lesson that you don't want to work with the general public.  I finally get fed up with the BS from the bosses at subway and quit.

I worked at a truck wash for a while but couldn't get many hours unless I could work overnight, which I couldn't since it was still during the school year.  I made pretty good money doing day labor for farmers in the area, but most of those jobs are a couple weeks at most.

Summer break was coming and I'm trying to find something more full time without having to work overnights at the truck wash.  I had realized that while chuckin’ hay bales and milking cows is much harder and dirtier work, I'd rather do that than fast food/retail/bussing tables.  Not only did I have more of a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, the atmosphere was much less toxic.  Everyone just wanted to get the work done and have a good time doing it.

One evening I head down to hang out with SWMBO and while I’m nervously making small talk with my FIL I mention I think I have a job lined up at an apple farm for the summer.  It was only about 15 miles from home, but in the opposite direction from school (which was 35 miles away from home) so I’d probably have to quit come next school year.  I was especially bummed because it would limit how much I could see SWMBO over the summer given the hour + drive after work, but I didn’t mention that to him.

FIL asks “You can drive stick, right?” 

“Yup, our pickup is stick, and I’ve driven a few grain trucks that were stick.  Even drove a semi once, but I was at a gravel pit and I didn’t go very far”

“Ever run a chainsaw?” 

“Yup, we heat with wood so we cut and split 6+ cords a year” 

“Ever hurt yourself with the saw?”

“Nope”

“You’ve driven a tractor before, right?” 

“Yup, mostly dragging stuff around or moving hay or cow E36 M3.”

“If you want a job clearing land on the farm, it’s yours.  My friend’s son is also going to help out this summer, but he’s totally green so you’re going to have to do a lot of the skilled work while teaching him, but he’s a linebacker so you can make him do all the physical stuff.”

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/21 4:51 p.m.

Our house was THE farmhouse in Climax dating back 135 years. It's been in Kelly's family for 119 of it. Every farmer in the area swings by to talk about Gramps. Not Kelly's dad, not Kelly's dad's dad... 

The family has reduced the land from over 600 acres to 32. We own 4 and have rights to the other 28. 

Since our land is a Centennial farm we made certain that there was no issues with our having tractors and trailers in use on our property. Our John Deere has an under tractor mowing deck so it's considered a lawn and garden tractor. It also has a fork attachment for pulling 3UZ engines...

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/21 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

The demand for "pre-emissions tier" tractors is way up! I have a JD790 with the same 70 series loader. It would struggle to pickup a heaving bucket load. So-I shimmed the hydro pump. You can get an assorted shim kit from JD. I think my hydro pressure was at about 2100psi, I shimmed up towards 2850sh. Works alot better now. I also flipped the rear wheels to be wider, and filled with a water/antifreeze mix, really increased stability.

I dont have any experience with the 750, but if you start doing alot of 3-point work a top/tilt kit is definitely worth it. I worked on a ranch for about 3 years and would spend alot of time manually adjusting the tilt, or trying to achieve my slope without changing it, but man, so much nicer with hydraulics. 

The land-planes are the hot-ticket for driveway work. I rarely put on the box scraper anymore. Just drop the plane, forget about it, and go.

4/29/21 7:07 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:
gearheadmb said:

Tires were absolutely a huge bonus, one of the reasons we decided we could afford the maintenance.  It was still wearing the OE 30+ year old tires, it spent very little time on pavement.  I figured the big money things that could come up were engine/tires/pump.  I don't know how bad it is to R&R the pump on this tractor, but I've helped split a tractor to replace a pump in the past and while I could do it again, I'd rather not.

On insurance, do you get a separate policy on the tractor or are you just talking about being covered under home owners insurance?  My insurance guy runs a small farm and deals with lots of farmers so he can probably help me out, but he definitely likes to upsell to the max coverage you can get.

It depends on your property insurance company.  Mine tends to view things as sorta umbrella.  If I buy a tractor, I don't have to inform them.  If my garage burns down and kills the tractor, they will cover the tractor.  They have a sorta agreed-value number of X dollars.  "If you lost everything to an asteriod, would this number cover it all?"   They have a list of things that don't fall under normal coverage.  One of the things they don't automatically cover is A/V equipment that is outside the normal realm.  They'll cover my camcorder and my home theater, but not my drone unless I specifically add it.

My previous homeowner insurance company kinda wanted a rider on anything and also asked me for a complete inventory of everything of value in my home.

Long story short.... call them and ask.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/30/21 8:11 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

Yup, that would be the same.  I'll have to dig, but I think there are differences but I forget what they are.  Engine, frame, driveline should be the same, but I think the trans case is different based on where the levers and controls enter the case.

One thing I wish mine had was a live PTO.

Similar to your bucket lifting the rear wheels, I sometimes hook up a 6' brushhog to mine.  Works great when the 3-point is down, but when you lift it up, you're steering with the brakes.  I finally rigged up a steel crate that I bolted to the front that I could put rocks in.

The JD 750 is a gear drive tractor (4 gears and a hi-low range, I think, or something like that).  The JD 755 is the hydrostatic version, which is basically like any other hydrostatic tractor, infinite range forward and reverse.  My Yanmar, though, has this nifty little unit called a "Pow-R Shift" or something like that.  It's got 3 speeds, N and R on the colum with a little shift lever, and a 3 speed range box down in the transmission tunnel.  To change the range, you have to clutch and shift the range box, but to go between any of the 3 gears, N or R on the column you simply move the lever, and the "Pow-R Shift" automatically clutches as you change gears.  In practice, it helps to "dwell" for a half-second in 'N' when going between the forward and reverse gears, or the tractor will change directions very abruptly- like, whiplash-inducing abruptly.  I also tend to not change forward gears once under way, unless I'm going down hill or blip the throttle a little. 

It takes some getting used to, but I like it almost as much as a hydrostatic drive, and supposedly it's less lossy than hydrostatic since its still using gears to transfer power.  When the tractor is cold, it needs to warm up for a few minutes or the clutches will drag, but that's kinda good practice for an old diesel anyway. 

A 6' brushhog is a lot of mower for an 18-20 horse tractor.  I've looked at getting a hog for mine, and was thinking a 4' might be more appropriate.  But, I have an 18 horse Simplicity Garden tractor that I use for mowing duties, and it's one of the old ones with the fabricated decks, so it'll plow through just about any tall grasses or vegetation. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NB7iZ1pktZvoioQjXM2O9VqKI6ug1wbwHgs3wdp2V2p1GaGTCELSTS5FufykMJOS