jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/5/22 11:42 a.m.

We are looking at getting my oldest a smartwatch that can text, call, do music (Spotify?) and have tracking ability.  

They do not have a cell phone to pair it to so it needs to be standalone  

we drink the koolaid and have apple stuff but open to other options.  

can someone run me down what used/older/cheaper watches would work for the kid?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/5/22 11:46 a.m.

Are there smart watches that you can do all of that stuff on without a paired cell phone?  

I cannot imagine trying to do any of those things on a watch.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/5/22 11:55 a.m.

Why do you want all these functions on a watch instead of a smartphone? If you want calling functionality and gps, I expect you'd have to open a new line anyway, unless you expect them to be on wifi all the time.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 12:13 p.m.

To have non-Wifi streaming, tracking and texting you need a cell connection. Google something like "smartwatch LTE" and you'll see some options.

The latest Apple Watches can do it, looks like they start at $299 for a new one or $239 for a refurbished one. I would want to know what the battery life looks like when streaming, as there's not a lot of real estate inside a watch.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/22 1:37 p.m.

As others have said, you'll need it paired with a smart phone to get all that functionality out of a smart watch. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 1:47 p.m.

There are smartwatches that can do all of that alone, basically tiny Android phones with a wrist strap, example:

https://www.amazon.ca/JIEBA-Smartwatch-2-41-inch-Waterproof-Pedometer/dp/B09MH76J3B/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 1:50 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Unless the watch has an cellular connection, which is an option on Apple and Android units.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/5/22 2:25 p.m.

My wife has an Apple watch with cell connection and it works independently of any phone to text, call, and do tracking. She hasn't used Spotify but I'm sure it's capable. It's all voice to text so it's awkward at times, but it works.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/5/22 3:12 p.m.

Yeah, it would be a separate cell connection with its own number. 

we could do a phone but we don't want them to have a smart phone.  We have been using a dumb phone which has worked well but something attached to their wrist is attractive.  Which is why we are now looking since the dumb phone got lost 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/22 3:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Unless the watch has an cellular connection, which is an option on Apple and Android units.

Knowing how tedious it is to use my fancy galaxy watch for basic things, I can't imagine what a pain it would be to use a watch for all that. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/5/22 3:37 p.m.

It's just for a kid for limited use. 

I was hoping someone could tell me what generation watches to avoid and which ones can do it as it seems that older ones cannot. 

travellering
travellering HalfDork
12/5/22 5:41 p.m.

How old is the oldest?  Size is a factor, as the fully enabled smart watches are large beasts IME. .

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/5/22 6:35 p.m.

7th grade.   
maybe just another phone is the way to go, since they can take pictures too but still trying to figure out options

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/5/22 8:05 p.m.

Quick glance says you might consider the Galaxy Watch 5.   But the thing is large by huge.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/5/22 9:05 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I recently asked nearly the identical question and Gabb watch was recommended.

I have not purchased but might. 

Some other options

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/5/22 9:14 p.m.

I might be the last guy to buy one.  It seems everyone has one.

FWIW my dad bought his first microwave oven in the 2000's right after he signed up for touch tone phone service.  

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
12/6/22 7:44 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

7th grade.   

7th grade another phone is the way to go unless your goal is to also reduce their chances of a functioning social life in Jr high/high school.

Being able to stay in touch with and keep up with peers through school and sports is important, and part of that is attempting to keep up with the tech curve. Since their track record isn't great, I'd go for a relatively cheap used smart phone, but have them put some skin in the game. Yard work, chores, cash, just something to add to the feeling of responsibility

And if you do go smart phone, have a discussion about how many problems they can cause themselves by doing dumb things on it. But don't go for insane parental controls unless you are okay with them disliking you and eventually bypassing them anyways

Thats my 2c on it

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/6/22 8:30 a.m.

The answer your original question: Buy the newest Apple Watch you can afford.

But to really answer your original question: They probably need a cheap smartphone. Every single one of their peers will have one, and they're not going to be able to do group projects/sports/clubs/make friends/get a summer job/etc. without a real phone. Heck, I was in 7th grade in 2006 and needed a phone to effectively participate in after school math competitions.

I'm totally onboard with questioning whether or not that's a good thing for a teenager to be required to own and use, but that's the reality of modern life so you might as well teach them how to be successful with it. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/6/22 8:50 a.m.

None of my younger siblings had phones until they could drive and they all turned out ok. You don't need us to tell you how to parent. Apple watches are relatively small compared to some of the others. My dad has a Samsung he's owned for years and he likes it enough to wear it every day, though he uses it paired with his phone.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/6/22 11:33 a.m.

My kids are, knock on wood, turning out good.  While most/all of her friends have smart phones, she echoes the same disdain that I do when we see people glued to their phones.  

while she protested a little when she got a dumb phone, she hasn't said anything about that lately.  

and yeah, I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into these days where kids have phones (after all, I never did and I'm ok, right?? Haha).   But my kids are proving to be responsible and wise. 

I still won't just give them a smart phone at this age but a phone vs watch was the question and I was trying to figure out which watch I could get. 

we got the first phone ($100) and because she lost it, she will have to pay something but they had a promotional thing where they are giving away phones so it's not as clear cut as "we have to buy another one so you pay for it."  

but I digress into parenting techniques....

anyway, I decided to foreign the watch and just get another phone. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lLErTyzcPAKR3HnqKiZ8Lei3BUGhFzHIlITLHRxleK4eV0L8JBYlKSyajw3j7mio