1 2 3
alex
alex UberDork
2/28/10 10:00 p.m.

Yeah, I'm going there.

I'll admit it: I want a Dajiban.

But the suspension on these things looks expensive.

Anyway, isn't going the cheap/complicated route much more GRM than the easy/expensive way? And although it sort of pains me to say it, this thing probably won't see much track time, so I don't really need those snazzy coilovers anyway

So, does anybody know the suspension on these things? If you do, might you have any suggestions for lowering on the cheap? I'm guessing it's pretty basic in the back, but the front could be problematic. I figured I'd ask the braintrust here before I start crawling under random vans in parking lots.

Honestly, half the reason I want to do this (aside from looking terribly badass) is that the word 'dajiban' makes my girlfriend giggle consistently, and after 12 years, I need all the tricks I can get, dammit.

So, GRM, help me slam a van (and make my girlfriend laugh).

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/28/10 10:14 p.m.

I have been told, back in the day, that a Dodge van can be made to handle quite well. Don't know any details, but it has to be out there on the web somewhere. Good luck, I think it's a great idea.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
2/28/10 10:15 p.m.

I like them, but I am a bit strange too. I wonder what wheels those are (the ones that look like the Konig Rewinds)? I would do that same treatment to the GMC Suburban. Maybe I will photochop to get an idea if it would look cool

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/28/10 10:37 p.m.

Needs box flares and BIG tires.

alex
alex UberDork
3/1/10 12:07 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: I wonder what wheels those are (the ones that look like the Konig Rewinds)?

I believe the wheels are stupid-expensive custom Watanabes.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
3/1/10 5:53 a.m.

It looks like they're using those shocks to keep the rear from bottoming out. There are a lot of leafs missing from that spring pack.

alex
alex Dork
3/1/10 9:42 a.m.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of those as helpers. Unless maybe these shocks are doing the bulk of the work and the remains leaves are effectively doing the helping now.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/1/10 10:21 a.m.

Clearly, I am the only guy here this morning old enough to remember the Car and Driver Boss Van. That's what you're looking for, cwh.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/1/10 10:22 a.m.

Holy crap that gray one is awesome...

Joey

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/1/10 10:24 a.m.

Looks like the lone leaf mostly serves to locate the axle and the coilover is doing the bulk of the work.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/10 10:34 a.m.

Mmmm tasty orange van.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
3/1/10 10:50 a.m.

Where does the dajiban name come from?

Joey

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/1/10 10:52 a.m.

It's the Japanese word for those hunks of awesome, translated to "Dodge Van"

cghstang
cghstang Reader
3/1/10 11:08 a.m.

Deja Vu! http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/dropping-an-econoline-van/18175/page2/

alex
alex Dork
3/1/10 11:11 a.m.

cghstang: Yep. I figured the dajiban deserves a dedicated thread.

Stealthtercel: I only get search results for C&D's Boss Wagons. What's this boss van you speak of?

EvanB
3/1/10 11:17 a.m.

I'm interested in the answer to lowering these as well. Although I would probably look for a Ford E150 as they are easier to find for cheaper around here.

alex
alex Dork
3/1/10 11:25 a.m.

I thought about that. Likely easier to lower, too, since I think they're just F150s underneath.

But, I've resolved myself to not get an E-series until i can afford a nice SWB Econoline from '69-'74 with that snubnose and fantastic aluminum grille.

Although, if I could find an '80s shortbox E-line with a 300 I-6 and a 5 speed, that'd look pretty good in Ford Racin' Blue, dropped on AR mags...

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/1/10 11:58 a.m.

Where would the shifter come up? I think it might be a bit much to the rear.

alex
alex Dork
3/1/10 12:00 p.m.

I haven't seen one in person, but there's a 300/4spd on my local CL. Hadn't thought of that, though. Maybe you get a friend to ride in back and yell when you need a shift?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/1/10 12:05 p.m.

Hydraulic clutch and a wicked looooong shifter.

Drop spindles go for about $300. If you want to drop it "a little" I would whack some spring out of the front and flip the rear axle.

Dan

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
3/1/10 12:37 p.m.

Alex,

I haven't searched either (except my cranium) but it was yer basic Dodge van from the mid-seventies that received wider wheels and decent tires and not a lot else, but they were agreeably surprised by how it handled. It was kind of an offshoot of the famous Boss Wagon series (Plymouth, Olds, Volvo) but I don't THINK they used the "wagon" name. No doubt somebody out there can prove me wrong if necessary.

EDIT: OK, I searched: a 1971 Dodge Custom Sportsman van was "Boss Wagon III" but was renamed "Moon Trash II" in honour of Moon Mullins.

This link will get you to a relevant excerpt from a Brock Yates book.

alex
alex Dork
3/1/10 1:40 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Drop spindles go for about $300. If you want to drop it "a little" I would whack some spring out of the front and flip the rear axle.

Is my suspicion that those are same-year F150 parts correct?

EvanB
3/1/10 2:45 p.m.

You can get 16x8 Rota Grid off-road wheels in the Dodge bolt pattern (5x139.7)

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=21

EvanB
3/1/10 2:52 p.m.

So if you can use the F-150 parts to lower an E-150 would it be reasonable to assume you can use Dodge Ram parts to lower the Ramvan?

scardeal
scardeal Reader
3/1/10 3:13 p.m.

Okay, if I ever need to drive a van (which is probably quite likely), it's going to be something like this.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kOXkY4berfgVbaeQSRLMkh1Q50TAWiScPlPPAQ9JCU8UEGNqjsiLylwDV859cZw3