iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/10/22 11:11 a.m.

I've sporadically mentioned it in some dog themed threads on here before but a little over a year ago my forever pooch got cancer and I had to put her to sleep. Killed me. It was worse because mentally she was 100% there. She just couldn't walk or hold her bowels. Eventually I just saw too much pain in her eyes and had to call it. Okay. Enough tears.

Well my girlfriend has hinted for a little bit that maybe it's time to go find a stray to give a home. Her pooch is obviously lonely and I feel like a piece of me is missing without a doggo around. We went to the humane society on Saturday night an hour or so before close with the intention of just looking. Seeing what kind of dogs are out there.

https://komonews.com/news/local/pierce-county-animal-control-rescues-19-dogs-living-in-freezing-conditions

Evidently, there was a bit of an overcrowding because a E36 M3 hole was uncovered a few weeks ago during one of the worst snows we've seen in years. Animal control picked up 19 dogs, almost all puppies from a home nearby that left them all outside to freeze.

I immediately gravitated towards one dog and took her home in less than an hour. In a room full of barking, howling, crying dogs she was completely silent. Just staring. Wrapped in a cone of shame from the Spay procedure.

Meet Butter.

She's a red Siberian Husky that was named Alabama. I guess they named all the dogs that were recovered state names to easily identify them. She now goes by Butter. She's skittish and afraid and obviously used to the cold but even have they washed/groomed her I'm still picking sap and clumps from her undercoat.

I spent yesterday just making sure she was comfortable and could explore the new house. I may have to extend a section of fence because she was already testing it's height but we'll get to that. I know to make her happy I'm going to get a bit more active. With the gf's dog it was a walk every other day. I think we're going to bump that up to at least a walk a day, if not two. I can imagine when she gets comfortable around here she's going to need a lot of exercise!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/10/22 11:14 a.m.

Awesome!  Congrats.

Give her all the time you can, and take those walks.  You'll both be better for it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/22 11:20 a.m.

She looks sweet.  I'm sure her life will improve dramatically in your company.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/10/22 11:32 a.m.

Great looking new friend. Husky's have a ... unique ... personality's. Lots of walks , and lots of love to help both sides of a friendship laugh

iansane
1/10/22 11:44 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Ha. I ordered a GPS tracker and a set of new running shoes. I'm preparing for a rambunctious idiosyncratic meanderer.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
1/10/22 1:33 p.m.

She looks like a great dog.  Had a husky years ago and they are super sweet dogs but just a tad more 'wild' than most other breeds.   Does she howl like a wolf?   Ours could, but didn't do it very often.   

iansane
1/10/22 1:51 p.m.

No howls. Not even a bark yet. Heck, not even a 'harumph!'

Where I live, there are lots of police sirens. I am not looking forward to if she takes up howling. But if it happens, it happens. Let her sing!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/10/22 2:33 p.m.

And here I was expecting a cow... 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/22 2:59 p.m.

She is a pretty dog. Looks like a great companion. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/22 3:18 p.m.

She's beautiful!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/10/22 3:34 p.m.

Whatever you do, do NOT post your address...my 14 year old daughter will trek across the country from Atlanta to come steal your dog...LOL.  She's been bugging the crap out of my wife and I to get another dog, and she wants a husky.  We already have a 1 year old 65lb black lab girl, so I'm quite content.  My daughter also has 3 dogs at her mothers' home, so she has 4 dogs in her life.  

Congrats!!  She's absolutely beautiful!!!

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
1/10/22 3:35 p.m.

I can't believe it.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
1/10/22 11:08 p.m.
iansane said:

No howls. Not even a bark yet. Heck, not even a 'harumph!'

Where I live, there are lots of police sirens. I am not looking forward to if she takes up howling. But if it happens, it happens. Let her sing!

"I didn't get a harumph out of that guy!"

iansane
1/11/22 11:00 a.m.

Mel Brooks is my hero.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 11:03 a.m.

She's beautiful.  Get ready to stay busy. Our husky was a runner and great at getting over and under fences. 

iansane
1/11/22 11:21 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

She's beautiful.  Get ready to stay busy. Our husky was a runner and great at getting over and under fences. 

I can already see that curiosity peeking out. Whenever she sits and stares at the fence I just know she's debating whether she can leap over it.

I found out last night she's afraid of cars. Not riding in them. That's actually fine, she's great INSIDE a car and trips to home depot, the pet store, etc. But on her walk last night every time a car would pass she lay on the ground or cowered behind me or tried to jump in the bushes. Oof. Also, I'm thinking that since she was stuck in a cage for her first year of life she doesn't actually have the endurance yet. We walked to an outdoor restaurant last night that was about a mile away and she fell asleep when we got there. I'm sure it won't be long for her to outlast me, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vn1MKmri7MVUxwHtajWdrpKlEGw2U5BpdPuKUY8ZmRjMSTuuMqi7VMhtslYIryIt