volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/20/22 7:57 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/20/22 9:29 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/22 10:06 p.m.

As an Engineer, I love these engineer memes.

The Engineer - Meme by Furry84 :) Memedroid

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 10:17 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

As a do-good-math-man, I get irritated at these memes.  Its the bean counters at least as much as the engineers that limit what goes where and what sucks to work on. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/22 10:20 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Its 99% not the engineers in these situations.  Its the product design team/product ownership (which includes the bean counters).

But they are still fun memes.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/20/22 10:38 p.m.

Since we're piling on the engineers-

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/22 10:48 p.m.

These 14 Memes Are Welded In Such A Way That Mechanical Engineers Won't Be  Able To Control Their Laugh - RVCJ Media

Best 30+ Software Engineer fun on 9GAG

Engineering Memes | Mechanical Engineering Memes - Memes

10 security engineer memes hack into profession - Portfolio |  siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/22 11:05 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
1/20/22 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I am an engineer. Nothing pisses me off more than poor engineering. Blaming the bean counters or designers is a cop out.  If it's gonna suck, tell them you can't berkeleying do it. 

So yeah, I laugh at the engineer jokes. Because truth is funny sometimes. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/20/22 11:27 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 11:33 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/22 11:39 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I am an engineer. Nothing pisses me off more than poor engineering. Blaming the bean counters or designers is a cop out.  If it's gonna suck, tell them you can't berkeleying do it. 

You must work at an interesting company.  Every single product I have ever designed has had design compromises that were the result of meeting the needs of the product ownership team/whatever you want to call it.  Sometimes they are absolutely cringeworthy but there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm not saying poor engineering doesn't happen, it absolutely does.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/21/22 7:32 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/22 9:04 a.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/21/22 9:26 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
1/21/22 10:03 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

You must work at an interesting company.  Every single product I have ever designed has had design compromises that were the result of meeting the needs of the product ownership team/whatever you want to call it.  Sometimes they are absolutely cringeworthy but there is nothing you can do about it.

Nope, I work for a very aggressively normal company.  But I've also been "doing engineering" for 22 years, everything from a field service engineer, to sales, to design, to manufacturing, to consulting.  Learning where you can compromise and where you need to stand your ground is important.  Learning how to work with everyone so they respect your input when you tell them something's gonna suck, is important. 

Mrs. VCH and I go through this every time there's something that needs to be built, overhauled, or remodeled here at home.  She tells me what she wants, and I tell her why it's not feasible.  devil  In the end we come up with something that she can live with and that will work functionally. 

https://theawesomedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/engineering-memes-17-1.jpg

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/21/22 10:03 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/21/22 10:09 a.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/21/22 10:14 a.m.

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are asked to find the volume of a red rubber ball.

The mathemetician carefully measures the ball and puts his measurment into a formula, V = (4/3)πr^3.

The physicist gets a graduated cylinder, fills it with water, submerges the ball and measures how much fluid it displaces.

The engineer pulls out his Standard Red Rubber Ball Specifications card...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/21/22 10:22 a.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/21/22 10:22 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
ProDarwin said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Nope, I work for a very aggressively normal company.  But I've also been "doing engineering" for 22 years, everything from a field service engineer, to sales, to design, to manufacturing, to consulting.  Learning where you can compromise and where you need to stand your ground is important.  Learning how to work with everyone so they respect your input when you tell them something's gonna suck, is important. 

I'm with you there, but a lot of the time standing your ground simply doesn't work.  In the oil pan example I highly doubt any engineer was like "yeah, we are cool with this".  They probably said "this sucks" and the product owners/marketing/company/whatever said "tough E36 M3.  we aren't paying for new oil pan tooling or a different shaped swaybar or relocating x or y or z or any more engineering hours.  send it."

oops forgot meme

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/22 11:11 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

Since we're piling on the engineers-

LOL. Yes this is funny, but even more so than cars, this one is 100% on the bean counters and road load limits. As a resident of the great state of Michigan I live this every day. Cross over into Ontario and their roads see the same environmental conditions as we do but their roads are so much better. Same once you enter enemy territory and get south of Toledo, again their roads are much better. We cheap out on our roads and don't maintain them and this is somehow the Engineers fault. It's like getting an F150, putting two tons of gravel in the back and pulling a trailer, then driving 100k miles without changing the oil but blaming the Engineers for the engine eating itself. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 11:18 a.m.

1 ... 826 827 828 829 830 ... 1589

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jcfl7TCYhqsHDFOpxMyrjKdFdHL6fDuSXZnf2YEqk934Ht1olyASO2jKGNGTVRvO