1 ... 829 830 831 832 833 ... 1583
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 9:25 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
flat4_5spd said:

I feel lucky that they don't ask for a VIN like the dealership!

Having spent more years than I am proud of behind a dealership parts counter, I can tell you with all certainty that the VIN is an absolute necessity in an awful lot of cases, simply because some parts catalogs don't break vehicles down by description the way you and I do.  Examples and war stories if you want 'em.

Does not work for some manufacturers, though.  I had a 2002 Audi A8L that was manufactured with a heater box from MY2000.  And a couple years ago, I had a TT that needed the PCV hoses replaced and the parts shiny happy person at the Audi dealership was berating our service manager because THE PARTS BOOK IS CORRECT, THERE IS NO WAY THE CAR DOESN'T USE THESE PARTS.

I looked up the parts using the catalogs on Jim Ellis's website (which are OE catalogs) and we ordered them from a dealership 30 miles further away...

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/22 9:58 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Does not work for some manufacturers, though.  I had a 2002 Audi A8L that was manufactured with a heater box from MY2000.  And a couple years ago, I had a TT that needed the PCV hoses replaced and the parts shiny happy person at the Audi dealership was berating our service manager because THE PARTS BOOK IS CORRECT, THERE IS NO WAY THE CAR DOESN'T USE THESE PARTS.

I looked up the parts using the catalogs on Jim Ellis's website (which are OE catalogs) and we ordered them from a dealership 30 miles further away...

I think I'd rephrase that slightly to, "does not work flawlessly in every case". Catalog errors do exist, and humans are prone to both error and hubris.

That said, I'd still rather have a customer with a VIN and some basic knowledge. Beats the hell out of one with neither, slapping a greasy 30-year-old part on the counter and barking, "I need one of those!", with the genuine expectation that I either a) recognize it on sight, or b) run it in the back and compare it to every part on the shelf until I find a visual match.  We had customers who balked indignantly when we asked for any detail beyond "Toyota" and "four cylinder".  I ain't kidding you, some days were bell-to-bell misery.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/22 10:04 p.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 8:20 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/22 9:24 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/22 9:55 a.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/23/22 10:24 a.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/23/22 11:03 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/23/22 11:05 a.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/23/22 2:47 p.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/22 5:54 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/22 6:15 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/23/22 8:09 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/23/22 8:25 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think I'd rephrase that slightly to, "does not work flawlessly in every case". Catalog errors do exist, and humans are prone to both error and hubris.

That said, I'd still rather have a customer with a VIN and some basic knowledge. Beats the hell out of one with neither, slapping a greasy 30-year-old part on the counter and barking, "I need one of those!", with the genuine expectation that I either a) recognize it on sight, or b) run it in the back and compare it to every part on the shelf until I find a visual match.  We had customers who balked indignantly when we asked for any detail beyond "Toyota" and "four cylinder".  I ain't kidding you, some days were bell-to-bell misery.

I swear to god, there are so many people who don't know a thing about cars that their dad didn't teach them. And their dad's car knowledge stopped in 1982 so they really think there's only 4-5 different versions of each part on Earth.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/22 9:32 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/22 11:04 p.m.

Having to give a bunch of seemingly rando info to the parts guy isn't the worst thing in the world. Is it?

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/23/22 11:09 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/22 1:04 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I love you. I laughed for 5 minutes straight. And I'm laughing again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/22 1:24 a.m.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/24/22 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Every time I look at it I can't stop laughing.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/24/22 9:13 a.m.
Cooter said:

That's hilarious!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/24/22 9:35 a.m.
SV reX said:
Cooter said:

That's hilarious!

That actually looks like a pretty legitimate beginner hockey drill.  Not sure how many Moms would approve, though.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/24/22 9:41 a.m.
SV reX said:
Cooter said:

That's hilarious!

I've watched this too many times already.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/22 10:16 a.m.
Cooter said:

Perfect.  As a former school bus driver, this hit the spot.   Still laughing.

this 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/24/22 11:01 a.m.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'brainsand 12.99 Sygu 89g Egga omuii kidz bop cask of amontillado brieflyshadywolf i'm sorry but that caption had me wheezing for a good couple of minutes holy E36 M3'

1 ... 829 830 831 832 833 ... 1583

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HKyJG0dtDSHgKissdDgDfnICHiVk91A846YO4jZuivcTzZFvYobQpaB7Vn9leud4