1 2 3 4
Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
10/16/21 12:47 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

Professionally (meaning sprayed for weeds and seedlings spaced appropriately) replanted by VDOF in loblolly pine.  The 20 acres across the street is just natural reforestation, still mostly pine; I am curious to see how the two sites fare over the next 10-15 years in growth.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/16/21 3:13 p.m.

Loblollies are a blast. The key is proper triangulated spacing  for optimal root development while keeping them close enough for forest growth. These are almost 3 years old and a third of them are over 12'. Some will hit 18' next year and will be very wind tolerant.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/17/21 7:13 a.m.

This looks awesome. Does the forested land generate passive long term income?

Twenty extra acres makes the cost of the survey a lot easiest to swallow.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
11/18/21 9:34 p.m.

Had a meeting with Virginia Dept of Forestry today, we hiked the whole property and they are sending me a timber management plan.  They said overall the timber stand is in pretty good shape, and growing well.  I also have to submit the plan to the county to keep the land in rural preservation use, which lowers the taxes vs. just regular residential. 

Also, I bought a farm truck for building fences and hauling stuff.  It tops out at 52mph and when in 4Low it has a 73.6:1 gear reduction and is unstoppable offroad:

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
11/18/21 9:37 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

This looks awesome. Does the forested land generate passive long term income?

Twenty extra acres makes the cost of the survey a lot easiest to swallow.

Hopefully!  In theory it will, when the trees are ~12 years old the stand is thinned, and that generates a small amount of money, and around year 25-30 the trees should be worth decent money.  I also might experiment with some solar panels and try to get a small solar farm going. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/21 6:00 a.m.

Man, you are living the dream!  Nice.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
3/10/23 8:14 p.m.

I can't believe I skipped 2022 entirely with this thread.  I genuinely thought I bought this last October (5 months ago) apparently getting old (or working 7 days a week) is creating gaps in my memory.

Anyways, picking up where we left off, I am getting ready to put up a garage.  Started with a pretty basic drawing from Menards (they have a project calculator/designer that I now have a small crush on):

https://www.menards.com/main/buildings/c-834636628733788.htm

With a room above that may be an apartment or parts storage (depending on funds and long term plans):

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/23 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

This is reverent to my current situation as I'm buying some land next week for my dream build.  I think I've decided on 60 wide to give me just one door entering the shop with parking to each side.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
3/10/23 8:32 p.m.

Some of you are probably thinking, "What happened to the Metal Building!?!  That looks stick built!"

Well, I spoke to a couple builders as SVreX and others recommended, and the consensus was that a stick build is going to seal WAY better against critters (and weather, temps, etc).  And the quotes I got for (finished) metal building vs. stick were pretty close.  So that's where I ultimately went.  Only drawback is 36' limit for clear span, vs. basically infinite for metal buildings.  So I stretched it to 64' on the long axis to compensate. 

Hopefully I will have the final plans wrapped up next week (they're very different than above), and will share with you all then.

In the mean time, a driveway is starting to shape up:

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
3/10/23 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

We need photos!  Eventually, if enough of us do this maybe the GRMers can all buy a county or state somewhere and slowly assert control :P.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/10/23 10:18 p.m.

Where is it exactly? I've been looking for land north of Richmond.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
3/11/23 10:03 a.m.
yupididit said:

Where is it exactly? I've been looking for land north of Richmond.

Duke had asked as well on the first page, and I had posted the overhead plot shots.  I know that's not quite what either of you were asking for...

Kind of a tough call for me on this, because while I'd be happy to share with any of you Dorks, this forum is publicly viewable by anyone without an account, and I am a little leary of posting my personal info in a public place.  I hope folks can appreciate that.

As a compromise, and as some of you know first hand, I am happy to host/show members of the forum around IRL.  If anyone would like to see it, send me a PM with dates when you're down this way, I am happy to find time to meet up for a beer and to chat. 

yupididit
3/11/23 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

That's fair, I was curious about what county. I'll PM you though! 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/4/24 3:48 p.m.

Time for the once a year check-in haha.  Progress!  Plans changed yet again, I had an awesome garage with apartment above it all planned out, but the total cost was above what I was comfortable with at the moment.  So I elected to put up a pole barn on the 2nd best building site, and hopefully I can add the garage/apartment in a year or three.  Should be built and finished by March!:

Stampie
2/4/24 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

What's the size of the pole barn?  I see wood truss.  Was there a limit on span with them?

PS - Hasbro didn't post very often but when I see his post it makes me sad.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/4/24 7:09 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Flynlow :

What's the size of the pole barn?  I see wood truss.  Was there a limit on span with them?

PS - Hasbro didn't post very often but when I see his post it makes me sad.

40' x 64', that was part of the reason to go pole barn over the stick built I posted above, less restrictions on width...and with doors on the ends rather than sides, I can go 14'x14' and back in RVs and such.  My hope is this will be the "work" garage for welding, grinding, etc, and the eventual garage/apartment will be for the daily drivers, oil changes, car washes, etc. 

And yes. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/4/24 8:45 p.m.

Hasbro was a horticulturalist. When he said something about plants, you could absolutely believe him. 

His back porch and yard looked liked a full blown nursery. A really beautiful nursery. 

He was good people. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/4/24 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

The updates are great!  Keep it coming. 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/10/24 5:58 p.m.

Another benefit of pole barns, they go up quick!  Progress pics:

Stampie
2/10/24 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Very nice.  Joist every 4 feet with post every 8?

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/10/24 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yep.  I'm already getting in my own head a little (I get decision paralysis all the time).  For another $15-20K I could have made it 80' long, but for that money, I could have the stick built posted earlier in the thread (though unfinished).  There's no right answer, but there's a lot of awesome answers :). 

Stampie
2/10/24 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Can you get a picture of how the headers were done?  I understand the well I could have made it bigger thoughts. On mine I'm trying to limit the size so that I am limited in the amount of cars it allows me. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/10/24 8:15 p.m.

Mind sharing what the foundations are and a rough idea of the cost of your pole barn?

yupididit
2/11/24 6:59 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Glad to see you're still going. I'm still looking for land in that area. I have the money, I think lol, finding the land is still a task.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/11/24 11:15 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Mind sharing what the foundations are and a rough idea of the cost of your pole barn?

Sure, I used the following website, it'll give you a quote that's very close on materials:

https://www.diypolebarns.com/quote/

Where it falls short is the labor, their estimate is way off.  Figure 1.5-2x your materials quote to have the building put up and concrete laid, plus all the site work.

yupididit said:

In reply to Flynlow :

Glad to see you're still going. I'm still looking for land in that area. I have the money, I think lol, finding the land is still a task.

Please keep me in the loop!  Would love to have some GRM neighbors to enable project ideas and have some friendly faces in the area. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9k4xXQ9FLoQjBoZdc2uWfiaZheutGxoKq4qUPyiftZxLZxUGua02yEzUmfycxRH