Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/22 7:20 p.m.

I watched the first three episodes last night.  Enjoyed it.  I like the little girl they hired to play Leia.  Cheeky little thing.  Pretty close to exactly right, I'd say.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/5/22 7:31 p.m.

I'm enjoying it except for the chase scenes. Pretty cheesy, even by SW standards. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/5/22 7:54 p.m.

It got better with the third episode, but I'm ready to slap that kid.  I've already got three girls who won't do the basic E36 M3 they're told.  I don't need to also watch a TV show about it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/5/22 8:10 p.m.

Admittedly, I'm a bit annoyed by leia. I feel like they're leaning too hard into who Carrie Fisher was as a person, as a memorial or something. The rest of it I'm into. I also find it supremely funny that sun kang is in the series at all, given his full name in the fnf franchise. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/5/22 8:16 p.m.

I liked when she got abducted by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/22 8:47 p.m.

Leia was incredibly annoying, while I understand she's supposed to be headstrong for some reason Hollywood thinks headstrong=recklessly dumb. 

Other than that I'm enjoying it, but seriously.....the " I'm old and can't do anything, but soon I will be mighty" thing was really played out in Boba Fett, seeing it again is kinda stupid

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/6/22 12:10 a.m.

I must be super easy to please when it comes to SW. So far the only things I have had any issue with at all are the chase scenes. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/22 12:17 a.m.

The little girl is annoying. She seems to be 6 years old not 10. 

Other than that, I like it so far. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/22 9:17 a.m.

Last episode was released yesterday. I really enjoyed the series overall. The 4th episode sucked - or at least the writing did, if not the acting and overall plot - but the last two episodes finished strong, IMHO. Retconned a few continuity errors, I was personally happy enough with that. Beru and Owen - especially Owen - were really awesome. I also really liked that Ice-Cube clone playing Roken. 

Seeing a bunch of long-time SW fans reactions on Facebook, I'm reminded that nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans, and I'm glad that I never got into the universe until I was 30.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/22 9:51 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I've been in it since almost the beginning. But I haven't obsessed my way out of what its supposed to be: fun. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/23/22 10:20 a.m.
yupididit said:

The little girl is annoying. She seems to be 6 years old not 10. 

Other than that, I like it so far. 

Totally agree, they didnt get the age/maturity right for the stated 10 years old of the characters. Thats practically pre-teen! The actors were more early elementary in presentation.  

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 10:44 a.m.

Overall, the series was kind of uneven, but in my opinion, they really stuck the landing. The finale was pretty epic.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
6/23/22 10:46 a.m.

I liked it. I'm by no means a huge Star Wars nerd, but I am a fan. The local Star Wars toy collector group gave it good review on FB. If those guys are happy, then I'd say it was well done.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/23/22 11:12 a.m.

Overall, I thought it was pretty meh. 

This is, what, 10 years before we meet "old Ben" for the first time?  That makes Ben an awfully spry 60-year-old who ages pretty damned fast in the desert. 

And Luke doesn't remember him after being introduced?

What motivated the crazy lady to go murder a kid?  Because she was so traumatized from nearly being murdered as a kid?  And then a sudden change of heart?  The character development was a bit confusing and underwhelming there.

You're going to tell me that as a transport ship is getting away, Darth can grab one of them and crush it, but just stares at the second?  And then they have a whole star destroyer there which doesn't have a couple of squadrons of TIE fighters to engage the transport?  Or to, say, split up and go after that while the destroyer takes on the smaller ship?  And, seriously, how does that transport survive for that amount of time even if it's just a destroyer shooting at it?

I guess it's an interesting glue between movies, but I don't feel like it was a story that really needed to be told and if they really needed to tell it, they could have been a bit less lazy about it. 

I think Star Wars is turning into Disney's version of Law and Order or CSI or NCIS.  Just drape the trappings over whatever mediocre story and let the name carry it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/23/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to wae :

You really don't want to start questioning the logic of Star Wars spaceship battle plans at this point.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

No kidding... like how Obi Wan flew away from the planet after the last light saber battle.  Sure... maybe he could have got off the planet while the star destroyer was on the other side, but still... 

Forgetting basic military SOP is required when watching most sci-fi shows, but especially with Star Wars.

But otherwise, it was fun to watch. I enjoyed it. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/23/22 11:56 a.m.

I watched all 6 episodes, at first it felt like Mandolarian with Baby Yoda (Leia), then it centered back to what all the fans wanted which is Ben and Vader. I know they want a season 2, I was thinking one of the side characters could continue the story but they were so unpopular, and at the end of the day the thrill of Vader and Ben made this a great series. I started watching the animated Clone Wars to get more Ben and Annie.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/23/22 11:57 a.m.

Luke knew Ben prior to their meeting in ESB. Not super close - but you can tell from their interactions they ran into each other ever couple of a years. 

The whole transport chase thing was stupid.

The Kenobi/Vader final battle was also sorta shoe-horned in. 

One of the things that really bugs me about many of these stories is the don't tie into already existing canon in a way that feels meaningful.

For example - I'm almost certain Reva's saber is the one that Maul picks up before his final battle with Kenobi. 

The Ep.6 didn't give us any hints on what happens to Reva - but we do know that the Grand Inquisitor is still around - as is Jarus and Bridger. As is Thrawn. 

Lots gotta happen in 10 years. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/23/22 4:33 p.m.

Looking at my avatar and the fact that I'm a member of the 501st Legion with 5 current screen-accurate costumes, you can guess I enjoyed the show.

But I will say it wasn't perfect.  NONE of them are.  I kind of think they should have added some grey to Ben's beard though, he's got some serious aging to do in the next ten years.  Also I kinda liked that everyone thought it was going to be Ben creeping on the boy for 6 episodes & it turned into the Lil' Leia show instead.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/23/22 5:18 p.m.

I really enjoyed it. My wife didn't. She was sitting there picking apart every little thing and I can see why folks are complaining. Here's the thing. It's Star Wars. If you can turn off the critique and suspend your disbelief, you're not gonna have a good time. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 7:22 p.m.

I'll say this about Star Wars: however bad they blow everything else they always make Vader great to watch.

The fight scenes and general use of The Force by Vader were done very well imo

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/23/22 7:31 p.m.

Got through the last episode last night. 

I thought they'd finally killed off angry tantrum lady but they left it open for her to keep going.

I'm not a rabid fan so I need things explained to me. Why is it that in the original movie, when a Jedi dies (Obi-Wan, Yoda) they simply disappear but later on (earlier? its confusing), when anyone including Jedi die it's the normal hacked to bits or run through, slow, movie death.

Also, if Vader is strong enough to tear open the side of a spaceship, why does he bother to fight anyone at all? Seems like he could just chuck them into a star or open the side of their ship when it's in space and deal with everyone at once.

I like the original, mysterious, supreme badass Vader from the first three movies a lot better. He's way more menacing when all he does is choke someone with his mind. If he has the power to crush a starship then, oh well.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Obi-Wan and Yoda chose to be one with the force. They weren't killed. 

Its harder to violently use the force against other powerful force users. If you were to watch the Clone Wars series you'd kind of see some of the development that makes the Anakin to Vader transition really fun. Especially the scene where he says he killed Anakin himself with that creepy smile, releaving Obi-wan of the guilt and burden. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/23/22 11:53 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

...Forgetting basic military SOP is required when watching most sci-fi shows, but especially with Star Wars...

The "let's all stand in a mass in this cave and shoot at each other like it's the 1700s," and the super secret imperial base that somehow doesn't have any air defenses so two dinky speeders can fly in and surprise everyone stand out to me. I know it's Star Wars but... come on guys, try harder :P

I like kid Leia. Shows how she's a child prodigy tactician and diplomat. At least I think that's the intent.

I wish they gave Ewan McGregor more room to act. Seems like he's kind of in the background. I felt like the "Obi Wan reconnecting with the force" moment deserves more than stretching his arm out and making some strained faces as she fell.

Still fun though. I think Kenobi will always be one of my favorite characters.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJBJnXHisKyW5QKCFKDFWcstBWdhrBE9WMcWGobfM8t0XZ6a6eX1ZgfMeY5FcMWE