1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 ... 399
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/22 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Holy E36 M3 I remember those. They were TERRIBLE. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/24/22 10:19 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Since we are talking Legos.......I have never played with Legos at anytime in my life.

My brother is a mechanical engineer and he claims Legos were a big part of him going into this career - that's great.

The bad side - before specific Lego kits he had an old suitcase full of random Lego's.  We'd be watching TV and he'd be digging in the case looking for a specific piece being super noisy - STOP!

Darwinz
Darwinz New Reader
4/25/22 1:21 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Orla the kitten seems like she's continuing to improved, with the neuro symptoms becoming less pronounced, probably as she gets more groceries back into her and gains back some strength. 
 

She  is having to look  for friends since her sister is gone though.  We may take her to the house tomorrow and see how she fits in with the dog and cat there. 
 

Not shy about trying to make friends though. 

 

Dead wood duck both kittens were exposed to has been confirmed by state lab to have had avian flu. I wonder if my wife should get some bio-security continuing education credit for this whole episode. 

They are both adorable!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/25/22 5:15 p.m.

I'm thoroughly enjoying OK-boomering all the sycophantic Beatles fans on some random music page after FB threw this up on my feed:

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'Sorry for raising the bar too high'

The Beatles were good but they just weren't that great, and they broke up more than 50 years ago.  It's time for all the wistful boomers to get over it already.

 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/22 5:35 p.m.
Duke said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying OK-boomering all the sycophantic Beatles fans on some random music page after FB threw this up on my feed:

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'Sorry for raising the bar too high'

The Beatles were good but they just weren't that great, and they broke up more than 50 years ago.  It's time for all the wistful boomers to get over it already.

 

It's hard to really quantify what The Beatles did for modern music but as someone that isn't a huge fan......I agree.

I would say that they were great though, not just good. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is still a horrible song though

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/25/22 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I'm not convinced the beatles were great. They have a deep catalog,  but any of the stuff I can tolerate came at the very end. The rest of it sounds like formulaic boy band to me. Granted I am a horrible judge of music and nothing I say should be taken seriously, but I feel like the beatles were a lot like Nirvana with less heroin and Dave Grohl. right place, right time, right sound. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/25/22 6:38 p.m.

The Beatles were "great", in a historical way, but it took them quite a while before their music skills became even remotely good.  

My favourite way to piss off a Beatles fan is to compare the lyrics of "She loves me" with "Satisfaction".

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/25/22 6:43 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

You're missing out. It's very zen. 

When you build the exact thing you created in your mind, with only your thoughts as instructions, the experience Is very zen. These are words of a 43 year old man. The feeling was exactly the same when I  was 5.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/22 8:49 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

You're missing out. It's very zen. 

When you build the exact thing you created in your mind, with only your thoughts as instructions, the experience Is very zen. These are words of a 43 year old man. The feeling was exactly the same when I  was 5.

I totally get that because that's exactly what I do for a living.

 

Maybe that's why I don't get Legos?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/22 8:55 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Antihero :

I'm not convinced the beatles were great. They have a deep catalog,  but any of the stuff I can tolerate came at the very end. The rest of it sounds like formulaic boy band to me. Granted I am a horrible judge of music and nothing I say should be taken seriously, but I feel like the beatles were a lot like Nirvana with less heroin and Dave Grohl. right place, right time, right sound. 

I get that, I do, but remember none of the bands listed were around when they started. They were kinda the progenitors of modern music in a lot of ways. Pretty much the only songs I like by them are Still My Guitar Gently Weeps, Hide Your Love Away and Helter Skelter, Yesterday too to a certain extent.

 

It's like if you don't like the SBC. Even if you don't like it at all you can't deny it's place in history.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/25/22 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

There is no doubt the Beatles were a landmark band for their time. 
 

I still don't like them. I prefer the sounds and influences of the rock, blues and rockabilly artists of that time.

 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/22 10:37 p.m.

Every once in a while, I wear the Awesome Socks to bed... and I sleep like a baby.
 

Tonight is that night. 
 

Goodnight everybody!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I mean you're not wrong. "weeps" had a tendency to get stuck in my head, if only for the sick prince solo on that one ensemble band version. I'm gonna go watch it now, actually. Maybe I'm biased against the Beatles. Idk. I was brought up on it and I cannot stand it now, but in all truth that could be due to overexposure and overdramatic reactions, like nirvana was in the 90s or say.... Nickelback. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/26/22 10:52 a.m.

I'm honestly surprised it took 5 pages for the Elon Musk-Twitter thread to get banned. I looked at it on page 1 and figured it was a goner then.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/26/22 11:31 a.m.

My thoughts on the Beatles: They, the band, are overrated largely because they were so influential and popular, yet their music itself is underrated.

 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/26/22 12:08 p.m.

The Beatles got good after they got really really high. Sgt Peppers, white album. And even then, I don't think any of it was revolutionary in the way, say, Black Sabbath was. Or even the yardbirds (if only as a stepping stone for Jeff Beck, Clapton, Page...) My related confession: I can't stand Nirvana, and I don't think Dave has done anything musically relevant since 2003. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/22 12:21 p.m.

I prefer the early, bubblegum Beatles, if nothing else but for "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand," and "Sie Liebt Dich." I know its soft pop love songs, but sometimes I want soft pop love songs.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
4/26/22 5:30 p.m.

   I've come to the realization that by the time my schedule allows me to get back into any form of racing I'll be too old to be any good at it. 

 

Not sure what to do about it. This is either my second or third midlife crisis or one really big, prolonged, hellishly intense midlife crisis.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/22 6:21 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

The Beatles got good after they got really really high. Sgt Peppers, white album. And even then, I don't think any of it was revolutionary in the way, say, Black Sabbath was. Or even the yardbirds (if only as a stepping stone for Jeff Beck, Clapton, Page...) My related confession: I can't stand Nirvana, and I don't think Dave has done anything musically relevant since 2003. 

Black Sabbath is hugely underrated IMO. It's kinda hard to imagine but Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head and the album Black Sabbath came out weeks apart, that's a pretty big valley in music there.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/26/22 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Admittedly it was well before my time, but I can't think of anything remotely close to what Sabbath did on their first album in 1970. Maybe some Zeppelin stuff came close... Dazed and Confused comes to mind (and Page had reportedly been writing that back in his yardbird days). But that first Sabbath album is heavy even by today's standards. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 6:38 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

It is stark, and simple, and profound, and well-produced.

 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/22 6:38 p.m.

I've been watching disaster movies again. I may need to get out and touch some grass, because I am geeling a mighty bit paranoid right now. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/22 6:44 p.m.

Part 2- the movie I'm watching is called How it Ends. Forrest Whittaker is in it. At one point he says to...someone "I could look you in the eye...." could you, could you really? I feel like this is one of the few places that would get the irony in that. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/22 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/22 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

thank you. 

1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 ... 399
Our Preferred Partners
fJUS3gYkGw4xQwS4zh8d6A5JTJCykErbU51bUiTjOL43XAOXiKHAa32OmVaznW1Q