Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/23 11:39 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Don't fight it, its easier that way.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/3/23 4:02 p.m.

I have two. 
If you're an adult and you're wearing a backpack, especially to work, I have a difficult time taking you seriously. 

I love the way cars drive in really cold weather, and the colder it is the more I like it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/3/23 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

We had a -20dgF actual temp day a few years ago in Chicago and it was cool to gingerly drive my Silverado.  I know what you're talking about.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/3/23 4:30 p.m.

I haven't managed to get my E36 M3 together all day, and im ok with it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/3/23 4:49 p.m.
Peabody said:

If you're an adult and you're wearing a backpack, especially to work, I have a difficult time taking you seriously.

I don't commute to an office anymore, but I can't think of a single person at our main office who doesn't use a laptop backpack, at least below the top executive level.  Way more efficient than an old school laptop bag, keeps both hands freed up when carrying it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/23 6:14 p.m.
Peabody said:

I have two. 

I wish my laptop bag had two shoulder straps

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/3/23 7:29 p.m.

I got my QuickJacks in the mail like 2-3 weeks ago, and I haven't even had the time to unbox them. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/3/23 9:43 p.m.

Seriously thinking of purposely getting a thread nuked. I don't think I need to mention which. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/23 11:13 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

* curiosity intensifies *

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/4/23 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Not to worry, I don't take you seriously now anyway

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/4/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Oh I think most of the heavy lifting needed to make that a reality already happened overnight so no need to walk into that punch.  I’ll be surprised if it’s still around by this afternoon. 

I needed to replace the radio in the crappy Santa Fe I bought because listening to FM radio on my 80 mile per day commute wasn't cutting it.

After seeing the brand name, I couldn't NOT buy it cheeky

It's actually.... not bad. It's a cheap Chinese Android head unit. Android Auto works great. I replaced the 20 year old stock paper speakers with $30/pair Skar Audio 6.5s and it sounds decent. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/4/23 2:02 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Seriously thinking of purposely getting a thread nuked. I don't think I need to mention which. 

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, I'm surprised it got as far as it did. I saw the title, read like 3 posts, and filed it in the real estate thread category. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/4/23 6:10 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I've heard some surprisingly good things from the car audio YouTubers about that particular head unit. Probably makes your car faster, too. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/23 11:08 p.m.
wawazat said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Disturbing new evidence suggests that Leon Russell might have hooked up with one of my older sisters back in the 70s. .. sad

I read this and my mind changed Leon Russell to Leon Redbone.  Not sure if that's better or worse.

That was my other sister. sad

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/23 11:09 p.m.
Stampie said:

Disturbing new evidence suggests that Leon Russell might have hooked up with one of my older sisters back in the 70s. .. sad

Is the evidence a kid that looks a lot like him?  Guess that would be old evidence unless it was just recently noticed.

And now I can't stop picturing a baby that looks like Leon Redbone. 

Which would be awesome. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/23 2:26 p.m.
Peabody said:

I'll expand that to include women wearing a tiny backpack in lieu of a purse. It looks out of place and deliberately infantile - especially when the woman in question is, uh, not tiny.

That said, backpack acceptability depends on the job and the person doing it. At our engineering firm, our commissioning team wears backpacks when they go on a site visit, and so do many members of our design team. It's the right tool for the job when you're dragging your gear all over a building or construction site. Fortunately, we are taken seriously based on the quality of our work, not our alignment to society's perception of acceptable "professional" dress code. Horses for courses.

Minor confession: Saturday is my day to keep the kid (who is three and a half) out of Mrs. Monohue's hair, and I'm having a hard time dealing with his relentless need for engagement at every single moment. He's at a stage where he just can't let a minute go by without interrupting a conversation or demanding something or making a fuss about what we're doing or where we're going or any damn thing he can think of. He must be at the center of all things. He must be the one who turns the light on or measures my coffee grounds out or chooses his meal or zips up his jammies or opens the door or decides which aisle we go down at the grocery store or which direction we go down it. He must NOT be the one who gets the aforementioned jammies started so he can zip or picks up his 150+ Hot Wheels cars or places his giant stuffed frog in the bed just so or pulls up his own blankets. Most of all, he must be the decider. It's a hell of a lot of work not to strangle him.

I guess the confession is that, every week, I almost strangle a preschooler. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/5/23 2:55 p.m.

I don't love the acr anymore, but dread selling it. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/5/23 3:10 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

To clarify, I'm really referring to adults wearing something that looks like it belongs on the back of a 14 year old boy on his way to school. I've seen engineers do it, and saw my boss do it last Friday. 

But hey, if you want to wear your purse on your back, more power to you

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/5/23 3:13 p.m.
Peabody said:

To clarify, I'm mostly referring to adults wearing something that looks like it belongs on the back of a 14 year old boy on his way to school. I've seen engineers do it, and saw my boss do it last Friday. 

You can justify however you want cheeky

My laptop backpack has a bottle opener built into it.  Not sure if that makes it a 14 year-old's backpack or not.

DarkMonohue
2/5/23 3:46 p.m.
Peabody said:

To clarify, I'm really referring to adults wearing something that looks like it belongs on the back of a 14 year old boy on his way to school. I've seen engineers do it, and saw my boss do it last Friday. 

But hey, if you want to wear your purse on your back, more power to you

Might be a matter of context here. Our commissioning guys typically use pretty heavy duty industrial packs (Custom LeatherCraft, IIRC) and design staff usually use their own outdoor (North Face, etc.) packs in reasonably conservative colors and patterns. We tend to keep the Bedazzling to a minimum.

I don't need to carry that much stuff on site visits, so I usually just bring an old Polish Army bread bag with my lunch, sunglasses, flashlight, boo-boo kit, etc., and leave it in the car. It's my lunchbox as much as anything. Whether it's a murse or not is up to you.

I guess another post warrants another minor confession. I can't be bothered to keep my garage clean, and today's going to be a bad damned day if I can't find the small engine fuel line I bought a few months ago.

wawazat said:

I read this and my mind changed Leon Russell to Leon Redbone.  Not sure if that's better or worse.

That was my other sister. sad

Flash back a couple (?) decades to young Woody asking his dad the difference between theory and practice.

Woody: hey Dad, what's the difference between theory and practice?

Woody's Dad: Go ask sister1 if she'd berkeley Leon Russell for $1000.

Woody scampers off and returns to answer in the affirmative.

Woody's Dad: Go ask sister2 if she'd berkeley Leon Redbone for $1000.

Woody scampers off and returns to once again answer in the affirmative.

Woody's Dad: in theory, your sisters are sitting on two grand. In practice, your sisters are whores.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/23 4:33 p.m.

Mine's 7.5 and still acts like that. Even worse if she has the inkling of a cold or allergies acting up. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/5/23 4:42 p.m.
RevRico said:

Even worse if she has the inkling of allergies acting up. 

Two things messed up my girl and 1/2 the time we forgot.

1. Have you eaten today? No - eat something then we can talk. (Usually the teen years)
  2. Always take your allergy medicines or she gets unhappy then crabby.
DarkMonohue
2/5/23 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Yeah, absolutely. With the little guy it's pretty evident when he's just hangry, but less obvious when we are hangry and losing our patience. 

1 ... 410 411 412 413 414 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xbgcgjR6bb4Nm2HzwbL3vzpQf2ba9mp5HL7B4X5TZlCBzfJv2akE5UoZzOO8iQhh