1 ... 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 ... 1928
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/10/22 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

We bought a new 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4X2 from a friend of ours that was the sales manager in Naperville, Illinois.

Showed up at 6:30pm with our 1 year old on a Friday night, pick it out and don't haggle as it was under the GM employee plan.  I suggest I leave a deposit; you'all get it ready along with paperwork and we'll come back on Saturday.  No, no, no, no - this will take no time at all they tell me.

Somewhere at 9:30pm my daughter threw up in the finance managers office.   Clowns.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 1:37 p.m.
APEowner said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Secondary rant: I wish that I would learn to either not try and print more than one thing at once on the 3D printer or that I had a way to on-the-fly tell it to stop printing one part and just finish the others, because it seems like invariably when I print more than one thing at once one thing will mess up and either have to stop and restart the print or hope that the one messed up part doesn't ruin the other(s).

If you're using Octoprint (and you should be) there's a plug in for that.

I am not at the moment... I haven't wanted to spend the extra couple hundred for the Pi setup to run it completely remotely and haven't gone through the process of installing it on my iMac yet either. I suppose I should at some point- since the printer sits within reasonable cable length of the iMac (literally right next to it) it would be easy enough to hook it up directly to it. It looks like I got lucky with this print- it was a large, flat print (LEGO ruler) and I was able to press the edge that came up down enough for it to print the layers above well enough for things to keep going. I'll likely just end up keeping that particular ruler for myself and give the one I printed out earlier as a Christmas present instead.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/22 1:40 p.m.

Why would a color PDF being sent to a color printer print in monochrome by default?

And why would you bury that setting 3 or 4 dialog boxes down, in one of multiple different places you can can adjust print settings?

Because Microsoft + Adobe = INTERFACE HELL

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/10/22 1:45 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I berkeleying hate Microsoft Teams.

Despite that being our default communication tool, my workplace still has Zoom, probably due to how crappy of a job Teams does with meetings.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/10/22 3:30 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, my boss is obsessed with it.indecision

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/22 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

For me they need to fix 2 things and it is a better platform:

1- Annotation, come on it is such a useful tool in facilitating discussions. Add it.

2- Call from a phone: I don't need it but there are a lot of people that can't grasp the concept of using their computer for audio, most of them are above me in the food chain. You need to give people an option to call the meeting instead of online only.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/22 4:02 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Rodan :

For me they need to fix 2 things and it is a better platform:

1- Annotation, come on it is such a useful tool in facilitating discussions. Add it.

2- Call from a phone: I don't need it but there are a lot of people that can't grasp the concept of using their computer for audio, most of them are above me in the food chain. You need to give people an option to call the meeting instead of online only.

I agree on the annotation but if you don't have the call in option it's because your IT folks didn't configure it or management wasn't willing to pay for it.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Fair enough. I work for a very large corporation so I have no say and that is just what I see. The executives that would have to decide to pay for it are the ones that insist on Zoom so they can use their phones.

Mndsm said:

To all the investment conglomerates buying up all the houses in Florida and making it impossible for me to purchase a home to live in, I hope all of your children get lice. Like, a lot of it. 

I'm living this hell right now. I wanted to get out of my rental because my landlord was raising my rent by almost 25% when my lease was set to renew in Dec. I got pre-approved for a decent amount but the market is so competitive right now with a dwindling supply and high demand that I gave up trying to find a decent house. I'd find a house that I liked, send it to my agent to request a viewing but it would be off market the next day. $200k houses are now $400k houses and prospective buyers start bidding wars so the house goes waaaay over what it is appraised at.

I pretty much gave up and renewed my lease for another year but only after negotiating the rent increase down to only a 20% increase. My rent right now is exactly 40% of my monthly net income.

That's why I'm pretty much set on breaking my lease and moving in with the GF. Its risky but I'll be saving $2k a month in rent and $350 a month in utilities. I'll have to sell all my vehicles and go back to one but that will save me an additional $1k a month in insurance and car payment.

Good thing I received a 2% pay increase this year to offset the ~8% inflation indecision

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/10/22 4:17 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I'm strongly considering buying a slice of land, having utilities run, and making some sort of dystopian rv compound. Circle the wagons and E36 M3. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/10/22 4:24 p.m.

One of two things will happen. 1. The market will crash. 2. The market won't crash and this is how much it's gonna cost.  Neither are good things. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/10/22 4:41 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
93EXCivic said:

Despite that being our default communication tool, my workplace still has Zoom, probably due to how crappy of a job Teams does with meetings.

Honestly I haven't had to many problems with meetings on it. It is more the management of files.

APEowner
5/10/22 5:34 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to APEowner :

Fair enough. I work for a very large corporation so I have no say and that is just what I see. The executives that would have to decide to pay for it are the ones that insist on Zoom so they can use their phones.

That may make it even more annoying than if Microsoft didn't have the option!

Mndsm said:

I'm strongly considering buying a slice of land, having utilities run, and making some sort of dystopian rv compound. Circle the wagons and E36 M3. 

Dude, I had the EXACT SAME IDEA.

Step 1: Buy a cheap plot of land.

Step 2: Buy an RV, run utilities and build a lean-to.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit! (Or at the very least not go bankrupt trying to berkeleying survive)

I'd totally be down for a GRM-style dystopian compound.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/10/22 5:51 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:
Mndsm said:

Dude, I had the EXACT SAME IDEA.

Step 1: Buy a cheap plot of land.

You may run into the same problem as buying a home.

An acre of land is going for well over half a mil here right now, not a lot less than some of the local homes.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 6:01 p.m.
APEowner said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Secondary rant: I wish that I would learn to either not try and print more than one thing at once on the 3D printer or that I had a way to on-the-fly tell it to stop printing one part and just finish the others, because it seems like invariably when I print more than one thing at once one thing will mess up and either have to stop and restart the print or hope that the one messed up part doesn't ruin the other(s).

So it's been a slow day with lots of waiting for things to run, so I had the time to look into and install OctoPrint on the iMac (half the trouble was finding a USB-C cable with small enough connector to fit properly into the narrow opening the Ender S1 has). I am definitely not going to regret this- I installed the 'cancel object' plugin and though I haven't had to use it yet it looks like it will be very useful. The visualization of the print is nice to have too- as is not having to swap SD cards between the computer and printer. Once I get the camera mount set up a bit better I'll probably play with the timelapse as well.

APEowner
5/10/22 6:10 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
APEowner said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

So it's been a slow day with lots of waiting for things to run, so I had the time to look into and install OctoPrint on the iMac (half the trouble was finding a USB-C cable with small enough connector to fit properly into the narrow opening the Ender S1 has). I am definitely not going to regret this- I installed the 'cancel object' plugin and though I haven't had to use it yet it looks like it will be very useful. The visualization of the print is nice to have too- as is not having to swap SD cards between the computer and printer. Once I get the camera mount set up a bit better I'll probably play with the timelapse as well.

Awsome!  I'm glad you're finding it as usefull as I have.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/22 8:09 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:
Mndsm said:

To all the investment conglomerates buying up all the houses in Florida and making it impossible for me to purchase a home to live in, I hope all of your children get lice. Like, a lot of it. 

I'm living this hell right now. I wanted to get out of my rental because my landlord was raising my rent by almost 25% when my lease was set to renew in Dec. I got pre-approved for a decent amount but the market is so competitive right now with a dwindling supply and high demand that I gave up trying to find a decent house. I'd find a house that I liked, send it to my agent to request a viewing but it would be off market the next day. $200k houses are now $400k houses and prospective buyers start bidding wars so the house goes waaaay over what it is appraised at.

I pretty much gave up and renewed my lease for another year but only after negotiating the rent increase down to only a 20% increase. My rent right now is exactly 40% of my monthly net income.

That's why I'm pretty much set on breaking my lease and moving in with the GF. Its risky but I'll be saving $2k a month in rent and $350 a month in utilities. I'll have to sell all my vehicles and go back to one but that will save me an additional $1k a month in insurance and car payment.

Good thing I received a 2% pay increase this year to offset the ~8% inflation indecision

3 years ago you could buy an acre of land here for roughly 4k. It would have nothing on it, and you could give half that if it was ugly 

Now it's about 50k

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/10/22 10:05 p.m.

It's been a long 3 months. Tons of positive things happening, but still feels like it's been a long time

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/22 12:52 a.m.

Ok, that's enough of the heat. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/22 1:12 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Hey, remember 70 degrees Farenheit? Appleseed remembers. He also remembers less than a week ago it was 45 out. Jesus berkeley.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/22 1:16 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Hey, remember 70 degrees Farenheit? Appleseed remembers. He also remembers less than a week ago it was 45 out. Jesus berkeley.

I would rather have the 45. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/22 6:15 a.m.

Canoe

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/11/22 6:22 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

They want to use the phone? The whole point of Teams is for me to use a headset hands free and continue to work while inane bullE36 M3 is being discussed.  Otherwise, I would have to work 16 hours a day to actually accomplish anything. There's a rant in there somewhere. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/11/22 6:59 a.m.

In reply to tester (Forum Supporter) :

If I need to be mobile, I absolutely prefer the phone.  WebEx, teams, and zoom all act super-weird with Android Auto for me when they use their own IP transport for voice.  Sometimes they won't use the car's speakers and mic at all.  When they will use them, any notification at all will immediately shift the audio from Bluetooth back to my phone and there is no way to get it to move back.

Apparently, even if your organization pays for dial-in capability it has to be enabled specifically by the meeting organizer.  About 25% of the Teams meetings that I get invited to have no option for that, but most of them do.  And that's all from the same org.

1 ... 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wabUvvBGi5WkYe4dhup4YZCrXKAbbFsU0xc6LAoUKYI04X4ncYMuvM8lA06AzS4L