1 ... 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 ... 1927
NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/13/22 6:24 p.m.
Rodan said:

Not really a *minor* rant at this point.  Cheapest diesel in our area.  And only a bit more than 1/2 tank...

Hell, it's $6.49 a gallon here for diesel. I paid $5.43 a gallon for premium for the Miata today, which hurt. That thing is pretty much restricted to the garage unless going racing currently

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/22 3:31 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Five months between when we lost our cat Linus, and our other cat Lucy gets diagnosed with pancreatitis.  Generally, she's been the healthy one, but she is almost 17 years old.  I really hope this is just a blip for her, as she deserves as good of a life as possible after having to put up with her brother for so long.

Hopefully she gets better soon!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/14/22 4:16 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
stafford1500 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I cannot find rustoleum tractor paint in Ford grey anywhere. Apparently its galacticly out of stock. And i need it for the stock car frame.

Sounds like you need to buy a quart of white and a pint of black and roll your own...

It's a smidge darker, but would Rustoleum Professional Light Machine Gray work?  It should also have some UV protection to it.

Found what may be the last gallon of light machine grey on the east coast in the hardware store in Oakboro today. 

So, chassis will be a little darker than i wanted, but im ok with it. 

The rant? A gallon was $53!!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I was looking at $89 for a can of weld through primer. 12oz spray can.

Rant: trying to build structural integrity into the Mini is giving me stress.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/14/22 5:12 p.m.

I keep asking Past Me where he set the light down so I can go back to welding but he never answers.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/14/22 5:51 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I keep asking Past Me where he set the light down so I can go back to welding but he never answers.

Have you tried asking Future You where he found it instead?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/14/22 6:05 p.m.

Got the new used cub today. I've spent more time working on it than using it and my yard still isn't cut. 

berkeleying fuel issues. berkeley with the fuel line and it works, for two minutes, then dies. Rinse and repeat.

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/14/22 6:17 p.m.
NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Have you tried asking Future You where he found it instead?

Even better. I said okay, let's retrace our steps.  Walked to the back of the Mini, rested my hands on the rear bumper, and found it under my left hand.

And it was still on.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/22 6:29 p.m.

Well, wonderful. I had found some rotted trim boards on a bay window in the shop. Then today I was in there while it was raining and heard the telltale sound of splashing water. Yup, the plugged gutters - which I just cleaned a month or so ago - were overflowing onto the bay window which is why the fascia was rotted. And why there was now water running into the shop. Gonna have to rip the whole bay unit out. Ugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/22 6:44 p.m.

If Dazed and Confused was released today it would take place in 2005.....

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/14/22 10:52 p.m.
The_Jed said:

I'm working toward taking a pay cut and losing a pension in the interest of preserving/repairing my mental health and actually living to retirement age. For my caste this also means the first 90 days I work at the new job I will be classified as "supplemental" with no health insurance, etc. until my probationary period passes.

I'm looking forward to working with my hands again but, berkeley I'm sick of starting over at the bottom of the heap.

I guess they must have picked up on my motivation/desperation to leave my current E36 M3 hole and pulled the old bait and switch and tried to get me to accept an even lower tier, entry-level job chipping out engine blocks or some stupid E36 M3.

I'm not some kid fresh out of high school, I've been a diesel mechanic and a certified journeyman machinist for six years (12 years total in the trade) I have actual berkeleying knowledge and skills despite my lack of a college degree.

Scumbags.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/14/22 11:51 p.m.

Its 95+ and 20% humidity. I have such a headache from the temp and pressure swing. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/22 1:02 a.m.
NickD said:
Rodan said:

Not really a *minor* rant at this point.  Cheapest diesel in our area.  And only a bit more than 1/2 tank...

Hell, it's $6.49 a gallon here for diesel. I paid $5.43 a gallon for premium for the Miata today, which hurt. That thing is pretty much restricted to the garage unless going racing currently

last time I filled the Disco, it was $5.20 a gallon and took 20 gallons.  On a good day, I will get 13 miles for each one of them

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/15/22 10:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Mndsm said:
Ranger50 said:

<sarcasm><rant>

Homelessness rocks.

</sarcasm></rant>

You good? That doesn't sound good. 

I've been homeless   It does not,  in fact, rock.  I feel for you. Can we help?

It's ok. Just a E36 M3show right now. Long story short: rental house got sold, given 30 days to leave, offered on a home, deal fell through last minute because of money hungry realtors, and living on credit in a hotel until school is out.

Been out of contract work since coming home from Florida in March. New contract starts in eastern NC Wednesday. Shipping the kids, ex-mil, and ex to my dads house in Michigan for the interim. I have two pods, a 10x15 storage unit, and used a 6x12 uhaul trailer to move it all because of dementia... and still left behind many items I wanted to save.

Oh well.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/22 1:04 p.m.

Wiring done. Hooked up the battery, filled all the fluids, primed the oil pump, turned the key...

And the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. 

Not sure I can get to the starter without raising the engine.

berkeley....

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/22 2:38 p.m.

The weather is sucking a lot, low 30s in the morning and last year we were already in the 90s. Both extremes suck, give me some nice 70 degree days.

I'm more busy at work than I want too, but the remodel keeps adding more and more and running into my other scheduled jobs. 

Toyman!
5/15/22 6:12 p.m.

As a matter of fact, the engine did have to come back out. 

sad

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 Reader
5/15/22 9:37 p.m.

Life is expensive. 

Been on my own 9 months now, left nearly all housing related items behind so my little ones wouldn't have their house changing while everything else was. Started from scratch in an apartment with all my projects squirreled away with my parents.

You would think working a professional career living in a 1 bedroom apartment things would be easier. But on the bright side, we have what we need and get to have fun in other ways. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/16/22 7:31 a.m.

This is a very first world problem sort of rant but it still irks.  Our current venue for local autocross has some REALLY poorly laid asphalt.   It was laid out in strips that cause catastrophic bumps when crossing perpendicular to the lay out.   Literally the worst I've ever seen.

The problem with this is that a high powered, lightweight car does the worst over such bumps.   So in the Zoomboni, a vehicle where I set FTD at the Challenge and have had FTD at other venues around (i.e. flat sites) the best I could manage yesterday was 30th of 90.  Half the cars that beat me were street class.

Frustrating, I want our old venue back.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/16/22 8:36 a.m.
Toyman! said:

As a matter of fact, the engine did have to come back out. 

sad

Is there anything you can change to make starter removal easier in the future?

Of course, then you would never have to remove the starter...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/16/22 8:42 a.m.
Antihero said:

The weather is sucking a lot, low 30s in the morning and last year we were already in the 90s. Both extremes suck, give me some nice 70 degree days.

Opposite. It was 30 here yesterday, and close to that all weekend. In Celsius. That's far too hot for this time of year. It's a much more comfortable 13C this morning

Toyman!
5/16/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Unfortunately, not really. I could have pulled the starboard manifold, and the transmission cooler and maybe squeaked it out if I had an extra elbow in my arm. If I didn't have a gantry crane with an electric hoist, that's probably what I would have ended up doing.

As it is, pulling the engine is just faster. It's 4 flange bolts on the prop shaft, 8 lags that hold the engine mounts to the engine bed, and two 3" exhaust hoses. There is enough movement in everything else that I can lift the engine 12-14 inches. It takes about 30 minutes to have it hanging high enough to get to the starter. Probably only an hour and a half from start to finish. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/22 2:55 p.m.

Ugh... the Infiniti's starter is starting to act up more frequently lately, I'm guessing that it's about time for (what I'm assuming is) the damaged flywheel/flexplate to eat another starter pinion. I just have to hope that this time (will be the leap ho... sorry, wrong train of thought) won't be the time when not only does the starter die but it damages the flywheel/flexplate to the point that I have to pull the engine and replace it. At which point I have to start deciding whether it's worth the time and effort to do on the 20-year-old SUV or if I should be looking at something newer and less troublesome... though realistically most things too much newer aren't made to carry as much as the old Pathfinder/QX4s were unless you step up to a solidly larger platform. I wish I could know what would happen before it fails because if it's going to just kill the starter I also should replace the struts and sway bar links.

Also, this Reese's 'Snack Bar' is an abomination. It tastes essentially nothing like anything Reese's-related, and I've had many, many granola bars that tasted far better.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/22 8:47 p.m.

I have had an increasingly weird day concluding with having to tell off a potential client because he sent me a screenshot of me saying I could meet Monday , by saying that it was actually he who said that.

It's weirder than it sounds too I was like ...um.....that's me saying that and you telling me you'd have to confirm that Monday would work. I know how text trees work, what in the actual berkeley?!? Of course when called out he couldn't handle it so.....yeah.....

Admittedly I love when stupid shows it's hand before money changes hands and I already didn't like the guy

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/16/22 10:52 p.m.

Just to complain: I'm tired, lately. Been doing all the laundry and 95% of dishes for the last few months, I'm still the only one who takes the dog on walks, and I do the hard parts of every morning with our daughter.

It will balance out again in time, but with the new role at work being busier/including international/evening work, it's just been tiring to maintain

1 ... 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xChom32EeVn69dbCUEO9BvCwB6YqRNPUSmPe4MBvRdSHmDwmPqgzJ5cVvz07O4xG