1 ... 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 ... 1620
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/25/22 3:04 p.m.
Duke said:
Beer Baron said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm leaning in the direction of something like, "I'm looking for more growth than what I'm getting here." Then if pressed can explain, "When I came on board, the plan was to expand to be a regional player. It's been five years and that hasn't happened. I make good beer, but other components needed to grow the company are just not in place."

I think that's good. I don't think I'd make it too much about money.

It is and isn't about the money. The money is a metric. A company that can't afford to pay its key employees raises isn't doing well. I want to work for a company that is healthy and growing.

The biggest part is the lack of plan on how to get the company growing and healthy enough to be able to pay raises. If I saw an actual plan on how to get the company healthy with measurable, time specific objectives and personal accountability, I wouldn't be looking to leave.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/25/22 4:06 p.m.

It is and isn't about the money. The money is a metric. A company that can't afford to pay its key employees raises isn't doing well. I want to work for a company that is healthy and growing.

Nailed it

What a prospective employer doesn't want to hear is, I know how to run the company better than my boss/owner but he won't listen to me.

Even if it is the truth.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/25/22 4:21 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Duke said:
Beer Baron said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm leaning in the direction of something like, "I'm looking for more growth than what I'm getting here." Then if pressed can explain, "When I came on board, the plan was to expand to be a regional player. It's been five years and that hasn't happened. I make good beer, but other components needed to grow the company are just not in place."

I think that's good. I don't think I'd make it too much about money.

It is and isn't about the money. The money is a metric.

I totally get that from your point of view.  I do not think that is how an interviewer would interpret that answer.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/22 7:45 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/25/22 9:34 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Is this at all a situation where you can discuss the problems with the owner before deciding to leave, or is that unlikely to have any positive effect?

Going to have a phone conversation with him tomorrow. (He's "too busy with kids stuff" to come in for more than 1 day this week.)

I think I'll open with the slightly manipulative question of "Is our relationship as friends more important? Or as employer and employee?"

Think I'll then ask him to do me the favor of opening the dialogue directly between me and the owner of [another business] who has scoped out a site to start a new concept. If I have him make the suggestion that I'm the person who knows about brewing, and operations, and developing a product portfolio, then I'm not going behind his back in a way that potentially makes me look bad.

Seeing how open or defensive he is, I might then bring up the whole, "Get your E36 M3 together. You're the owner. You're the one who controls all the money and the ability to raise funds for growth."

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/25/22 10:45 p.m.

Baron,

Just a thought: I had a friend who when he had to say something critical or uncomfortable would begin by stating how he valued the relationship and you as a person. Then he would say very directly what his concern was and what his expectations were. It was very effective and hard not to respond positively. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/25/22 11:43 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I just moved my youngest home from your College town Yesterday :)

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/25/22 11:55 p.m.

You have an owner that is not listening to you, and making vague promises of "someday". When you leave, what happens to his company is not your problem (or fault). I say that as someone that employs people, and values them. 
I would approach the other company myself and let the chips fall where they fall. If you have your owner reach out, he might poison that opportunity for you. From what I read, he's only out for himself, it's time for you to look out for you. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/26/22 8:11 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

You have an owner that is not listening to you, and making vague promises of "someday". When you leave, what happens to his company is not your problem (or fault). I say that as someone that employs people, and values them. 
I would approach the other company myself and let the chips fall where they fall. If you have your owner reach out, he might poison that opportunity for you. From what I read, he's only out for himself, it's time for you to look out for you. 

That really is not the situation with him. I didn't give full details and it's hard to convey in text.

He's not an a-hole, he's an adolescent.

It's not the healthy relationship that I need, but it's not an abusive or actively unhealthy one. It's like being in a relationship with someone who has a lot of potential because they're smart, creative, and caring, but doesn't really know how to realize their potential because they're a bit of a slacker. It's not going between abuse and honeymoon. It's going between saying they're going to get their act together and starting something good, and then a few weeks later realizing they've gotten distracted and are just off playing or gotten distracted by some new task.

I think he has two (or two and a half) major flaws.

Firstly, he doesn't really understand the difference between an Idea and a Plan. He has lots of ideas and gets really excited about them, but doesn't ever actually gel them into fully actionable plans. So we kinda sorta start on something, and then it falls through.

Secondly, he lacks emotional energy to deal with multiple things, or gets distracted by what most concerns/interests him at a given time. Whatever the cause is, he really only deals with one thing at a time and forgets/ignores everything else. Right now, he's getting divorced. He has the kids half the time. I understand family and personal matters being number one priority, but he's worrying about that to the complete exclusion of everything else.

The story we get from him is kind of, "I'll be able to deal with the company as soon as [the current crisis] is over..." But the reality is that life doesn't work that way. There will always be something else.

I think he genuinely would like to deal with things to make the company healthy, but he doesn't really understand how to do that. He's got another source of wealth/income that he doesn't need to rely on the company actually growing and becoming profitable. He just needs it to be more or less self sufficient. He'd like to see it grow, but his approach is to just sort of "wait and see what happens".

On dealing with the other company -

Another problem with approaching the other company is that I suspect the opportunity to take over this location was NDA priveleged information that he wasn't really supposed to share with me, and really only did so to make us feel hopeful to stick around. Our owner has already been talking to the other owner about a possible merger or partnership of the two companies. Going to [other owner] directly would be me effectively telling them, "Hey, I think the guy you've been trying to make a deal with is an idiot and you should drop him."

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/26/22 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Gotcha, I read it as he just didn't care and was stringing you along, glad it's not that (because that sucks on a entirely different level).  The fact that he is distracted AND doesn't really need the money is a pretty good indicator that nothing will change. I'd say he has 2 choices, either hire someone that has the ability to make it grow, and just suck up paying that guy from his other income (if needed) or watch it fail at some point. 

Any chance he would sell it to you (if you wanted that) on an owner financing type deal? Let him deal with life as you make it stronger?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/26/22 9:24 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I'd say he has 2 choices, either hire someone that has the ability to make it grow, and just suck up paying that guy from his other income (if needed) or watch it fail at some point. 

I think he thinks he's doing that. He's brought on the third member of the founding team to act as COO of the company. I don't know how he's being compensated.

This indicates to me an understanding that there is a problem and a desire to get things on track. But I think he doesn't understand the fundamental issues stifling the company. This change isn't going to fix those things.

Ultimately, we don't have a a model for what we want the company to look like to make money, and the current location is a big problem.

This location is bad. It's too expensive (and too small) to be good for a production space capable of feeding a wholesale distribution model. It's not in a hot enough location, nice enough, nor does it have a kitchen capable of making money as a retail taproom.

Fixing those problems would require serious money. The owner is the only person capable of raising such money.

Staying in this location, I think the best we could hope for would be a lean, self-sustaining small taproom. That isn't what I was promised the company would be when I started. I need more growth than that.

The owner has commented that we were doing well before covid, but he seems to define that as being self sustaining and making payments to pay down the business loan. In his mind, once the loan is paid down, that frees up a lot of money to do more things and pay more. But that wouldn't be for years, and I'm not going to sit around and keep waiting for that.

Any chance he would sell it to you (if you wanted that) on an owner financing type deal? Let him deal with life as you make it stronger?

Possibly. I don't want to buy this company though.

I want to be a brewer and managing brewing. I don't want to manage a company.

If I were to start my own brewing company, I wouldn't buy this one. I'd start from a clean slate and build out my own. That's kind of what I'm hoping to put out feelers and achieve - find someone who understands business stuff who wants to invest and run a company, and leave me to do the job of Brewmaster to come up with a creative direction and develop a portfolio.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/26/22 11:46 a.m.

Talking to our GM about the situation who knows what's going on and the players, I'm going to have a phone call today, but I'm only going to find out about the status on partnering with [the other company]. If things are still in motion on that, I'm going to ask to be put into direct contact with [the other owner] to work on putting together a concept. If things are as dead as they seem, then I know I can reach out to [other owner] directly and not be stabbing the owner here in the back.

Then probably arrange an in person meeting (after I get back from a vacation) between me and the two other founders to let them know, "Hey, I'm actively looking to put myself into a position with a company that is actively working on a plan for growth that will meet my career goals. It would be awesome if that place were here, but there is no such plan in place that gets me to my objectives, and I've put off my career growth long enough. I'm not going to miss the opportunities the current market presents me right now."

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/26/22 4:55 p.m.

Is it like this for everyone right now?

Things at work are wild. Every day is a new emergency problem. Tons of phone calls.  I need it now demands.  I'm not burnt out from the hours I put in because I made a commitment to not work any overtime  hours that aren't 100% necessary, but I am burned out by the constant insanity. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/26/22 4:57 p.m.

Everything seemed to be going so well...

There are two ponds on the north end of my property and one of them shouldn't be there. We can't even find the tile to see what's going on, and anybody who might know where it is hasn't been on this earth for a few decades. So it looks like time for a new run of 6" tile over to the creek, and a handful of 4" branches off the side.

Pretty sure that's gonna be cheap.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yep.  We hired 20% more people (OK, one more person) and we still have way too much to do.

Including chasing more work, which is what I've been doing for 2 weeks while my actual work piles up..

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/26/22 5:11 p.m.

Wow. I thought EA had E36 M3ty customer service, but 2k really takes the cake.

Here fill out this bug report form, now here's an email you need to respond to with everything you just put in the bug report form Located AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EMAIL and send back to us.

Did you try unplugging your console and plugging it back in? Have you reinstalled the game? You did both of those things and nothing changed? Ok, well if we get enough complaints we'll look into it, maybe it will fix itself in the mean time. Sorry.

Paraphrased slightly, but that's the gist of a 5 day ordeal trying to fix a problem in a game I've been playing. I figured since it was a problem in the game mode that takes real money in exchange for virtual money they might want to look into it to keep the idiots that actually make micro transactions paying, but I guess not enough of people paying extra are having the issue.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/26/22 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Glad to know I'm not alone. Misery loves company they say. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/26/22 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yes. Every project that got axed in 2020-2021 must be accomplished right now, immediately. It's full throttle, crazy. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/26/22 8:05 p.m.

I cut jalepenos. I picked my nose. 

Notice I did not wash my hands before I went booger hooking. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/22 8:14 p.m.

Boss's wife is having a full-on midlife crisis meltdown.  She's 47.

You want to pretend you'll be 25 forever?  Fine. As long as it's only you, you never have to grow up.

But then don't have a spouse and kids. Once you make those decisions, that ship has sailed.

I'll ignore the futility of being upset about getting old for now.  Of all the things to lash out against, that has to be the most useless.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/26/22 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

You won't forget that for a while...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/26/22 8:26 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I cut jalepenos. I picked my nose. 

Notice I did not wash my hands before I went booger hooking. 

Good thing you didn't get it on your hootus. That is the suxor. Ask me how I know.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/26/22 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

25 year-old me was not nearly as smart, confident, or experienced as 38 year-old me. I say that in spite of 25 year-old me being a three-time Iraqi Freedom vet and Sgt in the Marines. Age and experience count for a lot, if you know how to use them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

She not only doesn't know how, she's actively avoiding trying to learn.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 10:38 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Is it like this for everyone right now?

Things at work are wild. Every day is a new emergency problem. Tons of phone calls.  I need it now demands.  I'm not burnt out from the hours I put in because I made a commitment to not work any overtime  hours that aren't 100% necessary, but I am burned out by the constant insanity. 

Construction is pretty much the same here. I get calls that seem to think I'm just sitting by the phone ready to run out the door like Ghostbusters here.

Seriously, yes I am months out, no I can't jump you ahead of everyone else, yes this will be expensive......stuff like that.

Really everyone is busy so if someone isn't busy, chances are he sucks.

1 ... 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 ... 1620
Our Preferred Partners
ccetZSehcGnUtorqA8lM1k90sxFh0KqiAIaAy12U54mFkubrVj6rXU6hLZWzRqyE