1 ... 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 ... 1929
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/22 9:39 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Which makes the fact that the unvaccinated (just turned) 2 year old powered through whatever variant floating around, more of a miracle. That's the one that worried me most.

My kid has been exposed so many times between daycare, us getting sick, etc. Never showed any symptoms so fingers crossed we can get him the vaccine prior to actually catching it.

Our kid is getting Moderna on Thursday. We could have had a Pfizer appointment today, but decided we wanted the Moderna shot after discussing with our Pediatrician, an immunologist, as well as a Nurse Practitioner in the family with a daughter the same age as ours. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/22 9:40 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's a funny new disease. 

FTFY

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 9:42 a.m.
mtn said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

FTFY

"funny old" is a widely used figure of speech.  i'm guessing streetwiseguy wasn't suggesting that the new variants are just renamed influenza

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/21/22 9:49 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Which makes the fact that the unvaccinated (just turned) 2 year old powered through whatever variant floating around, more of a miracle. That's the one that worried me most.

My kid has been exposed so many times between daycare, us getting sick, etc. Never showed any symptoms so fingers crossed we can get him the vaccine prior to actually catching it.

My 1yr old had exposures at daycare and brought it home to my wife and I. My wife had a rough 36 hour period, it was probably more like 12-18 that I felt bad. Kiddo had a slight fever at daycare but no other symptoms and was fine the whole time we were sick.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
6/21/22 10:20 a.m.

Picked up an 07 GT500 this past weekend that has barely been driven for the past 10 years. I blew the alternator up giving her the beans about an hour after I got it home and remembered the gentleman I bought it from proudly described how he never took it above 5000 RPM in his ownership, and the owner before him put like 300 miles a year on it. 

I hope I don't blow the engine or trans up from actually using it. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/22 10:27 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

FTFY

"Funny old" is a widely used figure of speech.  I'm guessing streetwiseguy wasn't suggesting that the new variants are just renamed influenza.

FTFY

wae
wae PowerDork
6/21/22 11:12 a.m.

"solutionize"?  You do realize that isn't a word, right?  How about instead we say "We need to see if we can come up with a solution for this customer".  As it sits, "We need to solutionize the request" just makes you sound like you're on the verge of understanding how smart you aren't, but it's just outside your mental grasp.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wae :

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/21/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

I'm not sure why everyone that bought one of these seems to have never driven them.  I have a friend that has the same car sitting on a lift in his garage with 2500 miles on it.  We were at his shop and he's telling me about it, I let him drive mine (2011 GT) over to see it.  First comment, "oh wow you do drive yours" (55 K on mine so far) and then "wow, this is quick!".   Dude, it's a car drive it!   Good luck with yours, I hope the alternator isn't a sign of things to come.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 12:23 p.m.
iammclovin804 said:

Picked up an 07 GT500 this past weekend that has barely been driven for the past 10 years. I blew the alternator up giving her the beans about an hour after I got it home and remembered the gentleman I bought it from proudly described how he never took it above 5000 RPM in his ownership, and the owner before him put like 300 miles a year on it. 

Buddy of mine picked up a 67 or 68 Mustang that had been completely concours restored.  Absolutely gorgeous car.

He loaded it on his flatbed and all of the transmission fluid dumped out because the seal was so old it ripped when the driveshaft spun to get it on the truck.  That was the start of it.

It had sat so long that the bearings on all four corners had this weird flat spot in the races where they had been sitting.  I don't even really know how that is possible, but he sent me pictures.

I fully don't get it. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
6/21/22 12:35 p.m.

Hooray for being in an impossible situation! 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 12:37 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

dude that took me forever to find.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/22 12:39 p.m.
11GTCS said:

I'm not sure why everyone that bought one of these seems to have never driven them.  I have a friend that has the same car sitting on a lift in his garage with 2500 miles on it.  We were at his shop and he's telling me about it, I let him drive mine (2011 GT) over to see it.  First comment, "oh wow you do drive yours" (55 K on mine so far) and then "wow, this is quick!".   Dude, it's a car drive it!   Good luck with yours, I hope the alternator isn't a sign of things to come.

Because most of them succumbed to speculation disease.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/21/22 12:46 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
iammclovin804 said:

Buddy of mine picked up a 67 or 68 Mustang that had been completely concours restored.  Absolutely gorgeous car.

He loaded it on his flatbed and all of the transmission fluid dumped out because the seal was so old it ripped when the driveshaft spun to get it on the truck.  That was the start of it.

It had sat so long that the bearings on all four corners had this weird flat spot in the races where they had been sitting.  I don't even really know how that is possible, but he sent me pictures.

I fully don't get it. 

We had a guy that had a '98 Trans Am WS6 with 5200 miles on it trailered to our dealership because the fuel pump went bad. Car wasn't licensed or registered. We put a fuel pump in it, then three years later it gets towed back into the dealership because the fuel pump went bad again from sitting. Still not licensed or registered, and the odometer was still reading the exact same mileage as when we last saw it. I asked the question of "If he's just going to stuff and mount it, why does it matter if it runs?" Then we had to wait a couple days for the fuel pump to show up, and he called every day asking if his car was done yet. What's the rush? You want it done so you can tow it home and park ASAP?

Edit: I was also just reminded of the guy who had a base model automatic C6 Corvette coupe, nothing special, that had like 3000 miles on it. He brought it in last year for a state inspection and none of the OBDII monitors were set, so we told him he had to drive it and set the monitors. He left, put like 10 miles on it, and returned and we said "Uhhh, you have to drive it more than that. Think like, 50-100 miles." The guy literally was nearly in tears. bawling about "I never drive it that much in a year, I can't believe you want me to put that many miles on it." Listen, buddy, it's a regular C6 that's not even in a unique color, calm the berkeley down, it's not going to be worth crazy money. The average Corvette owner is a strange motherberkeleyer.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 1:07 p.m.

Man.  My give-a-damn is straight busted today.

I'm not in the mood for any of this bullE36 M3.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/21/22 1:11 p.m.
Duke said:
11GTCS said:

Because most of them succumbed to speculation disease.

Yup, 2007 was the first year the GT500 returned, and no one seemed to know how many would be made or how long it would get built.  I also know someone who bought one, and barely drove it.  They mostly kept it in the garage and wiped it with a cloth to keep the dust from building up.  They did end up selling it eventually.  500 HP from the factory doesn't hold the same bragging rights it used to.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/21/22 1:13 p.m.

Not a rant. Just kinda "LOL, WTF?"

Wife went grocery shopping last night. Apparently put about 1/4 of the groceries in the wrong cart. Milk, eggs, cheese, and juice only available at Trader Joe's. Checked the receipt, and no charges for those.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/21/22 4:45 p.m.

$60 for a replacement crisper droor for the fridge?!?

wae
wae PowerDork
6/21/22 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I had a very similar bit of sticker shock when mine broke....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/21/22 5:26 p.m.

Regarding recent issues of burnout, I think I've found another.  It used to be that when I could complete a specific part of a project, it'd motivate me to move forward with some other part.  I got the fuel system sorted on my S10 yesterday morning, then spent most of the rest of the day trying to make progress on the exhaust.  I think the sum total I accomplished was a few measurements, cutting the cats out of the donor vehicle's exhaust, and cleaning up the ends of them for when they would be welded in to the new exhaust.  That took me somewhere between 5-6 hours to do what should have been 30-60 minutes of work.  I really need to find a way to get moving faster again or I'll never have this truck back on the road.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 7:56 p.m.

Rant turned to win: Went to MC today, picked up a 2 pack of Kingston for $15.  While ringing out I mentioned the snafu, cashier told me to hold on a moment, got the manager, he remembered the whole thing after yesterday's cashier told him about it, so now I have three 64 gig storage devices smaller than my pinky nail.

My first hard drive was a half height RLL 32 Meg drive.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/22/22 7:55 a.m.

berkeley food poisoning. At least that's what im assuming it is. Violently ill on both ends from 11pm to 3am

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/22/22 8:12 a.m.

Burnout related...maybe...possibly...might be too busy to realize...

Been home after surgery and recovering for the first of 2 weeks. I have to return to the office in a week and I have zero desire to go back to the office.

This is probably the first time I've been off for more than a couple days that I haven't at least checked to see if there was anything critical in email that needed to be addressed. I did look at my work phone (mainly because it was ringing with spam calls) and the only email I opened was one I could tell was related to my medical leave. I had no interest in opening anything else. 

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
6/22/22 9:23 a.m.
11GTCS said:

Yeah I'm hoping I don't have a ton of problems with it. I'm not mad or anything though, looking on Autotempest there is only one GT500 for sale cheaper than I got it for and that one has 156k miles. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/22/22 9:45 a.m.

I decided that I need to have a couple different sets of tools.  The "good" set needs to be the most complete and shall live at the workshop.  That set will be like the Holy Grail - it stays there forever, never passing the great seal.  I need a handful of basic stuff for the house, the kit that's on the motorhome, and then a portable setup that is allowed to go to the junkyard, friends' houses, whatever.   That "good" set also needs to be both SAE and metric - I've got some random SAE stuff floating around, but I'm mostly metric.  I decided to start with a nice 3/8" 6-point socket set that covers the SAE and metric range in regular and deep-well.  Even has storage rails and trays.  That'll let me clean up my 3/8 drawer and start building my go-tools. 

Anyway, the new sockets came in about a couple weeks ago and instead of taking them directly to the shop, I gave them to my wife with a roll of "Happy Father's Day" paper, told her to just wrap that bad boy up, and now Father's Day shopping for me was complete.  And then covid struck and I'm not allowed to leave the house until tomorrow.  I've got these nice, shiny, new tools sitting right there and I've got to walk past them every day and I can't do a damned thing with them!

1 ... 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dr3ZNEBFxwcYOqIQ8CV2kb9Fz3DHgu8UDY4kVKEn2onODQTQ2JieVF4Gz9iS3VII