1 ... 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 ... 1927
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/22 10:00 a.m.

The 2 year old has turned into a total shiny happy person.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/22/22 11:02 a.m.
Appleseed said:

The 2 year old has turned into a total shiny happy person.

Wait for the three-nager phase...  

I wish my 1.5yo would give up the middle of the night feedings.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/22/22 11:30 a.m.

We've hit the "kids screaming in the street during the middle of the day" phase of summer in my neighborhood.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/22 11:38 a.m.

Y'all are making me glad all of my kids are all over the age of 18 and reasonably responsible. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/22/22 12:49 p.m.

"I buy you car for full price. Just obtain report from ... and I'll come at nearest time."

Do people actually fall for this? I mean, they must or there would be a different tactic, but it boggles the mind. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/22 1:25 p.m.
wae said:

"solutionize"?  You do realize that isn't a word, right?  How about instead we say "We need to see if we can come up with a solution for this customer".  As it sits, "We need to solutionize the request" just makes you sound like you're on the verge of understanding how smart you aren't, but it's just outside your mental grasp.

That sounds like a word Lucius Sweet/Don King would come up with.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
6/22/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I've seen posts both in my local subreddit and the askcarsales subreddit asking about the validity of this scam. 

People absolutely do fall for it. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/22/22 2:13 p.m.

In reply to iammclovin804 :

I just had a second attempt for the same scam from a different number peddling a different website. These people. 

The VIN and my name are on the ad. Tip number one: if they ask for the VIN or my name, it's not legit. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/22/22 2:35 p.m.

Someone at work sent an email to a distro list that has over 4,000 emails on it for ID card stuff.  I have almost 100 reply all responses asking to be removed from the list. 

then another pile replying all to the reply alls telling them to stop replying all..

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 3:34 p.m.

I have tried 3D printing the same thing (a stand for the cool spherical moon lithophane I printed last weekend) five different times now, and every. single. time. the print has failed- one time I stopped it after like 2 layers because clearly I didn't have the printer tuner right, but the other four all printed like 80% of the way through and then just BOOM fail. Annoyingly, I've not been sitting at the computer next to the printer for any of these times... at this point, I'm pretty inclined to say, "I will just deal with having a shorter stand than I want," and move on to something else because my printer clearly has some kind of beef with this particular model.

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/22 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Have you tried re-slicing it?  We've had that fix an otherwise unexplainable repeating failure.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 4:54 p.m.

In reply to pkingham (Forum Supporter) :

I have tried that twice. Looking at the failed prints all of them look like somehow the nozzle ended up a few layers-thickness low and snagged inside one of the legs, pulling either the print head or bed (or both) out of alignment resulting in the rest of the print being spaghetti (except this last one, which apparently only knocked the bed out of alignment so the one leg that was aligned along the bed axis printed about another 2/3 of an inch offset forward of where it should have been and then also went completely to spaghetti.

I'm printing something else now which seems to be behaving well. I also printed out something else before the most recent attempt at the stand and it went fine. It's worth noting that the stand is a good bit taller than most everything else I print, though the lithophane itself was taller, so I don't know if it's something wierd when the print head gets above a certain point yet.

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
6/22/22 6:03 p.m.

It's really simple to not get scammed but people will always fall for it. 

I always just try to waste scammer's and lowballer's time. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/22/22 6:14 p.m.

Apparently using bad grammar/spelling and being implausible are tactics that scammers intentionally use. They want to weed out people clever enough to understand what they're trying to do.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/23/22 9:07 a.m.

We don't have time to do it right, but we have time to do it over and over and over.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 9:21 a.m.

I don't read minds. 

I don't order without a signed quote or a purchase order. 

I'm sorry you forgot to approve the quote or send me a purchase order 4 months ago. 

Your failure to do your job is not my emergency. 

While I don't mind pulling in some favors, the reality is you are screwed and there is nothing I can do to help you. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/22 9:36 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

We don't have time to do it right, but we have time to do it over and over and over.

Oh.  My.  Berking.  Bob.  I live this every damn day at work.

One of my 2 bosses is absolutely a 'get the immediate task done in the most short-term expedient way possible' type of person.  He's a little neuro-atypical so I try very hard to make allowance for that, but my personality runs afoul of his quirks* constantly.

He has almost zero value for (or even concept of) prep work and how it saves time in the long run.  He also has almost zero value for consistency.

We just got a group of 4 or 5 very large projects that will all be coming through the pipeline more or less concurrently over the next 2-3 years.  We were discussing it with Boss 1 (not the quirky one) and I insisted that the 4 of us employees who do all the production work were going to need a week together with no other distractions to get our standards up to date before these projects hit.  He kind of gulped, but he got it... and then he joked "Don't tell Boss 2!"

Unfortunately, one of the 4 of us production folks is a lot like Boss 2 in many ways.  I really really hate working in his projects.

It's going to be a long couple years, when it could be a lot less difficult (and more profitable!) if only people did things the right way instead of the most immediate way.  Hell, it would be a lot less difficult if people just took a little time to learn the capabilities of their tools and how those capabilities can save time and effort.

*  Just as an example:  He addresses all his business envelopes in Photoshop, because that's the first way he figured out how to do it in 2006 when they started the company and he's never bothered to learn an easier way.  Never mind that Word has a built-in template for doing it quickly and easily, and has for probably 30 years.  Plus, he's the king of Save As, so the server is littered with hundreds of his Photoshop envelope files, each of which is anywhere from 10mb-100mb depending on how many irrelevant layers he's left in the one he happened to grab at the time.  There is probably a TB of useless and/or redundant information in that alone, which he's paying for in server space, pay-per-MB backup service, and time it takes to open and edit each one.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/23/22 1:21 p.m.

LOL. Owner who is almost never around sounded shocked and aghast to learn that there was no one in the building to receive a quasi-surprise delivery this afternoon.

He is currently heading out of town now on a 3+ week vacation. He took off early yesterday right before the production planning meeting where we figured out what the release and packaging schedule would be for the next 6 months.

I dunno if this is a rant. I'm not angry so much as amused by the irony.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/23/22 8:42 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Corollary:

We don't have time to do it right, but DOIT RIGHT THE berkeley NOW ANYWAY!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/23/22 9:36 p.m.

When you try to do someone a favor and they are over 30 minutes late.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/23/22 10:06 p.m.
Rodan said:
eastsideTim said:

Corollary:

We don't have time to do it right, but DOIT RIGHT THE berkeley NOW ANYWAY!

Note my signature line.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
6/24/22 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Sounds like this guy has it made.

Ive worked with many people like this in the past. They are never in their office, never answer the phone, never returns emails. When you do make contact when them they seem to be in crisis mode because they are so "busy." 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/24/22 10:28 a.m.

berkeley

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/24/22 11:23 a.m.
mtn said:

berkeley

You all right?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/24/22 12:13 p.m.
Duke said:
mtn said:

berkeley

You all right?

I am personally. But not sure about our country. And family gatherings are going to be interesting going forward, as the family includes doctors on the left and right, attorneys on the left and right, feminists, and people who call a very prominent someone who has been involved in certain hearings "uncle". 

1 ... 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mDNzsPDAb6nBEferB4Y96flmPKUIqEfF9R9OPGt9aHRoKPpy76hVcoTqkvClDOSx