eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/8/22 7:17 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Hope it's mild and over quick.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/22 7:57 p.m.
mad_machine said:

A year ago, right after my Father's heart surgery, I had to take him to an oncologist because of a mass in his bladder.  It looked worse than it was, but it was cancer.  The guy we saw was the "heavy hitter" and told us we did not need him now,  but to go back to his regular doc and get set up to take care of it.  Well. several trips to rehab later and it never got taken care of.  Got the word from his doc today, he's probably got days to live at most.

The cancer has spread everywhere. Bladder, Kidneys, liver, lungs, back, and brain.  He's in hospital and refusing to eat, he knows it is the end. All we could do it was order morphine and let him sleep till the inevitable occurs.

All of this could have been preventable!  Fifteen years ago he was told to get the valve in his heart fixed.  They could have done it with a scope and been in great shape.  Instead he choose to let it go until it almost killed him.  It gave him massive gran mal seizures and eventually required open heart surgery to fix.  It has been completely downhill ever since.  Two month long stays in rehab,  months spent sitting down in his rooms getting high rather than dealing with the growing cancer, and now this.  

While I am not going to miss my father much,  he was much too cruel to me and my mother over the years for me to have genuine good feelings for the man, nobody deserves to die like this.

Thankfully it did not take long.  I got the call on the 5th that he had passed.  $2500 to get him cremated and I will dump his ashes overboard next time I go sailing.  Supposedly he had arraigned everything with the navy to have this done,  but never left any notes or told anybody who to call and ask for.  There is a reason I always referred to him as "Secret Squirrel".  He hid stuff, shredded stuff, and did stuff without telling anybody, then would forget the important parts that people needed.

Now we have to find the will.  I know he has one, I helped him draft it and get it notorized,  I hope he didn't shred it.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/22 8:55 p.m.

Got back from vacation and wanted to take the Cayman out for a drive but the battery was dead. I jumped started it and took it for a drive. I stopped to run an errand and it was dead again. Luckily Costco was in the same parking lot and had a replacement in stock. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/22 9:47 p.m.

Probably not really minor, and close to flounder territory, but our local public library is closing for the foreseeable future due to lack  of staff.  They've had enough pressure from a minority in the community that's in a "grooming" panic that they've decided enough is enough, and there are better prospects elsewhere. 

Community has hired three directors over the last year, all of whom have moved on after local  leaders refused to stand up for them. Big enough stink last time (like made national news) that it's very doubtful they will ever get a quality candidate again. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 10:24 p.m.

I'm apparently waaayyy more stressed than I realized because people I barely know are telling me I need to take a vacation.

That's a bit alarming 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 1:23 p.m.

COVID positive yesterday morning. 

This morning, I spent installing a deck awning. Other than a little tired and a bit of a cough, I feel pretty good. 

Pretty sure it's nap time now. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/22 2:32 p.m.

berkeleying berkeley. Cheap goddamn berkeleying vajajay couldn't do a single motherberkeleying goddamn outlet right. Cheap ass old berkeleying berkeley.

berkeleying outlet died in the kitchen. Goddamn wires were to short so the cheap old E36 M3berkeley used CRIMP ON berkeleying wire nuts. Guess who just had a feed wire break in the berkeleying wall trying to undo the goddamn crimpon pieces of E36 M3?

Guess who gets to rewire his berkeleying kitchen now, instead of doing anything that was berkeleying planned for this weekend.

Even if we could afford an electrician, we berkeleying can't, no way in berkeley could I get one worth their hourly rate any time soon. 

berkeleying cheap ass piece of E36 M3 berkeleying old berkeley goddamn owner.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/9/22 6:12 p.m.

Depression and nightshift don't mix. That is all.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/22 8:05 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

Depression and nightshift don't mix. That is all.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they absolutely go hand in hand for me.  One creates the other.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/9/22 8:05 p.m.

My eldest daughter makes a little extra money working at World Market.

One of the most important metrics they use to assess their employees is how many company credit cards they sign customers up for.

My daughter flat out refuses to push their credit card knowing how insane the interest rates are and is willing to be punished (low hours, bad hours, poor reviews, little or no raises) to protect her customers.

How is it possible that a 17 y/o broke kid has the balls to stand ground for what she believes in and yet my Epson WF-2750 printer just refused to print a B&W document because I'm low on cyan???

Think about it, some established engineer making well over 100K per year obviously sold out "I'll write whatever code you want no matter how horrible so long as you pay me".

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/22 8:15 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

I have a newer Brother laser printer at the shop.  One day, it refused to print because it claimed it was out of toner...  I Googled how to reset the counter, and ran another entire cycle, reset the counter again, and got another hundred or so before it got too faded to work for me.

Associated rant:  What dirty little berkeleywad decided that  black buttons on a flat black surface that light up black when you touch them are a good idea?  It said to hold the X button.  Where is the X button?  Had to restart the printer and scratch a circle around the X with a ball point pen as it self checked, so I knew where the hell it was so I could hold it...

Somebody read too much Hitch Hikers guide...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/9/22 8:24 p.m.

Last night as I'm about to fall asleep I think I feel something on my hand. I check with the other hand and yup, but it's too late, it got me. I turn the light on. It's a wasp. They normally don't bother me, and if they do, it's a few minutes of intense pain and it goes away. 
The back of my hand is swollen, itchy as hell and in a lot of pain. Itchy and pain at the same time, it's not a great combination. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/22 8:38 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

My eldest daughter makes a little extra money working at World Market.

One of the most important metrics they use to assess their employees is how many company credit cards they sign customers up for.

My daughter flat out refuses to push their credit card knowing how insane the interest rates are and is willing to be punished (low hours, bad hours, poor reviews, little or no raises) to protect her customers.

How is it possible that a 17 y/o broke kid has the balls to stand ground for what she believes in and yet my Epson WF-2750 printer just refused to print a B&W document because I'm low on cyan???

Think about it, some established engineer making well over 100K per year obviously sold out "I'll write whatever code you want no matter how horrible so long as you pay me".

Because that high paid engineer designed the printer to fail. You designed your daughter NOT to.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

More cynically, a 17yo kid can afford to have ethics more than someone underwater on a mortgage and two car payments and kids in school...

RX Reven'
7/9/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Paragraph #1 = Nice.

Paragraph #2 = My grad studies were in Human Factors Engineering...sounds like they didn't bother to include one of us. 

RX Reven'
7/9/22 8:54 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Because that high paid engineer designed the printer to fail. You designed your daughter NOT to.

I'm hearing Rod Stewart's "Forever Young" right now...eyes glossy..."hoping I served you well."

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/9/22 9:27 p.m.

It's been a hell of a week, plant shutdown with 4 projects running simultaneously. Two of the projects were under my direct control. On the other two, I had dotted line responsibility. Management was warned by multiple people including myself that the timeline for both outside lead projects was aggressive. One should have been shelved back in May as the team simply wasn't ready. The pre work simply wasn't there.  No one listened. They never do.   Needless to say, both of the projects outside my control went to E36 M3.

My guys were done and we all could have been off on the 4th and 5th.  Instead, we had to fire the contractor on one project and pull my team back in on the 4th and 5th to finish both projects. Then we had to supply 24 hour coverage for 2 additional days since we fired the guys who were supposed to be there. Yay, 16-20 hours a day for 6 days straight. 

To add insult to injury, we got the news that our department is reorganizing on Friday. The promotion, that I have been working towards for over a year, is off the table as the position has been filled-eliminated depending on how you look at it. I was hoping to fix some of the issues, but instead, I am just done. It's time to update the resume and get on with it. I hate starting over, but  this crap is ridiculous.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/22 7:41 a.m.

My eldest son and his boys were at a BSA camp when the entire family got sick, including his inlaws and his wife and daughter. They got home and don't have a place to sleep that isn't covid infected. 

Looks like they will be camping in my back yard in the RV for the next week or so.

wae
wae PowerDork
7/10/22 8:30 a.m.

My wife and I have vastly different views as to what constitutes a clean house that is ready for company.....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/22 9:01 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to NickD :

She got pregnant early on ... 

Bruce Springsteen would say

Then I got Dana pregnant, and man that was all she wrote.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/10/22 9:02 a.m.
wae said:

My wife and I have vastly different views as to what constitutes a clean house that is ready for company.....

That is highly variable depending on who the company is.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 5:42 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
wae said:

That is highly variable depending on who the company is.

I wish that were the case with mine... if she knows pretty much anyone will be in the house, she's going to freak out a bit that it's not clear enough.

Case in point: The Dog has thrown up on both the sofa he likes best in the living room and the section we watch TV from in the den enough times that we are likely going to get Stanley Steamer to come out and clean both of them. The Dancer insisted every room they'd see or go through needed to be cleaned up. I'd probably roll my eyes a bit less at this if a more consistent effort at keeping the place clean vs. a binary 'do hardly anything' and 'OMG CLEAN EVERYTHING NOW' was the case.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/10/22 6:22 p.m.

Kid had to get stitches last weekend. He had to be sedated. Now I've gone twice to get them removed and he absolutely freaks out and won't let anyone near. Myself and two other men tried to hold him still enough and no dice. How can a 5yo be so strong? I'm going to try once he's asleep but im not sure I'll be successful. I don't want to have to get him sedated again but we may not have a choice.

*edit. Well I'll be dipped. He came in and said he'd let me take them out. Sterilized the tweezers and snippets and 5 minutes later we're all done. New bandaids and one happy kid. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/11/22 12:38 p.m.

I have to go to 2nd shift for 5 weeks starting today. Completely berkeleys with my life, puppies, money (AC will run 2x as long and I was on 10 hour shifts prior) and my neighbor will be pissed at 3am when I am grinding out floorboards at 3am.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
7/11/22 1:24 p.m.

Many mornings, my wife and I look at each other and ask what we're doing with our lives. We both work high expectation jobs that take a lot of our time and most of our brainpower, neither of us is thrilled with that, and we don't exactly know what it's all for, given that we live below our means and probably don't "need" to be doing this.

1 ... 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zksfv731NRFQ3CjoYu52TJ0ARyiuHoS65HFBNJFNwj9WHxDOHplVyzwFS6oflTzI