1 ... 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 ... 1928
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 1:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Now, I got to bed at 10pm, in my own bed, and wake up with a somehow dislocated rib or something and I can't breathe right. I don't like this. 

Have you tried sleeping on the vacuum cleaner?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/22/22 1:27 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Maybe I should. Sort of need to break out the whiskey for that one though. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 1:27 p.m.
NickD said:

After years of hearing car guys put Two-Lane Blacktop on a pedestal, I watched it tonight for the first time, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Sure, the '55 is pretty nasty and there are a couple cool race scenes, but every other part of it is just awful. It's only slightly better than American Graffiti in that you actually got to see some racing and not spend the entire waiting for the big race just to have one car crash out immediately.

Ever watch Slacker?  How about SLC Punk! ?

Same kinda movies.  Although SLC Punk! did at least seem to have a recognizable narrative progression.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/22 1:37 p.m.
wae said:
Mndsm said:
RevRico said:

So wait, the problem isn't that I was out drinking till 4 in the morning, it's that I snuck in the house and slept on the couch so I wouldn't wake you up? 

Married life is weird. 

Women are weird about sharing beds sometimes. If you don't share the bed, regardless of the reason, it's the end of the world. 

Truth.  If I'm not here, all my wife does is complain that she can't sleep without me.  When she's gone, I get the best sleep of my life because nobody's elbowing me, pushing me off the bed, stealing the blankets, or otherwise waking me up all night.

King sized bed, here's the important part that may change your life,  we have separate blankets. 

I don't even want a top sheet until the leaves start falling, but even now in mid August she's got a blanket of some sort at night. 

Who gives a sit if it looks weird on the bed, nobody should be in our room but us. But it certainly minimizes blanket theft and helps cut down on her invading my allotted 1/4 of the mattress.

Starting to think my grandfather had the right idea with 2 twin beds side by side. If we could find skinnier night stands, we'd be doing a double queen bed instead of a king. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/22/22 1:43 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

After years of hearing car guys put Two-Lane Blacktop on a pedestal, I watched it tonight for the first time, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Sure, the '55 is pretty nasty and there are a couple cool race scenes, but every other part of it is just awful. It's only slightly better than American Graffiti in that you actually got to see some racing and not spend the entire waiting for the big race just to have one car crash out immediately.

Ever watch Slacker?  How about SLC Punk! ?

Same kinda movies.  Although SLC Punk! did at least seem to have a recognizable narrative progression.

For cross country driving cult car guy movies (there's a pretty specific genre), I tend to prefer Vanishing Point. 

wae
wae PowerDork
8/22/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Woah!  You get a fourth of the mattress!?!  My wife isn't that generous to me.  I've actually had to get up, walk around the bed, and climb back in on what would nominally be "her" side.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/22/22 2:15 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Two Lane Blacktop is the Easy Rider of car movies, in that they are both ridiculous stream of consciousness drivel.

See, these are not movies in the traditional sense. They are scenery, pretty moving pictures to look at with a good soundtrack. Two lane blacktop is not a *good* movie, but it is the only one I've seen that had the guts to have the soundtrack be a roaring Chevy small block for minutes on end. That's worth something to me. Otherwise it's kind of an unintelligible mess. But that's OK with me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/22 2:44 p.m.
Mndsm said:
RevRico said:

So wait, the problem isn't that I was out drinking till 4 in the morning, it's that I snuck in the house and slept on the couch so I wouldn't wake you up? 

Married life is weird. 

Women are weird about sharing beds sometimes. If you don't share the bed, regardless of the reason, it's the end of the world. 

And women think they punish us when we screw up, by kicking us out of bed and making us sleep on the couch. Little do they know. We don't mind. It's like camping.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/22 2:49 p.m.
dculberson said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Two Lane Blacktop is the Easy Rider of car movies, in that they are both ridiculous stream of consciousness drivel.

See, these are not movies in the traditional sense. They are scenery, pretty moving pictures to look at with a good soundtrack. Two lane blacktop is not a *good* movie, but it is the only one I've seen that had the guts to have the soundtrack be a roaring Chevy small block for minutes on end. That's worth something to me. Otherwise it's kind of an unintelligible mess. But that's OK with me.

Ever wonder what a movie about your life would look like? Not just the triumph or tragedy,  all of it. The boring parts, the booger picking, uncomfortable silence ALL of it.

That's what Two Lane's director was trying to do. It just happened to involve street racers hell's own 55.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/22/22 2:53 p.m.
dculberson said:
Streetwiseguy said:

You just described "LeMans" with Steve McQueen for me.  IMHO the best racing camera shots ever filmed.  "Everything else is just waiting" 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/22 3:22 p.m.

Fischer Cat!!

Found a bunny skin decomposing behind my shed, then the girl next door tells me it was seen on a Ring device checking out the back porch.

Thankfully my dog is bigger but could still be ugly.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/22/22 5:05 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

An 8-lb weasel ain't nothing to trifle with.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/22/22 5:10 p.m.

Apparently the girls' soccer coaches didn't reserve a bus and two of the three are broken down right now.  So I had a list of 12 girls to get to practice.  So I loaded up the first six and took them to the field.  Turns out one good bus was checked out to the boys' soccer team who practice at the same field.  When I came back to pick the other 6 girls, 7 girls came out to the car.  So I took six of them and then came back for the last girl.

Turns out the boys' team made two trips and on the second trip she took a single kid.

#1 if busses need to be reserved, I really wish they'd either tell me to do it and how to do it or make sure they do it.

#2 there's always at least 1 bus out of commission for one reason or another.  They need to run these things at least once a week instead of letting them sit for months at a time.

#3 could we maybe coordinate the two teams??  15 boys plus 13 girls equals two busloads!  So instead of taking at best three bus route trips - or in today's case, two bus trips and three SUV trips - we could just do it in two trips.  Sequentially if two busses are broken down or concurrently if there are two working busses.

#4 there's a place for the kids to sign up if they need the bus to get to practice.  Freaking sign up kids!

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/22 6:55 p.m.

IT does a quarterly server shut down. Every time it takes about a day for everyone to get back onto the servers and get their tools running. It always seems to be the same 2-3 people have more issues than the rest of us. 99% of the time it's simple stuff. Today someone's PC restarted to install Windows updates. When their PC was done installing/rebooting they tried to log back in to the server and got a message that the server wasn't available. I asked a few questions one of which was "are you connected to the VPN?" They told me yes. I logged into their PC and of course they hadn't logged back into the VPN. We've only been working from home daily for the last 30 months and weekly for the last 13 years. You'd think that we wouldn't have these issues anymore.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/22/22 8:49 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Why on earth would you ever think that?

70% of people know just enough to do their jobs assuming that all tools and supporting infrastructure are working perfectly and as expected.

The moment anything deviates from that condition they are completely dead in the water and expect someone to come fix it for them immediately.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 9:38 p.m.

Grr.

Volvo thinks passenger door is open.

Standing here making sure that the lights shut off after several minutes.

I know that, looking at scan data in the Rear Electrics Module (not the Central, not the security, not the door modules... all four doors go to the REM???)  grounding the pink wire at the door latch does not change the switch state.  Grounding the terminal at the REM *does*.  I have continuity through the latch connector to at least the chassis side of the door connector.  So the open in the circuit is somewhere in the interior of the car.

I mean, yay not having to buy a latch, or a REM, but interior work sucks.

And tomorrow I get to diag a "nothin is talkin to nothin" nostart on a heavily, HEAVILY customized Camaro.  Think doors with six speakers and two screen displays each, and displays and speakers and Playstations in the trunk.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/22 10:12 p.m.

Re: Two Lane Blacktop. When I was a kid, I was so eager for anything related to cars that I read the script. 

I still haven't seen it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/22/22 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

There was a script?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/22 12:11 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

"I gotta change the jets"

...That's pretty much it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/23/22 12:32 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I dealt with an xc90 with erratic locks, and I'm pretty darn sure the rear doors and hatch (and the gas filler) go to the rem, but the fronts go direct to the cem on it.  I remember because about once a month it would lose communication and shut down, and she was a house cleaner who carried stuff in the locked hatch...  and as soon as you interrupted power to the rem,  it would all start working properly.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 10:18 a.m.

You just answered a 4-month-old email. Seriously?

If you look up the chain a little you will see that the question was answered 4 months ago. 

By you.

We are at the install point, not the quote point, of the project. Get your E36 M3 together and do your job so I can do mine.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/22 10:26 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Probably exceeds the minor rant threshold, but got the radiology report from yesterday's CAT scan--

• Full thickness, retracted tear of subscapularis tendon
  • Perforating tear of anterior supraspinatus

Surgeon wants to talk to me Monday morning. 

Quick google consult says at least 4 weeks post-op in a sling before they even begin therapy. 

This is in a shoulder that already had a total joint replacement in February 2021. 

Doc told me yesterday that surgery currently is not an appropriate option while my range of motion is good, even if pain is bad and there's very little strength.  

Going in for a quick PT eval today to see what they think they can do with what's left of the joint.  

Will start down the road of exploring pain management options next week, though with considerable reluctance because of my mother's experience there. 

My sister is trying to sell me on stem cells/regenerative therapy, but the only parties that appear to express unreserved enthusiasm for it are the ones selling it.   It at least appears to do no harm. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
8/23/22 10:39 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Duke :

"I gotta change the jets"

...That's pretty much it.

"Make it three yards motherberker and you got yourself an automobile race." -James Taylor

Also some jibberish about cicadas 

I love that movie.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We're the opposite- I need more cover than she does most of the time (primarily because of our respective preferences for sleeping attire), and when we first got the Alaska King comforter we have on the bed now ('comforter' is a bit of a stretch IMO, it's closer to a heavy tufted sheet...) I was too cold and put a thin blanket between the top sheet and the 'comforter'. It's better in the winter when she's good with having the heavier oversized blanket on the bed... the irony of course being that, for the most part, the temperature in that room is almost always the same (60F) regardless of the season.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/22 11:41 a.m.

It's.... been one of those weeks.

Last Tuesday night about half an hour after we'd gone to bed, The Dancer was woken up by The Dog essentially screaming out in pain (I was upstairs in the bathroom). He wasn't able to get up and walk, so I had to pick him up and carry him (at 80lbs of bulky dog) up 2 flights of stairs and out to put him in the truck. The emergency vet wasn't able to really figure much out but ran lots of tests and we were there all night and didn't get back until around 9am. The wanted us to have some scans re-run to see if anything had changed later in the day, so we slept a few hours before dropping him off at his normal vet about 5 minutes away before heading home and sleeping a few more hours until they called use to go in. The didn't find much else out either, but the few things they thought it was likely to be would have involved surgery and we learned that there are no longer any specialized veterinary surgeons in Lexington- so they sent us to the nearest place which was an hour away in Louisville.

They ran more tests/scans and didn't ever come up with a definitive, 100% certain answer for what exactly had happened... but in doing the tests they did find that he has a mass on his heart that is pretty much certainly cancer, and that there was fluid around his heart that seemed to indicate that the mass was bleeding and if it kept it up would interfere with his heart function (oh, and by the way- the kind of tumor that would form that kind of mass was also likely to spread... and that on a dog of his age that surgery to try and remove it would almost certainly kill him faster than the tumor would). His kidney levels were also like 4x what they should be, so when the vet called us Friday morning with all of this info their prognosis was pretty dire. After a lot of crying, we drove the hour out to the vet with the knowledge that there was a decent chance that it might be the last time we saw him alive and expected he would be in much the same shape he'd been when we had taken him there- largely unable to walk and in pretty bad shape. However to our (pleasant) surprise, when they brought him in to see us he was probably 80% of the way back to normal for him and most people would probably not have been able to tell that anything was wrong. 

Heartened by this we basically told the vet to shove her dire prognosis and to do what they needed to do to address the non-heart-mass-related issues, and though it took several more days of fluids and antibiotics (the latter probably not being fully necessary) we were finally able to bring him back home yesterday evening- even the fluid around his heard had lessened on their last scan. He wasn't quite himself last night after being at the ER for most of the previous week, but this morning he seems pretty much back to normal. We know that the mass is still there and could both spread or start bleeding badly- but for the time being he's back home and we're going to make the most of whatever remaining time we get to have with him. The last week of vet bills was not fun, but well worth it to us to have more time with him.

The rant: Look... we're 2 decades into the 21st century. How the berk is so much of medicine (human and veterinary) still essentially guesswork and 'let's try this and see if it works?' That's essentially what they did with The Dog over the last week, and a year ago with The Dancer when she eventually had to have her gallbladder removed. Back when I was a kid and had a subscription to Popular Science I remember an article about full-body scans (I forget if it was CT or MRI) and how they would become a regular tool for doctors to be able to see everything that was going on in the body and quickly diagnose problems. I remember where I was living at the time which based on that means this would have been at the latest about 30 years ago. I get that Star Trek-like medical scanners are never likely to exist within my lifetime, but how have they not come up with better diagnosis tools?

1 ... 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NlGDxDXudUS3wKCq6eIxYSTDWEFhL8PadKRxdrnf3fY2bweBFFnrPK2ipdOaE5wn