1 ... 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 ... 1925
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/22 10:07 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

I don't really miss having to travel for work like I used to.

BUT... it is somewhat frustrating that since I work remotely from 99% of my group and since they've not flown me (or even had me drive...) back to the main plant for nearly a decade, a full third of my group has never seen me in person. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/22 10:43 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Toyman! said:
Antihero said:

How the hell is this O2 sensor so stuck? I've never had even close to as much problem with one as this one!

Stainless on stainless, it's probably gaulded. 

If the bung is stainless, and the sensor is stainless, this is likely. If it is galled, it cannot be removed without destruction. Galling is incredible.

It seems awfully rusty to be stainless but I could be wrong. It in a terrible place to get to, it's Bank 2 Sensor 1 and it's clocked towards the body/outside. 

The other side was a little rough, but heat is the thing that got it free almost immediately. This one is resisting all efforts

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/22 11:02 a.m.

For berkeleys sake Andy, couldn't you do anything whole assed or is everything half assed or worse?

Finally decide to tackle the upstairs toilet, thinking it just needed a wax ring. Well it definitely does, but now I'm 3 layers of rotten plywood down and still not in the clear. Three layers of oddly shaped, stitched together plywood. 

I don't even know how I'm going to fix this. I don't even know how berkeleyed this is yet because the smell from the drain is killing me and making it hard to think.

Edit: Aha, under 3 layers of rotten plywood, a layer of rotten hardwood flooring. That's nailed down. 

Part of me wants to just put a piece of plywood down and pour concrete to get it up to floor level. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/22 3:52 p.m.
Antihero said:
tuna55 said:
Toyman! said:
Antihero said:

How the hell is this O2 sensor so stuck? I've never had even close to as much problem with one as this one!

Stainless on stainless, it's probably gaulded. 

If the bung is stainless, and the sensor is stainless, this is likely. If it is galled, it cannot be removed without destruction. Galling is incredible.

It seems awfully rusty to be stainless but I could be wrong. It in a terrible place to get to, it's Bank 2 Sensor 1 and it's clocked towards the body/outside. 

The other side was a little rough, but heat is the thing that got it free almost immediately. This one is resisting all efforts

O2 sensors are stainless steel and so are the pipes on anything made in the last 30-40 years or so.

Exhaust systems are full of very hot water vapor.  Stainless rusts in that environment.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/10/22 4:38 p.m.

Rant #1. My 17yo daughter came home from work yesterday and said her throat hurt. I took her temperature and it was 102.5f! She slept 12 soild hours last night. Temp is a little better. She's still a slug though. 

CAinCA
10/10/22 4:41 p.m.

Rant #2. Our water softener system needed service. I called the local dealer and they tried to sell me a new $6k system. Um, no thanks. I just want the one I have serviced. Tech shows this morning and shows me a card with their new price structure. Holy E36 M3! It's about 4x what it was 3 years ago. I told the wife that we will be buying a new system from someone else when this one starts acting up again. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/22 5:26 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

4 hours, 2 trips to Lowes (I berkeleying hate Lowes) and a trip to Ace later, pressured treated plywood has replaced rotting sanded plywood. I left the sub floor in, berkeley it. Without breaking tile, I had to. And this did give me the push I needed to finally finish the LVP I started when we moved in.

My lungs burn and my lips taste like sewer even after a shower. 

Don't buy a pre-existing house, just build, and sell when E36 M3 starts to break. 

Also, Lowes, your berkeleying ginormous, how the absolute E36 M3 do you NOT EVEN HAVE A SPOT FOR TOILET FLANGES? Not "oh we're sold out right now" just straight up not even a spot. I spent $20 on fuel just to get to you twice today and still needed to go another 2 gallons out of my way to get the rest of the parts. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
10/10/22 7:19 p.m.

The time displayed on my phone randomly jumped an hour ahead the other day. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/10/22 7:26 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

We called for a softener repair call and it was a long distance for them as most Chicago suburbs get decent water known as "Lake Michigan water" and not many water softeners in the area - I get it.  

After a week of waiting we just bought a new one and I installed it that evening.   

However we went through the $5,000 water softener presentation and you do get what you pay for.  

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/22 3:30 a.m.
hunter47 said:

NOW I don't have to fly back every weekend, but I'm moving apartments in Seattle AND my girlfriend is out of town on the weekends so someone needs to watch the animals! 

I could in theory have gone straight from Stockholm (1hr flight/10hr drive south from where I live) to Brussels on Sunday night or Monday morning but then I wouldn't have seen my wife or daughter for a week. I always struggle a bit with that balance but in most cases, yes, it is worth coming home if only for a night. There might at least be time for some chatting and cuddling...you know it is like racing, even when it is bad it is good?

CAinCA
10/11/22 1:28 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to CAinCA :

However we went through the $5,000 water softener presentation and you do get what you pay for.  

I get that. We have a Kinetico that we paid $3500 for 20 years ago. We've had it serviced 3 times in the last 10 years or so. The service calls have added up to close to what we paid for it. Looking back at it, we've paid roughly $35 a month for the softener and salt.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/11/22 2:24 p.m.

My 12 years of marriage has never been tested like this before. Why? We are in the depths of hell known as a flea infestation. We're losing the battle and the war. Two pets (Boston Terrier and cat) brought fleas inside. My wife is super stressed. She stays at home so it's mostly been on her to deal with this. I have to walk on pins and needles at home. She's at her breaking point. I'm doing all I can to help fight these bastards. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

BTDT. They are brutal.

Breaking the cycle takes time. Spray regularly and vacuum at least twice a day. Floors and furniture. I don't remember the spray we used but it was very effective. Let me see if I can find it. 

Take the animals to the vet and get the oral flea treatment. It's well worth the money. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/22 2:54 p.m.

You've heard me rant about people in my neighborhood completely ignoring the 4 way stopsign.

I almost got creamed this morning. I full stop. Black JEEP SUV thing is coming in on my right. Its slowing, so I go. It slows, but doesn't stop. Just keeps on rolling at me, at least 10-15mph.

Honking the horn must have woke the bastard up, because I'm not currently in the hospital.

This E36 M3 is beyond old.

Toyman!
10/11/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I think it was this stuff. Whatever you buy make sure it has an insect growth hormone to stop the larvae from becoming adults. 

Amazon Link

You might consider renting a steam cleaner for the carpets. The heat will kill the eggs and the larvae as well. 

Plan to do it all again every week or two for a month to break the cycle. 

Scotty Con Queso
10/11/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Thanks! 

wae
wae PowerDork
10/12/22 8:17 a.m.

I get hung up on the stupidest little details and I really wish reporters would ask the questions that I want answered.  Apparently there was a fire in an apartment building locally.  The news had this to day:

Have I been doing laundry wrong all these years?  You take "things" out of the dryer and you set them on fire?  That's just normal?  If I would have been conducting that interview I would have been saying "woah.  Stop right there.  You pulled 'something' out of the dryer?  What was it?  And then you decided to light it on fire?  Do you usually do that?  What was the purpose of igniting your freshly dried 'things'?"

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 8:48 a.m.

I hate tax time .......     I hate getting an extension it just delays the inevitable.  

Toyman!
10/12/22 8:54 a.m.

Dear USAF.

Can you please leave the same person in charge of this project until it is completed? This is the 6th time I have provided pricing for this project over the last few months because every new person wants it estimated a little differently. It's really getting old. 

Make up your minds and let's get on with it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Have you seen the clusterberkeley the F-35 is? You think doors are going to be better?

Toyman!
10/12/22 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

If they would do what I tell them to, they would be.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/12/22 11:06 a.m.
wae said:

I get hung up on the stupidest little details and I really wish reporters would ask the questions that I want answered.  Apparently there was a fire in an apartment building locally.  The news had this to day:

Have I been doing laundry wrong all these years?  You take "things" out of the dryer and you set them on fire?  That's just normal?  If I would have been conducting that interview I would have been saying "woah.  Stop right there.  You pulled 'something' out of the dryer?  What was it?  And then you decided to light it on fire?  Do you usually do that?  What was the purpose of igniting your freshly dried 'things'?"

Well... the whole thing reads like a first year student trying to sound smarter than they are, so...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/22 12:32 p.m.

Found a spider in my coffee the hard way.

Scotty Con Queso
10/12/22 12:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Found a spider in my coffee the hard way.

Know what's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half of a worm in your apple. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/22 12:54 p.m.

Several weeks ago I put in an order for a Ford Maverick.   I went to the dealer, choose my options, and was handed a signed order form acknowledging this.

Yesterday I get a email from the dealer.    Hi, are you still interested in buying a truck?  We have Rangers and F-150's.

I replied that I already ordered a Maverick in Sept during the 1 week order period.

No, is the reply,  we have no record of that.

I send back a copy of the signed order and said here is the record your salesman gave me when I ordered it.

Reply: oh well, sorry about that, the order banks are closed for Mavericks.    

1 ... 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 ... 1925

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niQt1ODSVhArwBeYRzC0FZFOw5R1Io0pkfvRP2i1Dpz8kjaRwsbFmtLv6QuElgnH