1 ... 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 ... 1928
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/12/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

With the way they've started talking about reeling in dealer shenanigans, this might be something Ford corporate would want to hear about.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/12/22 1:43 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Did they follow up with: "So jharry3, when can we get ya in to look at an f150 or Ranger? How about that TruCoat???" 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/12/22 3:07 p.m.

I'm curious if the order got put in, but they are hoping to sell it to someone else when they get the truck in stock.  One of the disincentives Ford has is a certain percentage of pre-orders have to be shown as going to the person who ordered it, but I can't remember what kind of penalties there are for not meeting it.

Although, more likely just incompetence and the order never got entered.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/12/22 6:12 p.m.

My rant is that lately the rants thread is one of the less upsetting ones on the board. Jesus guys get it together. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/12/22 10:58 p.m.

Dad's neighbor has always been a little eccentric, long as I knew him since the 70's. He's in his upper 80's now. He let his house run down over decades and it should probably be condemned, IMO. I've always dreaded getting in a conversation with him because it would be 20-30 of him rambling.

He recently lost it in a tax sale and he's wound pretty berkeleying tight now. He crept in on me while I was working outside a few days ago and rambled. Tax sale, county, township, courts, sewage, government... and on and on. He closed in on me to less than 2' of my face, I could feel his breath and my back was against the porch wall. Back the berkeley off dude! But he almost walked on the stuff I was spray painting out front... and that did it. I flipped the berkeley out, get the berkeley away from me now, I have work to finish here and then I'm gone and never wanna come back here. 

He insisted we make peace the next day. I declined but we settled with a handshake, and then he started his rants all over again. Holy berkeley, I walked away.

I totally ignore him now, don't make eye contact or he'll close in on ya.

But... five times so far I have heard him say "I'll shoot em, I'll shoot em all". Twice to me directly, once while I was working in the backyard, once while he was talking to the neighbor lady across the alley and tonight to our neighbor the other side of us. I warned him before to watch what he says but to no effect. He's gonna say that to the wrong person and the State Police is gonna climb up his ass.

My gut says there is going to be 'an incident' over there before he leaves.... and it ain't gonna be good.

I'm gonna start carrying a pocket pistol while I work in the yard.

berkeleyin' nuts.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/22 7:51 a.m.
dculberson said:

My rant is that lately the rants thread is one of the less upsetting ones on the board. Jesus guys get it together. 

My rant is two sided and piggy backs on this. If the instigators, which are the same handful of people in almost every thread that's been a problem, aren't going to be punished for whatever reason, we need a block or ignore button so the rest of us don't have to deal with that E36 M3. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/13/22 8:08 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I would contact the police over that. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 9:38 a.m.
RevRico said:
dculberson said:

My rant is two sided and piggy backs on this. If the instigators, which are the same handful of people in almost every thread that's been a problem, aren't going to be punished for whatever reason, we need a block or ignore button so the rest of us don't have to deal with that E36 M3. 

I use the wheel on the top of my mouse. It works just like a block button because I can scroll past the insanity. Nobody is forcing me to read what they post. 

Toyman!
10/13/22 10:11 a.m.

Did everyone go back to the office on October 1st? 

Holy traffic nightmare. The entire city has been gridlocked every day, morning and afternoon, since the 1st of the month. 

40 minutes to go 13 miles this morning. September 30th it took 20 minutes or less.

To make matters worse, everyone that has been working from home has apparently forgotten how to drive. Get it together people.

It's almost enough to make me wish for another round of COVID to send everyone back home for another year or two. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/13/22 10:50 a.m.

The minor rants thread is where I come to relax. It's my form of therapy. And I appreciate all of you. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/22 10:59 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to fasted58 :

A dude got thrown out of a bar. Drunkenly remarked he'd come back and shoot up the place.  My friend (who had absolutely nothing to do with it) was shot dead later that night.

Call the police.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 2:42 p.m.
Appleseed said:
mtn said:

In reply to fasted58 :

A dude got thrown out of a bar. Drunkenly remarked he'd come back and shoot up the place.  My friend (who had absolutely nothing to do with it) was shot dead later that night.

Call the police.

Yeah there are too many stories like this, definitely let the police know about this nut, but keep in mind that this could lead to an interaction between him and the police that could rile him up further. Maybe have everyone take a few days away from the house when you make the report...

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/22 3:14 p.m.
Toyman! said:

It's almost enough to make me wish for another round of COVID to send everyone back home for another year or two. 

I had a co-worker who kept saying that traffic was getting too bad and it was time for a recession so that there'd be layoffs and traffic would go back to being  bearable. I kept telling him to be careful what he wished for. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/13/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

I said that to Mrs. P just yesterday

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/13/22 3:21 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to fasted58 :

Guy in shop threatens to shoot up a coworker - I'm the plant manager so I call the cops.  This was in the late '80's.

COPS; Yup, we know him.  Yup, he has guns but we pull him over a lot and he never has any in his K5 Blazer.  Can't do anything on here say.  

Okay - just so you know I'm firing him tomorrow.  All went well except he was soon unemployed.

BTW I believe the police would react differently today.  

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/22 3:44 p.m.

Why do receptacles only have one ground screw?

Two hots. Two neutrals. It's code and accepted to use this for the oh-so-common task of wiring line to one pair and load to the other.

But grounds? You have to make up a pigtail every. damn. time.

And why aren't there also quadcepticles, also with two ground screws? Seems like putting two duplex outlets in a box is so common that having a quad receptacle would save a lot of time. Is a pro electrician faster at this than I am? Sure. Is it still a waste of time and a hell of a lot slower than just screwing down wires? Absolutely.

Given that some pros apparently actually either don't wrap the wires (and maybe that's not the end of the world) or even just use the back-stab holes (okay, that may be the end of the world), it's hard to believe there isn't clamoring for receptacles that avoid this pigtail fuss.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

It definitely seems that way. Our traffic is very close to prepandemic normal 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/13/22 6:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Appleseed said:
mtn said:

In reply to fasted58 :

Call the police.

Yeah there are too many stories like this, definitely let the police know about this nut, but keep in mind that this could lead to an interaction between him and the police that could rile him up further. Maybe have everyone take a few days away from the house when you make the report...

I know that I should but I still have reservations about calling it in. I was hoping a neighbor would report it, they've known him forever and that he has always been spouting off about E36 M3. This is excessive though. I would probably still be blamed though if another called it in. 

I have no idea how he would act if the state police showed up. Maybe he'll cool it, maybe escalate. Dunno. He's wound pretty tight right now.

I hope to be out of there in a month or two. I don't know when he has to leave his house. I hope to be gone and never look back. That doesn't help the neighbors any though. 

edit: I spoke with the lady neighbor this evening about Tom, she has known him all her life. She called him 'harmless' as he has always spouted E36 M3 but said he may be getting worse with age. She didn't think he would act on anything. I'll speak with another old neighbor tomorrow, see what he thinks. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/22 10:38 a.m.
fasted58 said:

edit: I spoke with the lady neighbor this evening about Tom, she has known him all her life. She called him 'harmless' as he has always spouted E36 M3 but said he may be getting worse with age. She didn't think he would act on anything. I'll speak with another old neighbor tomorrow, see what he thinks. 

That phrase has turned into a giant red flag. Like, ludicrously big red flag.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 10:57 a.m.
fasted58 said:

I know that I should but I still have reservations about calling it in. I was hoping a neighbor would report it, they've known him forever and that he has always been spouting off about E36 M3. This is excessive though. I would probably still be blamed though if another called it in.

All the more reason to call it in yourself, so you have some control over when it happens.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/14/22 12:09 p.m.

If the police talking with him might be enough to set him off, any number of other things could also set him off.

He's either a ticking bomb, or he's not. 

Toyman!
10/14/22 12:23 p.m.

Dad, love you but you may be the most hard-headed man I have ever met. 

He's 84. A month or so back, he decided it would be a good idea to walk downstairs in his sock feet. Naturally, he slipped and probably cracked a rib. At a minimum, he has separated them or pulled something badly. Three days later he's out of town in the mountains hiking and walking everywhere. Not giving himself time to heal because he's hardheaded and doesn't listen to anyone. His version of convalescence is to go out and work some more. 

The following week, a large tree fell on the property. Instead of waiting and letting me help him with it on the weekend, he gets out there to chop it up by himself. Again, his back is in pain and he's down for a few more days. When I bitch him out about it, he's response was, "I didn't split any of the wood, I bought a log splitter." OK, hardhead. frown

A week or so later, the hurricane comes through. Another tree down. He is once again out there swinging a Stihl and chopping up trees like a man 30 years younger, as well as cleaning up the yard. With that, he's down again for a few days. OK, hardhead.

Wednesday, the radiator in the backhoe started leaking. We talked about it and I told him I would come down this afternoon and help fix it. Did he wait for me for help? Of course not. He has disassembled the entire steel front end on a 426 Cat to repair the radiator. Guess what, his damn back hurts again. He mentioned to my mother that he may have overdone it again. No E36 M3 Sherlock. 

Hey hardhead, if you don't give it a chance to actually heal, it will never feel better. You aren't 30 anymore. At 84 it takes longer for you to heal. Give it a chance. 

I'll bitch him out again this afternoon when I get there. He won't listen though. Hardhead.

He's going to die with a tool in his hand. I guess that's better than the alternative but I'm dreading that day.  

Toyman!
10/14/22 9:19 p.m.

Got the backhoe repaired. 

He decided it was time to trim the shrubbery. No, he wouldn't let me do it, he knows how he wants it done. 

84 years old, 15' in the air, swinging a Stihl hedge trimmer. Hard headed as ever. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I am barely over half his age and my joints hurt thinking about the E36 M3 he is doing.  I am happy if I can walk the three stairs into my kitchen without having to stop and rest after the effort.

Toyman!
10/14/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I damn sure can't keep up with him. He grew up on a farm. I'm a soft city boy that's been driving a desk for a couple of years. 

1 ... 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V9TNJUMnIBr2wqYrUTSjDy6SOOOkhuJxbPeFjfrk46DjXyR39JPXTaqtdLtZZF92