1 ... 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 ... 1929
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/17/22 2:38 p.m.

On hold with Social Security, waiting for a human...  56:09 and counting...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/17/22 5:10 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I knew somebody would figure it out.

Six years that drain bolt lasted, and I forgot and used a 12pt wrench...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/22 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Those are the only drain plugs I use a ratchet on.  10mm on extension, one hand to stabilize the ratchet head, the other hand to turn.  Wrenches seem to round them off.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/17/22 7:19 p.m.

I knew, reading the info on this page, what vehicles oil plug we were talking about.

There are times a guy wants to walk up behind an engineer (any engineer) and box his ears for this sort of E36 M3.  He may not personally have put a 10mm head on a 13mm plug, but the odds are very good he's done something equally stupid.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/18/22 2:53 p.m.

This is a new frustration.

I contacted a dude (David 1) about some wheels he's selling for a very specific sort of race car on a private group in FB.   I contact him through Messenger.   Today he says he prefers X digital payment.

Here is where it gets squirrely.  I respond I don't have X but that I have A, B, and C.  He says he can take B if I send it to his buddies account (David 2) and we agree on $500.  I send the money to his buddies account, after all he's an older dude who probably doesn't have multiple digital accounts and I've done similar sorts of things over the years.

Then I see on the FB post that D1 is reaching out to me, our chat in messenger has disappeared and he wants to know if I still want the wheels.   This time I call D1 and send him screen shots of our conversation.   He doesn't know D2 but somehow our chat had been high jacked.    

My bank views it as an authorized payment so they aren't hopeful for recovering the money.  CashApp has a thing for reporting fraud but we'll see if anything comes of it.

But this is weird, and annoying.   If anyone would like to help me track down $wittda in CashApp, I'll make the drive to recover my funds.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/18/22 3:22 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

You have me wondering now.  An acquaintance from high school friended me on FB recently.  Shortly after I accepted it, I got a message, supposedly from him, that was a scam.  I'm pretty sure it came from a cloned account, not the account I just friended, though.  I'm guessing FB has a security issue to deal with.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/18/22 6:16 p.m.

Yesterday I was talking to a coworker about how easy Friday's are. Most people are "working" from home or on PTO. My clients are tired and have given up for the week. That means I have an easy day to get work done.

Today was not one of those Friday's. I jinxed the berk out of myself. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/19/22 5:33 a.m.

berkeley fort Lauderdale. Theres nowhere to E36 M3 at 5am right off 95....

If thats the worst thing to happen today, its a fanberkeleyingtastic day!!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Your standards are too high. With zero shame you can crap practically anywhere .

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/22 10:58 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Your standards are too high. With zero shame you can crap practically anywhere .

There is a reason I have a roll of tp in the trunk. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/19/22 11:05 a.m.
mtn said:
Appleseed said:

There is a reason I have a roll of tp in the trunk. 

This was the actual outcome. I feel no shame or remorse. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 11:08 a.m.

Its Florida. No one would have noticed anyway.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/22 11:46 a.m.

berkeley. I have entirely too much to do to get ready for Thanksgiving to spend all day Monday putting 200 miles on, but, thanks to post office late delivery, I get to do just that. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/22 12:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

berkeley fort Lauderdale. Theres nowhere to E36 M3 at 5am right off 95....

If thats the worst thing to happen today, its a fanberkeleyingtastic day!!

I only ever need a bathroom when there is none available.

Usual scenario is I'll be at work. Fine.

Drive 30min to Batcave.  Fine.

Stop for gas and coffee at Speedway off the turnpike. Fine.

Get to Batcave 2 minutes away, turn on lights, set up heater, 3.3 seconds later - gotta pee. Bad.  Batcave has no bathroom facilities.

Dammit bladder why didn't you say something earlier?

Or today for example.  Get into car to head to Evan's.  Fine.

Halfway to gas stop. Gotta poop, now.

Gas stop. Everything fine.

Halfway to rest area on 71. Gotta poop, NOW.

Rest area. Everything fine.

Halfway from there to Evan's.  You get the drill.

At Evan's now waiting it out in the guest bathroom...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/22 2:50 p.m.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/22 8:57 p.m.

Found out on Thursday hat one of our cats seems to have irritable bowel syndrome, most likely cause is cat food with chicken in it, so now I get to change the food for three picky cats. Fortunately the fourth one doesn't care as long it look like food and doesn't walk away, but that's why she looks bigger than any of the neighbourhood trash pandas .

Me, I'm just irritable right now as I'm wondering if a couple of work related decisions made not too long ago were a good idea.

SAAB has been at the shops for weeks - after a full service and a clean bill of health it decided that it didn't like neither its MAF nor its coolant. Took a while to track down the issues, shop is also short handed because a lot of people are out sick. Was supposed to be done on Friday, but I guess it wasn't as I didn't get the call to pick it up. Yay.

Ended up having to take the beater truck to Costco, and the truck promptly blew a brake line on the way back home. Managed to still get it home OK, but talk about sketchy. Brake line looks *perfect* with no rust. Well, other then the little piece under a plastic clip, where it rusted through and blew.  Good thing this didn't happen while I was towing, but given that the only other working and road legal cars are not really suitable to be driven in these temperatures and most importantly, kinda laid up for winter already, this is a problem. Oh, and the only shop in town that I trust to do the work is the one that has the SAAB and IIRC they mentioned they're closed this week. And of course, the other shop in town that has a flatbed that can pick up my F250 is one I don't really want to give my business for ... reasons.

Did I mention that I need one of the two jalopies working in less than two weeks because I have to travel and get to the airport somehow?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
11/20/22 9:36 p.m.

Seriously Tim, you just need to buy an Accord or the like to have something that just works.  Although with your inverse Midas touch you'd get the only Accord or Camry to get lemon law buyback. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Honestly with the way things are going atm, they'll probably offer a lemon law buyback on a used car to avoid reputational contagion. 

Anybody else tired of the struggle?

It seems like I can't get ahead. After my landlord raised my rent by $400 a month, the GF asked me to move in with her. My lease is up in December but I wanted to break in it September. The landlord said no but would let me out of it in November. He doesn't know what he will do with the house. Well, that sounds like his berking problem. I wanted to do it earlier so I wouldn't be trying to move around the holidays. I have to be done with moving no later than tomorrow since I'll be out of town until the 30th. I'm almost done but berking exhausted and sore.

The seller of the Miata I bought is still ghosting me. It's been 13 berking months since I bought it. I drove 2.5 hours to pick it up and got her the money quickly so she could pay her loan off on it. The title wasn't signed because her bank sent it to my bank. I tried to get her to meet me at my local DMV to get everything completed but she said it was too far. WTF? You are berking retired. I had to use PTO to pick up the car from your house since you were somehow too busy on the weekends. So I had the DMV send the paperwork to the DMV office like 5 minutes from her house. All she literally has to do is call that office and set up an appointment so we can both sign the title and I can finally title and register the car.

But no. It takes her a week to answer my texts and then she promises she will make an appointment. But nothing has been done. I've been making car loan payments and paying insurance premiums on a car I cannot drive. I'm beyond pissed now. I'm about to pursue legal actions against her. This has been berking ridiculous.

My company decided to fire one of my peers last week. There are only 4 (now 3) people who work that position. It completely screwed up holiday vacation for the rest of us. If my pre-scheduled PTO gets changed or cancelled, I'm berking done.

Speaking of money, the U-Haul bill was $400 more than I was expecting. I just got paid on Friday and I'm already broke. It's like I just get my head above water and another wave pushes me back down. Luckily, me and the GF will be flying out Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my parents so our expenses will be minimal while we are there. But I gotta eat and have gas to get to work until then.

I'm exhausted crying

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That's a big ol' "Nope!" from me boss. I was wearing shorts over the weekend.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 2:26 p.m.

My Lead has covid.  He's been out for a week and a half coughing up his A-hole. Tomorrow is my friday and a nothing day, I was scheduled to be in at 5a and have a nice quiet day before the holidays.

Guess who got the go ahead to come back from Covid?  I was planning on going in to work, having breakfast, then a nap, then maybe another nap, and possibly a third, before going home.  Now I gotta deal with a raging A-hole with a possibly deadly virus. Going to do my best to keep a lot of distance between us and wear a mask, I do not need to catch it again or bring it to my elderly mother.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/22/22 7:28 a.m.

Just exactly when did the term 'snack tray' get replaced by 'charcuterie board'?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/22/22 7:35 a.m.
Rodan said:

On hold with Social Security, waiting for a human...  56:09 and counting...

I recently applied for Social Security.  I filled out the online form and sent it in, the next day someone at SS called me to confirm a few details, and then my application was approved.  The whole thing went so smoothly and quickly that I almost fell out of my chair.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/22/22 7:54 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

It's been 13 months and is still in her name? Leave that thing double parked in front of a hydrant somewhere and and drop the insurance. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Except that he'll be in default on the loan and have lost all the money he's invested to date.

(Sunk cost fallacy and all that, I know.)

1 ... 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zhq3Pz45y4Yl0AtqRmmJk8YpmcgVnIBSuYTwL3VqtXYPIXckWP7WrJMfRmgP3Tnk