1 ... 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 ... 1927
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/22 2:12 p.m.
Toyman! said:

By 20 I had a set of Cerwin Vega D9s with two 700-watt monoblocks driving them.

Glorious. Instead of Cerwin Vegas, mine were DBX Soundfield Vs and ... I still have them!

Vintage DBX Soundfield V 5-Way Speakers Pair ( R & L) for Sale in Chicago,  IL - OfferUp

SO LOUD. So glorious.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/22 4:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

It's been 7.5 years, when is the fun, joyful, and fulfilling part of parenting going to start? 

Toyman! said:

In reply to RevRico :

Honest answer. When you decide it starts. It takes some work, but it's doable. 

This.

Parenting is hard work.  If that's all you ever let yourself see, that's all you ever will see.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/22 4:12 p.m.
NickD said:

Is there a worse feeling than hearing a new song, going "Ugh, this is berkeleying awful" and then discovering it's a band you like?

When it becomes suddenly popular and ends up in a bunch of commercials that get aired 5 or 6 times an hour.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
12/6/22 4:29 p.m.

Berking phone bill is going up $5 in January. 

PSA to all Visible Wireless customers: party pay discounts are the perverbial Dodo, destined for extinction. Base plan prices are dropping from $40(-discounts) to a flat $30. Small potatoes, but still. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/22 5:17 p.m.
wae said:

The hatred I have for FedEx burns with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Yesterday they left a package on one of the chairs in our lobby. It's a lobby for a multi-tenant office building, the only reason the recipient got it is because we're on site, noticed it, and delivered it to them. I don't understand how FedEx is so incompetent.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/22 5:24 p.m.
  1. HVAC company 1 sells me a thermostat, estimated ship 11/30/22
  2. On 11/30 I check the site to see what's up; I haven't heard a peep but see that if you buy one now, estimated ship is 1/11/23
  3. I ping HVAC company 1 and ask what's going on. They say "Yes, your estimated ship date is today. Unless we didn't get the stuff, in which case it may get moved to 1/11/23."
  4. Next day, 12/1, I get an email saying my revised ship date is 1/11/23.
  5. I check and a seller on the Brazilian Treeswamp has it now, for $45 less and in stock
  6. I order it, and figure with more than a month before the original order ships, I should wait and make sure order 2 shows up before canceling order 1
  7. Order 2 is out for delivery this afternoon
  8. Five minutes ago I get notification that Order 1 has shipped
  9. Now I get to figure out whether company 1's ridiculous 25% restock on factory-direct stuff applies to this order, since that would cost more than the price difference.

You could argue that I should've canceled the first order when I placed the second one. I would argue that anybody putting any trust in shipping estimates at this point in this year is out of their berking minds, and that I have every reason to be pissed that after being wrong at every attempt at info-gathering so far HVAC Co 1 would get to charge me an $80+ restocking fee because they were a month off on their revised shipping estimate.

P.S.
I have bought my last Samsung appliance as I'm only writing this to waste fifteen minutes of coffee ingestion before pulling out the dishwasher to dry its guts the third time this month. Totally unrelated to the HVAC omnishambles, but pertinent to my mood. Probably Bosch next, though availability will have its say.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

DBX is who the sub was made by. Unfortunately the Cerwin Vegas and the amps were destroyed by a lightning strike. I almost cried. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/22 8:34 a.m.

I have a few close friends. They overlap with Tunawife's friends maybe 30% of the time. My troubles with Tunawife, as documented here decently well, are all with things outside of the friend zone. It's difficult sometimes, when those overlapping people want to know about any issues I am going through, as I can't really talk about them in good faith.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/7/22 8:59 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Sorry to hear that.  Kind of the same way here.

barefootcyborg5000
12/7/22 10:21 a.m.

How does one stop kids from getting up at 5am and attempting to wake the whole building? It would be fine if they'd play quietly or watch tv or anything, but they don't. They insist on waking us up, insist on screaming games, running, tormenting the dog, and just being LOUD. I'm out of ideas. We've tried earlier bedtime, later bedtime, healthy eating, limiting screen exposure, asking nicely, asking not so nicely. This time of year I always have trouble sleeping anyway, and my patience is starting to slip. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/7/22 10:38 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

We've had a nightlight thing that is on a timer and changes color. When it turns blue they can get up and play quietly in their room, when it's pink they can come play out of their room, or something like that. It works great once they're old enough to get it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/7/22 10:46 a.m.

I had a really good, fresh green apple. Three bites in, dropped the damn thing right in the mud. 

I was enjoying that apple. 

barefootcyborg5000
12/7/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

They both can tell time and the standing rule is quiet until 7. They know. They understand. They do not adhere. 

Toyman!
12/7/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Clearly defined punishments for noncompliance. Escalated for repeat offenders. Stick to it and be consistent. Do Not give in, no matter what.

We had decent success with extra chores, loss of entertainment, and loss of privileges as well as rewards for staying within the rules. After living a very spartan life for a week or two, they will come in line. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I don't have any real good advice, but to try and find some people you can share with that you don't have in common. Almost all of my friends also became Jodi's as well, and when things became difficult I just kept putting on a happy face and staying quiet. It put a lot of excess stress on our relationship and took a toll on both my physical and mental health. At the time I thought it was the best way to handle it but it made many things worse for both of us.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/22 11:31 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

I don't have any real good advice, but to try and find some people you can share with that you don't have in common. Almost all of my friends also became Jodi's as well, and when things became difficult I just kept putting on a happy face and staying quiet. It put a lot of excess stress on our relationship and took a toll on both my physical and mental health. At the time I thought it was the best way to handle it but it made many things worse for both of us.  

I have that and make use of it. I have a list of people in my life who actually care, and I check in with them both ways often. That 70% who are not also her friends are valuable for that.

When it rains, it pours...

Today I went to take the GF's Wrangler to the auto hobby shop to see why it has horrible death wobble. Anything over 55 and it starts no matter how smooth the road is.

The base is about 40 miles from her house and I get about half way there and I hear a weird noise. I keep hearing a warning ding but the light doesn't stay on. I finally pull over and notice its the oil light. I baby it about a mile down the road to an AutoAdvanceZoneReillys and add 3 quarts of oil and a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil. The dipstick was dry. That would explain the noise I heard.

I add the oil but the engine is knocking louder and louder. It sounds like bad rod knock. Well berkeley me. I'm going to get it towed back to the house. She has towing coverage but it's only good for up to 15 miles. So I get to pay $122 out of pocket.

Her Wrangler has been pretty reliable up to this point. The power windows died earlier this week and it has horrible death wobble but I attribute that to having almost 200k miles on it. It's had an EVAP code for about 4 years and a TPMS sensor is dying.

She bought it with 30k miles on it and has driven the wheels off of it.

On top of everything else, the fridge started dying last night. The condenser fan is dying. But of course it's NLA.

And I just spent $1k to move out of my house.

Can I have a break pretty please? crying

wae
wae PowerDork
12/7/22 3:51 p.m.

Despite "having a case" berkeleying FedEx still didn't leave the berkeleying package today.

Welp, the Wrangler is completely dead now. The GF got home from work and I went to start it to show her the knocking sound and it seized completely.

We are down to one vehicle now. The seller of the Miata I bought has ghosted me and won't return my texts or calls. I'm actively pursuing legal action against her because she can't be a berkeleying adult. 

I sold some parts because I'm going to have to buy a cheap beater to get to work. I'm in a serious financial pickle right now. I have a few firearms I can sell and some other stuff but it's going to be rough. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/22 10:46 p.m.

I will never understand people that want you to work for them and throw up a million red flags. On one hand I'm grateful they are so ridiculously stupid so I stay far away, but on the other it's astonishing to see such stupidity in motion.

So when I say "midsummer is when I'm available" does this mean "finished by April" to you? Nevermind it's literally ripping off a roof of a house they are living in. In December. With feet of snow on the ground.

Astonishing, I will now point and laugh

Toyman!
12/8/22 8:50 a.m.

13 miles to work. 

1.5 hours to get there. The entire company was late for work this morning. 

Charleston is always one fatal accident away from being shut down.

There are 4 roads leading into town from the northeast, where the majority of the population lives. Due to the rivers and AFB, there aren't any back roads to take and slide past the wrecks. Close any one of them and that's it. Game over. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/22 8:52 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Glad to hear it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/22 8:57 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Charleston is always one fatal accident away from being shut down.

There are 4 roads leading into town from the northeast, where the majority of the population lives. Due to the rivers and AFB, there aren't any back roads to take and slide past the wrecks. Close any one of them and that's it. Game over.

That's how northern Delaware works.  There is basically one main route between any two given points.  95 is the main culprit.  Close it down and the entire county gets gridlocked.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/8/22 8:27 p.m.

I know the LS is a great engine, but I have some serious bone to pick with the guy wo woke up one morning and said "Hey! I've got the perfect place to mount the oil pressure sensor!"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Same place as the small block Chevy.  At least it isn't under the distributor.

1 ... 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Tb82Kl4tgxfEarH4lHL6q0riDeswUpIQ7Q0Jgv0RleQtDCQvXD5m9GHFIDBWtwO