dculberson MegaDork
1/22/23 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

God speed Tracy. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/22/23 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for being there for him.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/22/23 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I. One of those "make me an offer I cant refuse" guys. 

If its on marketplace for a $1 listing,  i will put in the ad to make me an offer. Generally this is for stuff i dont give enough of a E36 M3 to try to research appropriate values. Like parting out my duster donor. Didn't give a E36 M3, and people made offers higher than i would have asked. Everyone was happy. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/22/23 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I sometimes say I have no idea of the value - how much do you need for it.  

I hate those $1,234.00 prices - just put down your asking price. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/22/23 1:15 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:

The lack of basic negotiating skills common across a large swath of the Marketplace crowd is a major pet peeve of mine. The inverse of your example is the "wuts tha lowest u'll take?" idiots. There's a procedure to this, people! Seller sets asking price, buyer makes offer, seller accepts or makes counter offer, and so on and so forth until a price is agreed upon or somebody walks. 

It's stuff like this- I don't negotiate. I message if I think the price is solid, I walk otherwise. Same with anything I sell. I price my # as low as I'm going to go. 

If you try and low-ball me and give me some sob story- I don't want to deal with it. I realize that's not how most people operate but it saves me a lot of trouble and prevents me acting like a dick trying to beat someone just to save a buck.  

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/23 2:13 p.m.

Welp, I've made it unscathed through almost three years of this pandemic, but my number finally got called - tested positive for covid this morning. Woke up yesterday around 4:30-5:00 am feeling like utter trash, and tried to power through my rather extensive to do list of mostly automotive work anyway. I finally hit a wall around mid-afternoon and could barely muster the strength to gather up my tools to put away, and I've been pretty much totally out of commission ever since. What really stinks is I was forced to miss a motorcycle swap meet today that I'd been looking forward to pretty much since last year, although that probably saved me some serious strife with Furious She for sake of not dragging some derelict POS motorcycle home. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/23 2:29 p.m.
Mndsm said:

The lack of basic negotiating skills common across a large swath of the Marketplace crowd is a major pet peeve of mine. The inverse of your example is the "wuts tha lowest u'll take?" idiots. There's a procedure to this, people! Seller sets asking price, buyer makes offer, seller accepts or makes counter offer, and so on and so forth until a price is agreed upon or somebody walks. 

It's stuff like this- I don't negotiate. I message if I think the price is solid, I walk otherwise. Same with anything I sell. I price my # as low as I'm going to go. 

If you try and low-ball me and give me some sob story- I don't want to deal with it. I realize that's not how most people operate but it saves me a lot of trouble and prevents me acting like a dick trying to beat someone just to save a buck.  

I guess what really peeves me isn't that they're not willing to do the whole haggle me down dance, but rather in either case it's that there is clearly have an expectation of value and they're forcing you to guess at that rather than clearly communicate it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/22/23 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E (Forum Supporter) :

They're attempting to start a bidding war without ebay's fees. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/23 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm sorry to hear that, that really sucks. Hopefully his brother and perhaps other family were able to make it there to be with him at the end as well.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/23/23 9:30 a.m.
Mndsm said:

That's largely me. I hate negotiating, and tend to price things about what I think I'd be willing to take. If someone has something up for a decent price (the kind of beat up but still very solid and decent-sized table my 3D printer is sitting on next to my desk at the moment is a good example- seller listed it for $20, I was good with that) I'm not going to try and nickel & dime them on it. I do tend to price things on the higher side of what I'm willing to take simply because I know people like to think they're getting a deal by getting something for less than asking. 

Amusingly, The Dancer is a lot more strict about selling things- when we price things for the annual yard sale fundraiser we have for her non-profit, she tends to try and stick to what we price things at while I'm far more willing to take less to make a sale. I think that comes from the fact that I spent a good number of Saturday mornings as a kid going to yard sales with my Mom & Grandmother and know that it's essentially a given that you're going to haggle over the price to get it for less (and again- I also tend to bias a bit higher when pricing things to account for that). That, and I would rather sell something for 25% less or so and not have to worry about either storing it for another year or taking it to Goodwill to donate after the yard sale...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/23 10:31 a.m.

Can't log on to a (government) job finder site because it's been a few years. Exhaust all options for moving forward. Have wait till this morning to have them call me to reset log on password. In the meantime, the perfect job position has been filled.

Berk.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/23/23 1:34 p.m.

Man, our customers have been really dumb lately. From today:

"When I have the heat turned all the way up, it gets too hot." Umm, try turning it down some, perhaps?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 1:48 p.m.

Work:
Our 4th Quarter was great! Earnings exceed projections! Great job everybody, y'all work so hard!
Next day: Individual Performance Bonuses are getting cut retroactively for 2022.

The retroactive part chaps my ass. If it was "We're reducing the pool for 2023 to keep costs down" I'd be mildly irritated.

By going "We know we worked your ass off last year, but SURPRISE! berkeley YOU!" they've really pissed me off. I've  wrote and re-wrote a very carefully worded feedback and sent it up the chain.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/23/23 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

If you've sent it, no matter how carefully worded, you're probably berkeleyed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/23 3:03 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

If he's berkeleyed because he let management know that aggressively screwing over workers for doing a great job is not cool, then at least everyone at that company is berkeleyed.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/23/23 3:09 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
M2Pilot said:

If he's berkeleyed because he let management know that aggressively screwing over workers for doing a great job is not cool, then at least everyone at that company is berkeleyed.

You and I don't agree on much, but we agree here.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
1/23/23 4:05 p.m.

The POS meth head who totaled my car via hit-and-run is still living their best life on social media while I'm fighting their insurance company.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/23/23 4:21 p.m.

Every year since we've been married, The Dancer and I have gone on some form of vacation over the week our anniversary falls on. For the first few years, we went on cruises similar to our honeymoon. But the year we went on the 10-day Med. cruise in late summer, we obviously didn't think we needed to go on 2 cruises within a few months- and since then we've driven to the East Coast and stayed at the beach. This year we had been planning on doing something different and staying at a cabin near a neat-looking town north of Atlanta that has a number of hikes to waterfalls (which The Dancer loves) nearby. However, with the loss of Marley a few weeks ago, she decided that a) going there as planned would probably just be too painful as it had been planned with him taken into account and b) as long as we didn't get another pet before then, it would probably be a good chance to travel further away than we've been willing to for the last few years because of not wanting to have to board Marley and not having anyone we trust nearby to watch him anymore (the last two times we had friends watch him they weren't around nearly as much as they were supposed to be and had promised they would be). So after some figuring things out, we decided on and booked a short cruise overseas and the necessary flights/hotel along with it.

Unfortunately, we realized that a) my passport had expired a while ago (she'd had to get a new one when we went on the Med. cruise, I'd gotten mine renewed the year before we got married because I went to Europe for a week with friends- the trip where I got to drive on The Ring) and b) it had expired 2 months too long ago to simply renew it. So, I had to fill out the full form and find a place nearby that I could get into on short notice to submit it with Expedited processing. The trip is over 2 months out, and it's supposed to only take 3-5 weeks for the expedited process- but with the current wankery regarding the debt ceiling at the moment I worry that if things aren't resolved that government agencies will have to start making cuts and it will screw with getting the passport back in time. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/23/23 4:26 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Mndsm said:

That's largely me. I hate negotiating, and tend to price things about what I think I'd be willing to take. If someone has something up for a decent price (the kind of beat up but still very solid and decent-sized table my 3D printer is sitting on next to my desk at the moment is a good example- seller listed it for $20, I was good with that) I'm not going to try and nickel & dime them on it. I do tend to price things on the higher side of what I'm willing to take simply because I know people like to think they're getting a deal by getting something for less than asking. 

Amusingly, The Dancer is a lot more strict about selling things- when we price things for the annual yard sale fundraiser we have for her non-profit, she tends to try and stick to what we price things at while I'm far more willing to take less to make a sale. I think that comes from the fact that I spent a good number of Saturday mornings as a kid going to yard sales with my Mom & Grandmother and know that it's essentially a given that you're going to haggle over the price to get it for less (and again- I also tend to bias a bit higher when pricing things to account for that). That, and I would rather sell something for 25% less or so and not have to worry about either storing it for another year or taking it to Goodwill to donate after the yard sale...

Say what you want about Marketplace. Yes, the format is garbage, the search is garbage, and sometimes there's far too much effort involved in actually buying something. But holy carp can it be good for selling. 

I bought a little dune buggy/go kart a few years back for $300. I put another $100 and a day (at work) into it and promptly lost interest. It probably need a good evening's work to be running well again, but I'd moved on. I listed it for $800 on Kijiji, what has typically been the best buy/sell around here. A few hundred hits, but only two responses and no follow up in two days. Put it on MP and my phone was on fire Saturday and Sunday. Yes, a lot of time wasters, but they only wasted their own time, I mostly answered yes or no to their questions, most of which were, will you take.... Guy picked it up this morning, on time,  and paid $700. My experiences have been that for cheap things, $1000 or less, MP is the way to go. Selling a $10k race bike or car? Kijiji all the way

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/23/23 4:40 p.m.

Daughter doing well in marching band and wanted to step up to a better Xylophone.  Decent school one they pushed you to rent-to-buy was $2000 after payments and a guy was asking $1000 for his as his daughter outgrew it and was moving on.  We arrive, check it out and I ask how much he'll take. He tells me it's $1,000 and he didn't price into it any negotiating.

I say; you're asking $1,000 but what about less and EVERYBODY negotiates a lower price.  The ad said nothing about firm or low ballers not invited.  

He tells me $1,000.  By now daughter and wife are ashamed, embarrassed and shocked that I would ask and can't believe how I acted.  We discuss more and then I told them we'll take it for $1,000.  

Then they offer to throw in $100+ worth of mallets that now were useless to them.  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/23 11:29 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Every year since we've been married, The Dancer and I have gone on some form of vacation over the week our anniversary falls on. For the first few years, we went on cruises similar to our honeymoon. But the year we went on the 10-day Med. cruise in late summer, we obviously didn't think we needed to go on 2 cruises within a few months- and since then we've driven to the East Coast and stayed at the beach. This year we had been planning on doing something different and staying at a cabin near a neat-looking town north of Atlanta that has a number of hikes to waterfalls (which The Dancer loves) nearby. However, with the loss of Marley a few weeks ago, she decided that a) going there as planned would probably just be too painful as it had been planned with him taken into account and b) as long as we didn't get another pet before then, it would probably be a good chance to travel further away than we've been willing to for the last few years because of not wanting to have to board Marley and not having anyone we trust nearby to watch him anymore (the last two times we had friends watch him they weren't around nearly as much as they were supposed to be and had promised they would be). So after some figuring things out, we decided on and booked a short cruise overseas and the necessary flights/hotel along with it.

Unfortunately, we realized that a) my passport had expired a while ago (she'd had to get a new one when we went on the Med. cruise, I'd gotten mine renewed the year before we got married because I went to Europe for a week with friends- the trip where I got to drive on The Ring) and b) it had expired 2 months too long ago to simply renew it. So, I had to fill out the full form and find a place nearby that I could get into on short notice to submit it with Expedited processing. The trip is over 2 months out, and it's supposed to only take 3-5 weeks for the expedited process- but with the current wankery regarding the debt ceiling at the moment I worry that if things aren't resolved that government agencies will have to start making cuts and it will screw with getting the passport back in time. 

If it gets down to a week or so- reach out to your local Congress person.  I've had to do this twice, and they all have someone on staff that handles these things. 

In the height of Covid we had an overseas wedding that we were photographing. My passport had been at the passport center for 12 weeks for an expedited renewal. I called and they said there was no possible way that I would have it. Someone, I believe in this thread possibly, said to reach out to my congressman. I did so and had the passport IN HAND in about 18 hours. They somehow got it moved to the head of the line, completed, and overnighted to me for no charge. It was incredible. 

The second time we got an appointment for my daughter at a same day center that was allegedly not possible. Congressman got us an appointment and we had no issues. 

1/23/23 11:56 p.m.

The entire negotiating schism will never be resolved: 

SIDE 1: Do you haggle over the price of a gallon of milk at the grocery store? Of course not. Why do you want to haggle with me?
SIDE 2: (in a grocery store, talking to the cashier) This milk expires tomorrow, I notice you have 35 gallons to get rid of before then. Think you could mark it down to half price for me? Call the manager if you have to.

Both sides want to maximize the number of dollars they wind up with in their own pocket, and both sides can't win. The fair result is when both sides are both a bit unhappy about everything.

1/24/23 12:07 a.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

My feedback is unlikely to cause me any problems. 
They already hemorrhaged head count during the past two years due to work load and culture changes, and a non-zero number of people have mentioned that they're probably going to leave the company after this vestment date for (retirement, bonus, 401k, whatever) this year. They expected that to happen, but it happened a bit faster and in a larger volume than anticipated.

1/24/23 12:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

If he's berkeleyed because he let management know ....

Not just "management," it's Executive Management. Everybody director level down was affected by the announcement.

1 ... 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JJb9zDa1HJe1XkdlgqrywdcheEFHYbgy7pxZT5YGX1WRQXxS93i2MDbquuNxPffh