1 ... 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 ... 1926
APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/10/23 11:55 a.m.
j_tso said:

Back hurts from the dentist visit. Am I getting old?

I was also about to go all Larry David on them and comment on how the armrests insufficiently support the elbows when reclined.

I hurt mine washing my hair and, I'm mostly bald!  Seriously.  I'm laying on the floor on a heating pad to get some relief right now.   Sometimes life is just stupid.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/10/23 12:10 p.m.

My dentist sold his practice and retired since last I was in. I go in for my 6 month cleaning and check up and the dental hygienist says "OK, we need to get some xrays" Nope. Not happening. They are on file, go look. Finally she says she'll ask the doctor. Comes back and says we can skip it this time and do them next time. There ain't gonna be a next time. I want my berkin' teeth cleaned. It's that simple.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/10/23 12:22 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oh, you mean one of those rat bastards that buy out half a venu to resell at ridiculous prices? I'm not sure who I hate more, them or Ticketbastard WHO WILLINGLY ALLOWS THEM  TO DO IT.

Billy Idol is performing near us in May.  Based on what I am seeing available right now, I'm going to just wait until a few days before the concert to see if a bunch of tickets become available, or if resell prices drop.  If not, I'll miss out, but I'm not paying extortionate prices for tickets.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 12:31 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oh, you mean one of those rat bastards that buy out half a venu to resell at ridiculous prices? I'm not sure who I hate more, them or Ticketbastard WHO WILLINGLY ALLOWS THEM  TO DO IT.

We went and saw Todd Snyder in November. Bought tickets directly from venue for $30 each. 2 tickets cost $130 after bullE36 M3 fees. 

I quit going through ticketbastard and livenation because of their bullE36 M3 fees, now there's an entire venue I won't be patronizing because $10 beers doesn't make them enough money they need to double the ticket costs for no berkeleying reason. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/10/23 12:52 p.m.

Meh, service fees don't bother me any more than paperwork fees do at a car dealership.

The important part is the bottom line.  It's either acceptable or it isn't.  I don't really care what line items you put above the bottom line to get there. 

This was acceptable.  I just feel stupid for not catching myself and inadvertently supporting the business model.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 12:52 p.m.

Not really a rant, but this is as good a place as any and I am kind of glued to the office for the rest of the day. 

My admin partied a little too hard last night. She toughed it out until I put my lunch in the microwave. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/10/23 1:55 p.m.

Just called to check on an order for parts placed last Sunday, for which I paid for two day shipping... was supposed to arrive today, but still showing not shipped.  One item out of the many ordered was out of stock (showed in stock when I ordered), so the whole order was sitting and waiting...

Here's an idea:  put a flag in your system so you can contact the customer under these circumstances and see if they want you to ship the balance of the order.  The fact that a customer paid extra for expedited shipping is a clue... 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/10/23 2:07 p.m.

Putting together a list of alloys for a very specific use case. I've paid for and read through hundreds of pages of NACE, ISO, ASTM and ANSI documentation, many other hundreds of pages of data sheets and whitepapers, and have complied a list of eight to sample and put together preliminary stress limits for each along with processing information for each alloy to achieve the proper characteristics. I send it out.

A vice president of our company responds with worry because he heard one of the elements in most of the alloys on the Joe Rogan show in a bad light.

I am glad I am getting paid 1/4th of his salary, and I think it's time for another career move.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/23 3:02 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Putting together a list of alloys for a very specific use case. I've paid for and read through hundreds of pages of NACE, ISO, ASTM and ANSI documentation, many other hundreds of pages of data sheets and whitepapers, and have complied a list of eight to sample and put together preliminary stress limits for each along with processing information for each alloy to achieve the proper characteristics. I send it out.

A vice president of our company responds with worry because he heard one of the elements in most of the alloys on the Joe Rogan show in a bad light.

I am glad I am getting paid 1/4th of his salary, and I think it's time for another career move.

My wife recently went on a rant about him. A diabetic that she talks to asked her opinion on... Mouthwash. Turns out that if you use mouthwash 2+ times a day, you're x% more likely to have diabetes. There was some moron on Rogan's idiocy platform who was spouting this off, just asking questions, not-implying-but-totally-implying that mouthwash use is linked to diabetes. NO, YOU IRRESPONSIBLE berkeleyING SCUMBAGS. Diabetes often causes ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis causes bad breath, and people often mask bad breath with... Wait for it... MOUTHWASH.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/23 3:18 p.m.

Rant continued here from this post in the meme thread.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Sorry to interject some seriousness into your Friday morning Meme-ing.  These two are a great example of why we need to be carefull about reducing everything to memes for laughs.  The problem is many take them too seriously as an actual data point.

volvoclearinghouse said:

May be an image of 6 people and text that says 'BITTER TRUTH Start a business 1,300 Too risky. iPhone -$1,300 Newest model is a must. Healthy groceries $50- Too expensive. Dinner date- $50- Reasonable. Learning a new skill: wish had time. Watching Netflix: Time flies, let's watch another one. Choose rightly & wisely. Because what you prioritize and invest in today will determine your tomorrow.'

This one oversimplifies wants, needs, and the reality of individual character traits.  I may be a director of Engineering who controls budgets in the multiple millions and makes decisions that can have long term benefits or issues in the tens or hundreds of millions.  But I am not suited to running my own business or making the best long term financial decisions myself.  The issue is when it's my money on the line I have a tendency to panic and not always follow the same calm logic as I do with far greater sums at work. 

Thank you. This one has been bugging me in particular - I agree with the general idea, but the comparisons it is making are incredibly silly and the subjects and dollar amounts are all cherry picked to make people look lazy if they're struggling financially. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/10/23 3:40 p.m.

WOW internet issued me a $212 refund. They issued it via a PrePaid MasterCard instead of by Check, or Direct Deposit from the bank account they had drawn the money from. Infuriating.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/23 3:47 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

WOW internet issued me a $212 refund. They issued it via a PrePaid MasterCard instead of by Check, or Direct Deposit from the bank account they had drawn the money from. Infuriating.

FYI - I use any prepaid cards on my water bill. The website that my town uses allows us to make payments at any time for any amount. So as soon as I get a prepaid gift card, I'll spend its full amount on my water bill and then throw it away.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/10/23 5:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

The stuff that doesn't involve  conspiracy theory/do-your-own-research insanity is usually a lot of fun. When Jake "The Snake" Roberts was on, it was most entertaining on Rogan.

But horseE36 M3 like that is tiresome. Hey. did you know gratuitous amounts of water and cinnamon cure diabetes? Diabetes that vaccines created?

Holy berk,  get out of my face with that E36 M3.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/23 7:13 p.m.

I figured out the scam too late.

My son crashed the family Bimmer. The tow truck driver said that he should have it towed to his pals body shop so he does so. I meet my son at the shop, take one look and go "This sucker's totalled.  Surprisingly, a few days later the repair shop comes out with a very low estimate based on used door skins and such. Allstate says go ahead and fix it. A day or two later it's "Oh, we found more stuff, here's the change order". They do this three times till the adjusted total hits the write-off point. Allstate writes it off, but the repair shop wants $200/day for storage fees, plus $260 for a couple hours of tear-down.

$200/day storage? I think that the place knew damn well that it was a write off, but they sat on the car so they could make money by doing nothing. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/10/23 7:38 p.m.

Where's that thread about everyone wanting to get tipped???

The guy at the parking garage across the street from Burbank airport handed me one of those credit card readers with a default tip of 10%.

Um, five days at $20 dollars per day is $100 so the default tip is $10 for what, one minute of unskilled labor.

I'd already given the shuttle driver $3 cash as he loaded / unloaded my 45 Lb. bag, didn't waste time, and created a very pleasant "welcome home" vibe.

You want tip money, get your lazy a$$ out of the booth and hustle like the shuttle driver does.

Sam Kinison voice "Oh, OH, OHHH!!!, and I'm pretty sure he has to have a CDL to do his job...he gets a tip - no tip for you boother. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/11/23 9:25 a.m.

As my children grow up I can see that I'm going to be lost when they move out. So much of my life has revolved around providing for and caring for them that I won't know what to do with myself when they leave. The oldest has her license and drives them to school and band, sports, etc. And the youngest is only 11 months behind her. I'm already pretty bitter about working tons of overtime on 2nd and 3rd shift (which I'm still doing, of course) and missing out on too many activities and milestones.

It hit me the other day when my wife made an offhand comment about what it would be like if we currently had an infant or toddler and I immediately blurted out, "I don't want another kid, I want to raise them again.".

It's not that I don't enjoy the time we have now, it's amazing but, I feel like maybe I could have done better. Maybe pushed myself more, changed jobs sooner, climbed out of poverty a little more quickly. I don't know...I'm still on 3rd shift so it's bed time and I'm getting all whingey.

My rant:

Kids are only young once and you only get one shot.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
2/11/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

On the bright side, you'll get to start spending time with your kids as friends and adults, in addition to family.  

My advice from personal experience is develop hobbies YOU think would be fun, to help you stand on your own as a person, but then invite your kids to share in your newfound enthusiam.  Example:

My dad retired, and decided he wanted to try riding motorcycles again (he gave it up in the 80s when he had kids).  He shared this with me: I ride, and own several.  I was like, "come on down for the weekend, we'll knock the rust off puttering around the neighborhood, and take an easy ride over to get dinner somewhere".  We did, and it was awesome.  We both took the MSF course together as a refresher, and had a lot of good times.  

I have an extended family member who went the other way, and only wants to discuss how life was when their kids were 8.  It has limited their ability to adapt and enjoy the present.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/11/23 2:46 p.m.

At my in laws right now. This is way too warm. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/23 2:50 p.m.

I am starting to be disappointed in Toyota. My factory catalytic converter rusted out after 20 years on my Tacoma. There is only salt on the roads in the winter. Why have a Tacoma for a winter beater if this is going to happen?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/11/23 2:56 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'll wear a t-shirt to my in-laws on a bitter cold midwestern day.  Wife always flips out asking - it's January; why are you wearing a t-shirt?  

Later when it's tropical at their house she compliments me for my wisdom as she is overheating with a sweat shirt on. 

wae
wae PowerDork
2/11/23 3:18 p.m.

I detest begging for volunteers.  Yet I seem to always manage to find myself responsible for finding volunteers for things.  For the fish fry, I'm supposed to be marshaling volunteers to serve the dine-in guests but most people just tell the guy who's been running the event forever.  That's left me in a position where I never know who's going to show up because I have my list of people, there's the list of people that told Bob they'd come, and then there's people that would just show up.  Sometimes I'd have way too many people, other times I'd be begging people to stay late and cover a second shift.  During the planning for this year, I've been stressing that we need to have a centralized point for all the signups and I wanted to funnel everybody to the one I've been using.  Everybody said that was a great idea and wanted to go along with it.

We had a meeting on Thursday evening at which I told people that I had the Signup.com uh..  signup? ready to go and that if there were any other additions that they should be sent to me asap.  I promised to send the link to the committee for review first thing Friday morning and then today, around 1400 I was going to use the parish app to send out a push notification with a link to the signup.

Instead, Friday afternoon - after I sent out a link to the signup for the committee to review - someone sends out a push notification to the parish that we need volunteers and they should call Bob if they can help out.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/11/23 4:27 p.m.

If your phone (Pixel 3a) is obsolete after 2 years of ownership, then your phone is a chunk of crap. You've had 3 Pixels in the 7 years I've known you.  It's either operator error or E36 M3ty phones.

I'm rocking an S8. It was a 2 year old used phone when I picked it up. It has been nearly flawless.

Be honest. You want a new phone. Because reasons.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/11/23 5:25 p.m.
The_Jed said:

My rant:

Kids are only young once and you only get one shot.

You do the best you can with what you have and you have to be comfortable with that.  I never missed a game or practice of my older son and he played a lot of hockey, but I got a big time chance working shifts that I knew would change that. I didn't like it but I knew it would be best overall for everybody and did it. Just like you working shifts and overtime. 

But don't feel bad, if your relationship is good with your kids you'll see lots of them, and eventually their families, too, and enjoy seeing the adults that you created. And it will come full circle.  We vacation with our kids regularly and now that they have their own children, my wife is a not only doing it all over again, she's better at it and more comfortable doing it.  She's actually having way more fun than she ever did as a mom. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/23 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

We had a couple tow ins go missing, didn't find out about it until a regular customer called for a tow, called us to let us know about it, and then the car never showed up.

The towing company was also a repair shop, and they had been redirecting tows to their company.

I mean, legally, that is auto theft, and I'd have had half a mind to call for a tow for my car, and then when it didn't show up, report it as stolen...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/11/23 7:39 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Those people are monsters. 

1 ... 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szZ9NfYgZVYsajLUdKrjT30XJnp2p14ApVcZtDe34ZOUHidc098Pw6vxTwujkw0r