1 ... 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 ... 1926
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/11/23 7:53 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Our church was doing a 6 week Bible study and associate Pastor recruited the homes we were meeting in and I had to recruit the moderators.  It was a short video then the moderator would steer everyone through predetermined questions to get folks to discuss and think.  

Most people freaked thinking they were teaching a 90 minute class.  No, no - just ask questions and the group does all the discovering.

Recruiting was a pain in the neck then people would avoid me when they said they'd think about it.  I don't care if you're not interested - just tell me and I'll move on. 

I put in an online order at my local AutoBone store for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (on sale for $20!) and a bottle of power steering fluid. Both products were in stock and I opted for the store pickup option. I figured I'd swing by there on my way home from running errands today. Hopefully a few hours would be enough time for them to pull my order, right?

The ready for pickup email came over 8 hours later. And they helpfully sent it 7 minutes before the store closed. I guess I'm not changing the oil today. 

In the future, I won't rely on the online ordering. I'll just stop in and pick it up my damn self frown.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/23 12:01 a.m.
Appleseed said:

If your phone (Pixel 3a) is obsolete after 2 years of ownership, then your phone is a chunk of crap. You've had 3 Pixels in the 7 years I've known you.  It's either operator error or E36 M3ty phones.

I'm rocking an S8. It was a 2 year old used phone when I picked it up. It has been nearly flawless.

Be honest. You want a new phone. Because reasons.

I don't want to yuck your yum. If you're happy, great, but your S8 is obsolete. So is the Pixel 3a. Both have reached end of support, and neither manufacturer is releasing new security updates.

Security Updates Scope | Samsung Mobile Security
Learn when you'll get software updates on Google Pixel phones - Nexus Help

Both Google and Samsung are doing a better job of committing to update duration and actually shipping security updates on time, so the next phone should have a lot more life.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/12/23 12:30 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

I sure hope she gets more than 2 years out of it before Google forces her to by another phone due to "obsolescence."  I do like how they've convinced everyone that this is perfectly normal.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/12/23 6:06 a.m.

5:30am, woken right the berkeley up by a Charlie horse. Second tine this week. 

Di. Not. Reccomend. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/12/23 6:20 a.m.

This is one big reason my family and I stick to iPhones. People like to rant about apples prices but we use phones for a long time and Apple phones keep getting updated for a long time. I think I got a security update on my iPhone 6 when it was seven years old! The Pixel 3a was only released 3 years ago! That's ridiculous. I have an android tablet thing that is completely useless because it wont update anything and can't even connect to secure web pages any more due to certificate expirations. I can't connect to the google play store due to its age. Talk about engineering in obsolescence! Ugh. 

My current phone is an iPhone 11 which is 3 years old and it feels modern to me and even keeps getting functionality updates (recently added the live ocr in photos which I love) and works great. This stuff should not be disposable on such a rapid basis. 

Hell, when I went to get rid of my iPhone 6 I sold it for $75. Try that with a seven year old android phone. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/12/23 8:12 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, I was perusing Facebook Marketplace for MR-2 Spyders and every single one of them was in the $7k-9k range and had the line of "Needs an engine, smokes badly, burns lots of oil." A vehicle that needs an engine is not a $9k vehicle, sorry. And the most expensive one also needed the convertible top replaced.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/12/23 8:53 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

The market only depreciated ~10% since it's peak last year, and Facebook users are typically the last to accept reality. Couple that with tax season nearly upon us, and you'll continue to see optomistic pricing for quite some time

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/12/23 9:28 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'll agree with that.  It was one of the reasons I switched to an iPhone.  My first smartphone was a fancy droid razor max, that made it about 2 years or so before it was slow as hell, and at the time, Android's privacy settings were crap, so I switched to a Windows phone.  Loved it, but Verizon kept holding off on approving a major OS update, and of course some common apps were unavailable.  I gave up on it after 3 years.  My base model iPhone 8 has been fine for over 5 years now.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/12/23 9:45 a.m.

I finally caved and went through the process to spin up a VM that is used for absolutely nothing else so that I could create a stupid facebook account in order to use marketplace since craigslist is basically dead.  About 90 seconds after I posted the Goldwing for sale, I get the "Is this still available" followed by the "I can pick it up today.."

So tell me..  why do I have to go through all this rigamarole to get a facebook account approved by sending a picture of myself and crap and yet these scammers can just waltz on through the front door?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to wae :

You are a braver man than I.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/23 10:27 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I agree with all of this. My wife cling to non iPhones for years and had a lot of issues. She switched and all was good. Little NYN got an iPhone to handle his diabetes tools (CGM and insulin pump) all was good then Insulet releases (the absolutely amazing) Omnipod 5 that isn't compatible with iPhone yet so we had to get a Samsung Galaxy 10. The phone is just a piece of E36 M3 compared to an iPhone. The tactile feel is awful and it's super glitchy. The day they approve iPhones for the 5 I am at the store. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/12/23 11:42 a.m.

I posted about this in my own personal ignore thread (har-har-har) but I'll make it a mainstream rant. There is a group running a charter trip that seemed really neat. Only way to get tickets is to mail them a check with a pre-stamped, pre-adressed return envelope. C'mon, it's the year 2023, set up a website.

So I send them a check, it took three weeks for them, or someone, to cash it. And keep in mind, I'm in NY and the address is PA, we are not talking cross-country distances here. And two weeks later I'm still waiting for tickets.

Similarly, there's a local-ish group that is always asking for donations and complaining that fundraising for their big project is going really slow. The only way to donate? You guessed it, mail them a check. Guarantee if they set up a website, they'd have better luck.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
2/12/23 12:32 p.m.

It kind of dawned on me today, why when I get my RN license I'm gonna bounce from my current hospital- and also why this one can't seem to break it's current patient limit.

These bitches have no berkeleying discipline. I have, for years, been steadily waltzing into a role of "proto-manager" because I was the only one on the floor willing to to force phones or contact methods onto the nurses, and like any other today its the same problems we've had ever since I was hired. Again I had to be king dick and order a nurse to get a working phone. Again I get whiny horseE36 M3 when I'm asking why their call lights are 20 minutes long. Again I have a doctor who couldn't talk to a berkeleystick like you because you can't do a basic task of your job.

My nursing program literally kicked a dude out because he wasn't answering lights on his clinical rotations, and I'm literally working 12s Sat/Sun/Thurs, School Mon/Wed and clinical Thurs/Fri. I do not care, nor do I have the time, to listen to some crusty bitch is gonna whine at me because her needy patient is calling again and "I can't be expected to do everything!!!!" Go fellate a cactus, literally half these problems I can now firmly say is because you suck.

I've now worked 4+ other hospitals and only this one has that problem.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/12/23 12:37 p.m.
NickD said:

Just out of curiosity, I was perusing Facebook Marketplace for MR-2 Spyders and every single one of them was in the $7k-9k range and had the line of "Needs an engine, smokes badly, burns lots of oil." A vehicle that needs an engine is not a $9k vehicle, sorry. And the most expensive one also needed the convertible top replaced.

The bike market is the same. Every day I see an ad that reads something like 2012 CRF250 (it's always a Honda) mint condition, engine needs complete rebuild $4250. 
Even if it really was perfect ... and running, it's an 11 year old 4 stroke mx bike, it wouldn't be worth what you're asking, or anything, really. 
There was always a certain group of people that thought their stuff was worth more than it actually is. I think they're taking the return to price normalcy particularly hard. It's going to be an interesting spring 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/23 1:09 p.m.

Re phones - I usually have a Droid for work as I keep semi-separate phones for that (legacy of an ex-employer who expected people to hook up their personal phones to the company systems and then reserved the rights to wipe them remotely). I don't need a full on top of the line phone, just a nice one, but I also need regular security updates. Some of the promised updates for my current phone haven't materialized and given that I'm getting close to six months with no security updates, I probably need to upgrade the phone again. I'm trying really hard to not give Tim Apple more money as I already have a personal iPhone, but it's hard to make a compelling case for another Droid that will get a max of 3-4 years of security updates and potentially even less if I get one of the ones I actually would like (looking at you, S*ny).

Given that more recent advances in cellphone tech have been very incremental there really isn't a good reason for the short lifespan.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/23 11:43 p.m.

Apple does tend to support phones longer, but they don't do a great job of managing and communicating specific terms. There are a handful of Apple devices that have been left out in the cold, and some that have gotten absolutely epic support cycles, depending on whether you were unlucky or luck about what the compatibility was with the next chip was. iPods sold in, what, may of last year don't get the iOS version announced in June of last year. At the same time, there have been devices occasionally getting a patch 8 years on. My sole gripe is Apple doesn't really have a formal standard published for when the last update will come.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/13/23 8:02 a.m.

Does anybody even buy an iPod any more?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/13/23 8:12 a.m.
Duke said:

If they sold and supported the iPod Touch still, I'd probably buy one just for work related apps to get them off my personal phone.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/23 12:01 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:

If they sold and supported the iPod Touch still, I'd probably buy one just for work related apps to get them off my personal phone.  

An iPod Touch was the first i-device that I got The Dancer like 12 years ago, back before she would even accept getting a smartphone- and she has since then used them for setting up playlists for the music she needs for teaching dance classes. I picked up a newer, larger one for her 3-4 years ago, but its battery has been having issues and of course, they no longer make the Touch. Heck, I don't think they make iPods at all any more.

Our solution? Given how many pictures/videos she takes and that we're going on a trip in a month and a half where having a better camera in one of our phones so I'm not dragging the DSLR all over the place, we picked up an iPhone 13 Mini for her (her hands are just too small to use the now-'normal-sized' phones) and are planning on just not having a SIM card in her old SE2 and she's going to use that as her 'iPod' for music.

My rant? We got the new phone in early last week. We can't set up the new phone because she won't let me back up the old phone (because she thinks it will take forever). We were supposed to back the phone up last night, but she was busy with something on it. Since it's been a while I decided to test it by backing up my phone just now- admittedly my iMac is much faster than her MacMini- but we have the same capacity and model phones, and it took like 10 minutes...

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/13/23 1:32 p.m.

Finally thought I was going to wrap up the paperwork for my car wreck two months ago. Just have to send the title to the insurance co and they send me a check. Except I can't find the title. Filed for a replacement which should have been in my mailbox last Saturday....except some berkeleyer stole our mail. I'm sure the "DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE" return address gave the thief hope it was a tax return check. So now I have to go BACK to the DMV and get them to mail the replacement replacement title to my PO box.

It's just one thing after another with every single car wreck I've ever been in. Nothing ever goes right and I get screwed....every....single...time.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/13/23 5:27 p.m.

Not so minor rant.. that railroad derailment here in Ohio has polluted the waters of a creek system that is basically my 8 year old's happy place in this world. She absolutely loves Little Beaver Creek and we've been there several times in the last six months despite a three hour drive to get there. I don't even know how I'm going to tell her. Norfolk & Southern also had a derailment next to my office building about 25 years ago, severed our power lines and inundated the ground around our building - fortunately with coconut oil but it could have just as easily been as hazardous as the East Palestine stuff they're spewing. I'm so done with hazardous chemicals being toted around basically unmonitored.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/13/23 6:11 p.m.

My 22 year old nephew is a conductor for NS hoping to move up to an engineer in his career.  They are pushing for one guy alone to operate those locomotives.  It might get scarier.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/23 6:15 p.m.
dculberson said:

Not so minor rant.. that railroad derailment here in Ohio has polluted the waters of a creek system that is basically my 8 year old's happy place in this world. She absolutely loves Little Beaver Creek and we've been there several times in the last six months despite a three hour drive to get there. I don't even know how I'm going to tell her. Norfolk & Southern also had a derailment next to my office building about 25 years ago, severed our power lines and inundated the ground around our building - fortunately with coconut oil but it could have just as easily been as hazardous as the East Palestine stuff they're spewing. I'm so done with hazardous chemicals being toted around basically unmonitored.

It's okay!  Nobody knows about it because the police are arresting reporters.

(which is the only reason I know about it)

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/23 10:03 p.m.

I realize that not everyone is a mechanic, but if car rental is your job you should know something.

I rented a Turo while on Oahu so it didn't look like a rental car since theft is so high. I chose a Challenger just because I wanted to drive one for an extended period of time to see if I liked it. The car was ok, but too big for the garages here.

The main problem is it desperately needed maintenance. The guy put big wide tires on it that scrubbed at any bump and the tires were ancient and cracked heavily. Plus they had been scrubbing forever and had little threads hanging off them. He put an exhaust cutout on it that just rattled like hell and didn't really sound all that nice at idle really. The cherry on top is the wipers didn't have any blades left, really.....how do you rent this out? An alignment would have been nice too.

And he was hours late for pickup, there's some obvious reasons why this is a problem for people traveling. Hopefully not all Turo is like this

1 ... 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
52WuNQctGOG9UJifjfwP1NFCjQUkl0JhRKwKt8x5VRjroVqIRMxq8zyQ8fWjibmc